October 19, 2019, 02:17:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbers Risk Jail time  (Read 2978 times)
badbean

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:57:38 PM »

I heard on the radio on my way into work this morning and then again on the evening news about these 3 guys crabbing togehter in Colgate Creek who were issued tickets / arrested for crabbing there. Seems they were beyond the Broening Highway bridge and that area is a secure no tresspassing area because of the Dundalk Marine terminal vicinity. They face a $500 fine and or up to 90 days in jail each. Seems real sad that terrorism has trickled right down to poor old guys trying to catch a few crabs... They caiught a couple dozen which they were allowed to keep according to the news report, but the report said they were too sick due to the incident to eat them.  Undecided

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin (attributed)

Lord please help me become the person my dog thinks I am!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 05:36:29 AM »

GIVE them to me i'll eat them.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
War Horse

Timonium Maryland And I do Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 07:28:32 AM »

Yeah, I read about this on Tidal Fish and it is a shame they arrested them and will be fined.   They should have gotten a stern warning an let go.   Sad Sad

ALL IS ONE AND ONE IS ALL
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:54:27 AM »

Did they go past a barrier or markers of some kind? Or were they just unfortunate enough to go past an 'imaginary line'? Seems awfully harsh if they just accidentally wandered in...
War Horse

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 08:14:05 AM »

Here is the blurb taken off the Tidal Fish forum from the Baltimore Sun.

BALTIMORE (AP) - Maryland Transportation Authority police yesterday cited three Dundalk residents who were wading near the Broening Highway bridge over Colgate Creek looking for crabs.

The woman and two men were given criminal trespassing citations -- punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a 500 dollar fine -- by the agency which has stepped up security around the port in response to terrorism.

The trio say they got the idea after seeing other crabbers around the bridge, which connects the Seagirt and Dundalk marine terminals.

They caught about a dozen and a half crabs under the bridge when an officer came by and told them to simply leave. But as they left, they say Transportation authority Chief Gary McLhinney arrived and ordered the criminal citations

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:02:43 AM »

Seems like Chief McLhinny is an autocrat; a dangerous position in law enforcement. But We only hear half the story. Perhaps they had been warned before, is a problematic area, they refused to leave or were argumentative. Law enforcement is preferably looking for voluntary compliance with the law from citizenry. A verbal warning is usually sufficient! Is the area well posted?

Retired in paradise!
F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »

amazing how people are treated with these false sense of security areas.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:36:36 AM »

I would think for the citations to be enforceable, it would have had to be visibly displayed as a no tresspassing area.  If it was, and they were where they weren't supposed to be, I think it is good to see the laws followed!

We have gone through a ton of security measures at my work due to the anti terrorism stuff, we are told what size, color, and script all our signs and everything else must be!  If we don't enforce it, then we are liable for fines, or worse!
BenFolds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »

They caught about a dozen and a half crabs under the bridge when an officer came by and told them to simply leave. But as they left, they say Transportation authority Chief Gary McLhinney arrived and ordered the criminal citations

That's real lame.  They were already leaving, abiding by the officer.
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »

hen, trust me you would not eat those crabs, the water sits next to a chemical plant and the crabs glow green.  the place is pretty nasty Lips Sealed

I don't eat any crabs! Grin

But, I do work in a nasty chemical plant, so I am used to green glowing food!  Grin

mariner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 03:23:22 PM »

Gary McLhinney used to be the head of the F.O.P. lodge for Baltimore City. He likes the lime light. Not sure this will be what he needs however.
War Horse

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 04:52:02 PM »

Bogman, you are probably right in your assertion  that the other part of the story wasn't known.  However, they were wrong and if they had an attitude or ignored any posted signs they deserved what they received.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home