July 18, 2019, 07:00:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wye 6/24  (Read 6194 times)
SALTDOG52

That's money in the basket.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »

Read these regs it says line not lines so you have two 600 ft trot lines your only allowed one trot line up to 1200 feet if you don't believe me ask any DNR officer or capt. chuck at the Wye. You are asking for trouble down on the Wye because as soon as the crabs are slamming DNR will be on the look out for people who don't know the law.

INDIVIDUAL CRABBING

* A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
          o Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
          o 11 to 30 traps or rings
          o Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
          o More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
          o More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
    * A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
          o 10 or fewer traps and rings
          o dipnets
          o handlines
          o No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
          o No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
    * OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY
          o Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
          o 2 crab pots from a private property or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
          o Two cull rings required in upper chamber
                + One measuring at least 2 3/16"
                + One measuring at least 2 5/16"
          o Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1 3/4" x 4 3/4"
    * CRABBING FROM A BOAT
          o A recreational crabbing boat may be licensed; however the boat license covers only ONE individual on board the vessel.
          o The owner of the licensed recreational crabbing boat is also issued a complementary statewide Individual Recreational Crabbing License
    * CRABBING GEAR
    * If the boat is licensed for recreational crabbing with the Recreational Crabbing Boat License or at least one person in the boat possesses an individual recreational crabbing license:
          o 1200 feet of trotline (baited portion)
          o Maximum 30 crab traps or rings
          o Handlines
          o Dipnets
IntotheMystic

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »

become a member of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation - Ocean Conservancy - etc -.... give a few $, or a few hours  (pick up some trash, plant eel grass, oyster beds, etc etc)  you will never have an issue with DNR if you have a life jacket, registration, and depending on your vessel - 'everything in working order'.   Been on the Y for 14 years and like every body of water on the bay - the 'bad guys' are always gonig to find the bone heads.  Fish/Crab/Cruise safe and God Bless  -   
eggsniffer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »

I read regs for a living, and I'm very familiar with 08.02.03.03

The 2 trotline language applies only to the ocean and costal bays, the 1200' rule applies to line or lines and does not specify the amount.  If you're going to post regs blindly, at least differentiate between section C and Section D, C sets forth coastal laws and D applies to the bay.  

Note the bolded sections.

C. In the coastal bays of the Atlantic Ocean and their tidal tributaries:

(1) An individual may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or

(2) If two or more individuals are on a boat, not more than two trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet each may be used or possessed on board a vessel to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes.

D. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:
 *** (section (1) doesn't apply)

(2) An individual licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 1,200 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; and

(3) The trotline gear used from the boat may not exceed 1,200 feet in length for the baited portion:

(a) Regardless of the number of individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat;

(b) If the boat is licensed as a recreational crabbing boat; or

(c) If the boat is licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat.

And that's from the horse's mouth chief: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.03.htm

If the code doesn't set forth within it's subsection a specific restriction on the amount of trotlines (as it does in the costal regs) there are none.  not to mention the fact that the code itself even goes so far to say "trotline or TROTLINES"

Have a great summer crabbing! 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:04:35 PM by eggsniffer » Logged
Captain Ike

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »

We got checked this Saturday on a western shore river while running two 600' lines and had no problem.
lefty87

Doc says I've caught the CRAB FEVER

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »

good stuff. will be there 3rd to pull crabs for fourth of july weekened party that night!

soggybottomboyz

Obama STILL SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

eggsniffer,

Question at you, In the past I have been running 500 ft and a 700ft with 2 licensed crabbers on board in a tributary.  Am I illegal?  By reading you post I think I may be??  What you say?

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

My most honest advice on subjects like these are to contact the governing bodies. Do it in email, then print the dated answer with all information and the original question. Carry this with you and show it to the questioning authorities.

Interpretation and intent is left to the hand of the interpreter.

Take this thread for example, there is claim by witness it is not legal, there is claim by witness they were checked and it is legal.

John Doe said it is ok is not going to hold up in the field or court, and letter or email from the governing body stands a better chance. Even if you are correct and the field officer is wrong, once a citation is issued you are left with 2 options, pay it or fight it.

Why let get that far as both will cost you - and if it does, you have a letter for the court room fight.

JMHO

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
eggsniffer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »

eggsniffer,

Question at you, In the past I have been running 500 ft and a 700ft with 2 licensed crabbers on board in a tributary.  Am I illegal?  By reading you post I think I may be??  What you say?

What makes you think that?  are you reading the coastal portion of the regs?  you can't run any more than 1200' in the chesapeake bay and tribs, amount of line/lines is not specified. pay no attention to the subsection for costal bays, unless, of course, that is where you are crabbing!

run your lines and enjoy! 
eggsniffer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »

My most honest advice on subjects like these are to contact the governing bodies. Do it in email, then print the dated answer with all information and the original question. Carry this with you and show it to the questioning authorities.

Interpretation and intent is left to the hand of the interpreter.

Take this thread for example, there is claim by witness it is not legal, there is claim by witness they were checked and it is legal.

John Doe said it is ok is not going to hold up in the field or court, and letter or email from the governing body stands a better chance. Even if you are correct and the field officer is wrong, once a citation is issued you are left with 2 options, pay it or fight it.

Why let get that far as both will cost you - and if it does, you have a letter for the court room fight.

JMHO

Well said.  Nothing wrong with making a call to annapolis.  Done it myself in times past on other regs.  The people that write them are human, and sometimes they aren't worded clearly (Geez, ya think?!) which is why they have the clarification about the 2 bushel max per 2 or more licensed people in a boat stuff right on the DNR page. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home