November 20, 2018, 02:51:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakfast!  (Read 206 times)
KC_Jones
Supporting Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »

So I tried something different this weekend and thought I would share.  So I love Eggs Benedict, so over the years I have tried different variations of that theme just for fun.  Well I decided to get some of my crab into the mix and it turned out pretty good.

Breakdown from the bottom.  Half an English muffin very lightly toasted and buttered, one slice of bacon broken in half, a crab cake, poached egg and then it's all topped with a crab gravy.  I wouldn't change anything about it other than a smaller crab cake to get the proportions right, the other flavors got a bit lost with as much crab cake as I made.  Other than that it was delicious.

The only real recipe to post is for the gravy, which really is pretty straight forward if you've ever made sausage gravy.  I made the crab cakes, but reserved about half a cup of the mixture.  I took that and sautÚd it in some of the bacon fat and butter that I cooked the crab cakes in.  Doing it in the same pan as the crab cakes (after they are removed) adds flavor.  After the mixture was browned up a bit I added about 1/4-1/3 cup of flour and cooked that until I had a light brown rue.  I then added milk until the consistency was right and seasoned with some old bay.

One other takeaway, I think the crab gravy would work well with biscuits and nothing else.  My wife suggested the above with a biscuit instead of the English muffin as the muffins can get a touch difficult to cut.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:02:33 PM by KC_Jones » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »

looks great

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Stabilizer

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »

Very interesting (I would pass on the egg) the gravy, small crab cake on an English muffin- yes, I will try that!  Thanks!
KC_Jones
Supporting Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:18:42 PM »

I love eggs, but fully appreciate they aren't for everyone.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

After the mixture was browned up a bit I added about 1/4-1/3 cup of flower and cooked that until I had a light brown rue. 

That looks absolutely delicious. Just one question, did you use tulips or lilies?

KC_Jones
Supporting Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »

Neither, I used mums.

It's fixed now.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:24:22 AM »

LOL.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:56:15 AM »

That looks delicious. I have been enjoying some crab meat on my eggs the past 2 weeks, but that there takes it up a couple of notches.

Here's a good thought for you, at the Wye Party next year, we all could use a good breakfast before we get out crabbing in the morning. Maybe at next year's Wye party you can come down and make these for us. What ya think?  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »

Yeah, that's a great idea. Only about a hundred or so should be sufficient.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »

That looks delicious. I have been enjoying some crab meat on my eggs the past 2 weeks, but that there takes it up a couple of notches.

Here's a good thought for you, at the Wye Party next year, we all could use a good breakfast before we get out crabbing in the morning. Maybe at next year's Wye party you can come down and make these for us. What ya think?  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Sounds better Sunday morning to cure the headaches from too much drinking and before getting back on the road for home.  Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

KC_Jones
Supporting Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »

You catch and pick all the crab meat and I am game.  Will also need a commercial kitchen, and some staff, some new pots and pans, but it will be worth your investment.  We can usually get free eggs in bulk so I can take care of that part, I know that will be a great relief for you.   laugh laugh laugh
KC_Jones
Supporting Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »

Sounds better Sunday morning to cure the headaches from too much drinking and before getting back on the road for home.  Wink

What is this too much drinking you speak of?  I am not familiar with this particular concept, though I think my wife would disagree with me.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »

What is this too much drinking you speak of?  I am not familiar with this particular concept, though I think my wife would disagree with me.

The older I get, the less it takes to feel like tooooooo much.   Wink Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »

The older I get, the less it takes to feel like tooooooo much.   Wink Grin

Unfortunately Oh so true!

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: