July 08, 2020, 07:31:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in the Lower Potomac  (Read 7102 times)
cja313

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

Does Anyone Crab in the Lower Potomac, Colonial Beach area or nearby?   IF so how's the crabbing? I want to try crabbing one of these weekends and that maybe the closest area to me (Fredericksburg area).  Thanks! Smiley
nickspa112203

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »

headin up to the beach today (saturday) with my son, i think we're gunna throw some lines in and see what we get, i've only taken him out once (he's 7) so more than anything it's just the experience, something i shared growing up with my dad, but i'll let ya know how we fair *crossing fingers*
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »

good luck have a fun day.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jarosh

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »

I usually do pretty good with my crab pots off of the westmoreland state park. But have been trying out new spots off of the main river.  I'm gonna bring the pull traps next weekend and see what I can find off of the Currium (sp) landing. When I was there on thurs it seems all the comms have thier pits stashed there.
nickspa112203

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:38:42 AM »

didn't have much luck today off the pier in colonial beach, the water was super rough, pulled 2 good sized keepers but they slipped off the line as they got closer to the surface due to rough waters.  than again it was more about the experience, we got my old man to come out with us so no crab means nothing.  i may head up later this week to westmoreland state park, or even out to reedville to try my luck.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »

good luck . hope u do better.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
cja313

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »

COOL.  jUST PUT A DEPOSIT ON A SMALL SKIFF WHICH i'LL BE GETTING NEXT WEEK.  COLONIAL BEACH AREA OR SOMEPLACE SOUTH OF THE 301 BRIDGE WOULD BE AN AREA I WANTED TO TRY RUNNING A TROTLINE.  THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, WHEN I DO FINALLY MAKE IT OUT ON THE WATER, SAY 2-3 WEEKS, I'LL BE SURE TO KEEP YOU POSTED!  AND YEA ITS REALLY HARD CRABBING IN ROUGH WATER...THE CRABS LET GO AND DONT LIKE THE CHOPPY SURFACE OF THE WATER.
cja313

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »

JAROSH......ive been reading the regulations and havent found the answer, maybe you can help me out.  Can I use 2 pots tied to a bouy (pots in the cube shaped, closed, self catching pots that dont need to be pulled up, but can be left to soak for a few hours while I run a trotline).  Or are they only permitted if you own property or are commercially crabbing?  Thanks!
jarosh

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »

JAROSH......ive been reading the regulations and havent found the answer, maybe you can help me out.  Can I use 2 pots tied to a bouy (pots in the cube shaped, closed, self catching pots that dont need to be pulled up, but can be left to soak for a few hours while I run a trotline).  Or are they only permitted if you own property or are commercially crabbing?  Thanks!

I'd check to see if they changed anything for this coming season but as of last year, what you mentioned above would be fine. If you get the crabbing permit you can use 5 pots. But if you only plan on using them for one day, I'd suggest just bringing a few pull traps instead.  Pots are a pain to lug around and take up a lot of room for the few crabs they will catch in the few hours you will be out on the water.  I'm going bac to all pull traps this year and will be staying in Va waters off the lower Potomac.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »

Has anyone ever crabbed in the fort Washington area? I work down in that area, looks crabby. Just wondering..

I wish i was a crab.

registereduser

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »

Has anyone ever crabbed in the fort Washington area? I work down in that area, looks crabby. Just wondering..
they might show up there late in the season, not really a crabby area, never seen a deadrise that far up. there have been some very large blue cats caught there recently.

he who talks much says little
Fishbonzs
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »

they might show up there late in the season, not really a crabby area, never seen a deadrise that far up. there have been some very large blue cats caught there recently.

You never seen my boat up there?...Can't miss her

Potomac River Crab Advisory Committee
registereduser

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »

You never seen my boat up there?...Can't miss her
haven't seen u or any crabbers Fishbonzs, i can see the river from where i live now. Im about 1/2 mile down river from Ft Washington. havent seen pots north of pohick. Only comm i've seen had a boat full of carp. If i see u , can i stop and buy some. I've been a potomac river rat for 32 years or so. Seen some boys from PA come down for the big cats, im tempted to take my tuna sticks out and give it a try since I gave up on rockfish.

he who talks much says little
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

Thanks.. I always look out there and wonder about that. Thanks for responding..

I wish i was a crab.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home