July 18, 2019, 07:02:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye 6/24  (Read 6195 times)
mr.krabs

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »

Took a fishin buddy-crabbing-rookie to the wye to run an 1100 ft snooded chicken neck line along with 10 of Cap Mooses finest stackables (fathers day gift to myself). Was there at dawn didn't go far from the landing and worked hard for a solid half bushel after 6hrs and 4 lines moves (pia!!). All crab were good sized and full. Saw the "hooked up" and bought a bushel from Chuck for a party. Of course The Captain and his outing caught 4+ bushels.

Took 'em home & steam them up only to find my pot bottom had burned out leaving me with 60 baked crabs with a slightly smoky flavor instead of nice tender JO steamers. Steamed the rest in smaller pots and they tasted great.

Question; how many of you guys break your 1200 ft lines into sections to cover different spots? After moving 4 times and knocking the basket with the faked line over to create a spaghetti tangle that took 20 minutes to unravel, I was wishing it was shorter and  had another line work instead.

Thanks

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »

Man that really sucks when that happens. Man i hate that baked crab smell!! That happened to me last summer with a bushel of wye river crabs "i almost cried" i always clean the boat and gear after the steam is done. Can't help with that trot line question "i use traps". Thanks for the report.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:20:03 AM by crabbywaters » Logged

I wish i was a crab.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »

good catch . thanks for the report.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Diamondback Terrapin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »

Took 'em home & steam them up only to find my pot bottom had burned out leaving me with 60 baked crabs with a slightly smoky flavor instead of nice tender JO steamers. Steamed the rest in smaller pots and they tasted great.

I did that last year.... Mine were inedible. I was mad because I had a muddy 8.5 incher in it.
ECcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »

I run 2 600 foot lines.  They are much easier to move and find spots to lay them.  Next time put some Apple wood in the bottom of your pot that way they will have a nice apple flavor laugh laugh laugh laugh

chickenneck1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:32:13 AM »

Got on the water @ 9:00am and was crabbing out past the Narrows bridge. Slow day only catching 3/4 of a bushel using 20 traps. All the crabs were nice size 5 1/2 to 7 " , but not the big slammers. Maybe one more shed. Crabbed until 2:00 pm .

Great day on the Y and of course the tonics were ice cold .

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »

Question; how many of you guys break your 1200 ft lines into sections to cover different spots?  Thanks

I also break mine into two 600' lines.  At least if there's a tangle, there's another line to run in between untangling.  More gear on the boat, but once the lines are laid, who cares?

Smoked crab actually sounds good!  Cheesy

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »

best thing ever happen to me was when i had to cut my 1200' line because of a snag.....then i found out the many advantages of using short lines......biggest is not having to look all morning for a spot that you can run 1200' without gettin someone mad ..i used [3] 400' lines,and was able to get up in tight spots where nobody w/ longer lines could set.....
Virginiacreeper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »

best thing ever happen to me was when i had to cut my 1200' line because of a snag.....then i found out the many advantages of using short lines......biggest is not having to look all morning for a spot that you can run 1200' without gettin someone mad ..i used [3] 400' lines,and was able to get up in tight spots where nobody w/ longer lines could set.....

Wow that's 6 buoys and 6 anchor lines. You must have plenty of room on your boat?
saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »

no, just a 15' skipton skiff ,pictured to the left ....small lines means small anchors and floats..every thing is downsized except the dip net.. smug

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »

Very nice.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
ECcrabber
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

no, just a 15' skipton skiff ,pictured to the left ....small lines means small anchors and floats..every thing is downsized except the dip net.. smug

I thought there was a minimum float size to be legal Huh

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »

There is Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:43 PM »

used gal. bleach bottles. nobody ever said anything....used 2 of those large walmart beach balls for floats when we glued the 1200' line together...
SALTDOG52

That's money in the basket.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »

Unless your comm crabber breaking your line down to make more than one line will get you in trouble if you are caught by DNR. I am a comm crabber so I run 1600 ft to 2000 ft of trot lines but when I am having a fun day with the kids I put a 700ft line out with clams and it does the job for the kids having fun and good quality crabs with razor clams. Sounds like you did good out there bad news about the baked crabs that will any one who loves them very upset. I have a crab pot that my grandfather had made back in the late 60's very thick stainless steel does not burn and you can pick it up with out burning your hands because of the thickness never seen a crab pot like it or does the job as good as this does. Steams a whole bushel with no problem. I love to find a metal worker who could make some crab pots like this one it would be worth every dime. Take care of your self and enjoy the season be safe.

saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »

gee ! i was a real outlaw.....buoys too small,  fishing 2-3 different lines, even went ,by mistake on a wend. twice in 11 seasons...not to mention how many pots i had off the dock cool4 BUT i always had a license and never caught more than i could use [not sell or barter with]........what's the statute of limitations in MD. Huh Huh Huh

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »

That's kinda funny. Hay at least your not running crabs to land or to another boat, i really think that's low life. Those guys are hurting the watermen that are trying to feed their familys as well as the fishery. Get those rules down and enjoy your season.

I wish i was a crab.
eggsniffer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

Unless your comm crabber breaking your line down to make more than one line will get you in trouble if you are caught by DNR. I am a comm crabber so I run 1600 ft to 2000 ft of trot lines but when I am having a fun day with the kids I put a 700ft line out with clams and it does the job for the kids having fun and good quality crabs with razor clams. Sounds like you did good out there bad news about the baked crabs that will any one who loves them very upset. I have a crab pot that my grandfather had made back in the late 60's very thick stainless steel does not burn and you can pick it up with out burning your hands because of the thickness never seen a crab pot like it or does the job as good as this does. Steams a whole bushel with no problem. I love to find a metal worker who could make some crab pots like this one it would be worth every dime. Take care of your self and enjoy the season be safe.

You can run as many lines as you want, as long as you don't run over 1200' (total) as a recreational crabber.  I know dozens of guys who run 2 600'ers
Chaser

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »

I also run 2 600 ft lines.  I can fit each one on a small handheld hose reel I got at Lowes and I can get both reels in a Rubbermaid-like container that is a little bit heavier duty and bungee it shut for easy carry.  It's easier to move the lines by reeling rather than hand over hand faking. You can keep them baited by salting them down or putting the reels in a freezer.  I've found the easiest way to reel in is to have one "reeler" at the front of the boat and slowly driving towards the other buoy while the line is reeled in.  If you have a third hand on board the can attempt to dip crabs as it's pulled in.
SALTDOG52

That's money in the basket.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »

Well don't say I did not warn you I say two people last year running two trot lines on one boat and they both got fines. Your only allowed one line not exceed 1200 feet baited part.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home