May 24, 2018, 06:20:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maryland Seafood Trade Workforce Nearly Halved by Lottery  (Read 861 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »

http://www.wboc.com/story/38187384/still-no-crab-pickers-watermen-from-other-counties-worry

"Most of the pickers would be here by now. They should've been here about two weeks ago," Bradshaw said. "We as a council can't do nothing about it except stay in constant contact with our federal leaders."

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
LewCrab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

http://www.wboc.com/story/38187384/still-no-crab-pickers-watermen-from-other-counties-worry

"Most of the pickers would be here by now. They should've been here about two weeks ago," Bradshaw said. "We as a council can't do nothing about it except stay in constant contact with our federal leaders."

TRUTH!

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »

There's no crabs to pick anyway? They can't pay them to sit around and pick their noses.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »

MD Crabmeat price is going up.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »

I hate to say it but the Maryland Crabmeat I bought last year was poor quality and high priced . It will probably be worse this year with smaller crabs and more sponge crabs. More shell than crab meat. The lump looked like oat meal. Everyone is selling Venezuela jumbo Lump @ around $18 lb. The least amount of shell in the crabmeat was in Venezuela by far. That's what most of the good restaurants use these days. Louisiana jumbo lump was the best if you could find it. I haven't been able to find it yet this year. The flavor is better than Venezuela but more shell to pick out..The cost was $22 lb. for Louisiana Jumbo Lump last year . Regular Lump looks like the old standard regular body crab meat, called special. Crabmeat used to be picked as 1)Back Fin ,true to name 2)regular,special or deluxe ,( body meat) and claw. Now you have 1) Jumbo Lump ( Largest Backfin)2) Lump ( mostly body meat with backfin mixed in ) and 3)claw. I guess next they will have Jumbo claw? Like everything else, the quality is going down as the price goes up.

Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »

I hate to say it but the Maryland Crabmeat I bought last year was poor quality and high priced . It will probably be worse this year with smaller crabs and more sponge crabs. More shell than crab meat. The lump looked like oat meal. Everyone is selling Venezuela jumbo Lump @ around $18 lb. The least amount of shell in the crabmeat was in Venezuela by far. That's what most of the good restaurants use these days. Louisiana jumbo lump was the best if you could find it. I haven't been able to find it yet this year. The flavor is better than Venezuela but more shell to pick out..The cost was $22 lb. for Louisiana Jumbo Lump last year . Regular Lump looks like the old standard regular body crab meat, called special. Crabmeat used to be picked as 1)Back Fin ,true to name 2)regular,special or deluxe ,( body meat) and claw. Now you have 1) Jumbo Lump ( Largest Backfin)2) Lump ( mostly body meat with backfin mixed in ) and 3)claw. I guess next they will have Jumbo claw? Like everything else, the quality is going down as the price goes up.
Thanks a lot for buying foreign crab meat and talking [curd] about Maryland crab meat
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

Thanks a lot for buying foreign crab meat and talking [curd] about Maryland crab meat
I thought it was good, honest intel from a guy who samples many different types of crab-in-a-tub.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »

Angel's advertising Venezuela Lump for $9.99. What's MD lump going for now?

lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »

Coming from someone who cooks for a living, when I'm cooking at home if I'm not using meat from crabs i caught/picked its Venezuela jumbo for $16-$20 a pound all day. And ive had some surprisingly good crab meat samples at food shows.....that was a tough job sampling jumbo lump lol. In a cost vs quality ratio you cant beat it. I hate to say it but with the Maryland meat you have to bust up the few lumps there are trying to get the shells out. Its a shame about the visas but in business you always need a back up plan, like they said in the article or on tv even if they got them now its still probably too late
Redbone

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »

Angel's advertising Venezuela Lump for $9.99. What's MD lump going for now?
Some folks will buy the cheaper meat . They don't care where the [Sam Hill] its from. Then there are folks that will pay more and support American commercial fishermen

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »

Coming from someone who cooks for a living, when I'm cooking at home if I'm not using meat from crabs i caught/picked its Venezuela jumbo for $16-$20 a pound all day. And ive had some surprisingly good crab meat samples at food shows.....that was a tough job sampling jumbo lump lol. In a cost vs quality ratio you cant beat it. I hate to say it but with the Maryland meat you have to bust up the few lumps there are trying to get the shells out. Its a shame about the visas but in business you always need a back up plan, like they said in the article or on tv even if they got them now its still probably too late

The visa issue has been going on for a while. Any business owner that depends on part time help like that is taking a chance on failure. Seasonal workers always take a job that pays more then the other job.  In the construction field, top payer gets all the help he needs.  Low balling help will bite you at some point when another company offers more money or better benefits.

Depending on the government to do the right thing is another risky move. Especially with the immigration issues that have been going on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home