February 19, 2018, 06:40:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Clean before cooking vs. Steaming them live  (Read 46419 times)
sodimm

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »

I'm going to say I do both.  Crabs I get from Raritan Bay and estuaries I clean just because it's close to Newark Bay where eating anything from there is banned due to the pollution from Agent Orange production.  Anything south of that I don't clean.
NJ Fisher

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

My wife's father was a Maryland crabber.  Therefore she is a purist and we steam live with old bay. Now most if not all of the crabs I have eaten have come from Maryland as well. Now being Italian I have seen crabs being cleaned before being put into sauce.  That makes no sense either as I do think the innards add flavor to said sauce. Now this might be for a different thread but since I'm about to take up crabbing in a big way living so close to some good crabbing grounds I am curious to at least try taking out the stuff I don't personally like and then steaming. So that being said, what is the correct method for doing such a thing. Thank You
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:03:10 PM by NJ Fisher » Logged
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »

I tried to prepare them live but they kept biting me. The bread got soggy too...  Undecided
Jack you are a sick puppy bbbut I still like your posts laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

BGFISHHOOK1 I  B  GON !

Get it on !
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »

Clean first. No one can honestly say, with a straight face, that  it tastes better the other way. The truth is that the majority of people don't want to spend the extra time it takes to clean them before cooking. I don't eat guts in fish, cow, deer, chickens, pigs, or any other creature for that matter. So why the [Sam Hill] would I want to eat crab guts?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:03:18 PM by Wallco99 » Logged
jtrex75

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

cleaned

All men die ,few ever really live .

KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »

Clean first. No one can honestly say, with a straight face, that  it tastes better the other way. The truth is that the majority of people don't want to spend the extra time it takes to clean them before cooking. I don't eat guts in fish, cow, deer, chickens, pigs, or any other creature for that matter. So why the [Sam Hill] would I want to eat crab guts?
No one eats the guts. You're exaggerating.
It's all about that tasty pasty yellow mustard.  Tongue

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

Come on now i have eaten liver hearts kidneys and even intestines are used for sausage,right. always steam crabs whole,unless your not from Maryland.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »

Wallco 99, good point about the guts. Guess us Marylanders are use to eating crabs the way our parents and grandparents did. I am going to try it this year. Just grew up with the notion the crabs had to be alive before you steamed them. I guess it's close enough to being alive after you clean them. But cleaning them is a process that I think may be wasting time.  The crab meat tastes great steaming the MD way, LOL. Once I try it your way, I may change my mind.

Some folks use a ice pick to stab crabs so the claws don't fall off. I think that's a waste of time too. I'll eat the claws whether they are attached or not. Guess the presentation of seeing the claws still attached is better though for restaurants and crab houses.
Luna Sea 3

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2017, 07:19:29 PM »

this is a very strange statement.  "people don't want to take the extra time to clean before cooking"  Its either you clean them b4 or after, it still has to be done.  Much better taste if cooked alive.  Cooking it in the shell keeps all the flavor inside until its time to eat.  Cleaning them first just washes out all the flavor..

Luna Sea 5
VHF 68/72
[email protected]
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

Cleaning them first just washes out all the flavor..

..........and those yummy guts and toxins!   Cool

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home