November 19, 2018, 02:08:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a topless crab trap  (Read 41707 times)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »

The only other place i know of is Tractor sply . You might have to make a trip . but i would call before you go .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »

There is a TS on Rt 140 in Westminster.  Not too far from Balmer.

23' C Hawk
thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »

32 miles. hoping i can find a store closer, but i'll drive out there if i strike out.

-Justin

Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »

Call  them first

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »

Try Taylor Hardware Store

914 Main Street, Belmar, NJ‎ - (732) 681-0511

I get mine from a True Value in Woodstown called Woodstown Coal and Ice problaby 2 hrs from you.

Here's a tip for you, not all #9 wire is the same.  I picked up a roll from a True Value near my house and it was thin metal with a blue plastic coating on it.  The stuff was way too flexible and would have fallen apart the first time I pulled up a trap with a crab in it.  Just make sure there's no plastic coating on it before you buy it or order it online.   

Crab on!

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »

If you guys are talking about wire for the frame of a trap, any crab pot supply house will have it.  Potters call it "bracing wire".

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »

Try Taylor Hardware Store

914 Main Street, Belmar, NJ‎ - (732) 681-0511

I get mine from a True Value in Woodstown called Woodstown Coal and Ice problaby 2 hrs from you.

Here's a tip for you, not all #9 wire is the same.  I picked up a roll from a True Value near my house and it was thin metal with a blue plastic coating on it.  The stuff was way too flexible and would have fallen apart the first time I pulled up a trap with a crab in it.  Just make sure there's no plastic coating on it before you buy it or order it online.   

I think that blue coated wire is for clothes lines (anybody use them anymore)? I use it to make the "turtle excluders" for my pier pots.

Try Millers Island Supply (Essex) for the bracing wire. Closer than Westminster.
crabtracker

Mook Want Crab!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »

calling tractor supply may not help,i went to TS and the person i asked said they didn't carry 9 gauge wire, it was only after we walked to the outdoor storage area and i pointed to the rolls of wire he was standing right in front of that he said "wow i didn't know we had that". so you still may have to look for yourself,the wire and fencing is kept outside. Wink

only a fool fights in a burning house
a Man will walk into [Sam Hill] with his eyes wide open,
 but even the Devil can't fool a Dog.
BlueCrabber

Shut up and crab.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

i cant for the life of me find 9 gauge wire.  checked home depot, lowes, true value, and some mom and pop places, no luck.  anyone have a better idea within a reasonable drive of baltimore? there aren't any tractor supplies nearby either.

I was shocked that the Lowes by me has lots of it. 8.00 per 50ft of it.  Try some other Lowes around you.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »

I was shocked that the Lowes by me has lots of it. 8.00 per 50ft of it.  Try some other Lowes around you.

Lowes calls it "9 ga. tensioning wire".........seasonal item. If not in your local Lowes, ask them to do a
   computer check of their other stores.. Cheesy

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

Check here

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-19320/Detail

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »

That's the stuff! Grin

Crab on!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »

Is that stuff easy to bend?  Is it soft?

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »

went to a different lowes today and found it, they sell tensioning wire by the 170 foot roll for like 17 dollars outside by the fencing, and have 9 gauge wire in 50 foot rolls boxed up inside for ~8 bucks.  i got the outside cariety. a little more unwieldy to work with but the price was better.  unfortunately all the lowes and home depots and ace hardwares i checked today (2 of each) only had wire mesh in 1/2 x1/2 and 2x3.  so still searching for the right 2x1 or 1x1 mesh. I have some leftover 1/2 x 1 that i'm gonig to make the bottoms out of so i can get started and just pop sides on when i find the right stuff.  bought enough of the other materials to make 30 so i'll be busy for a while making frames.  (didn't find hyd tubing, but i'm just going to fold and crimp them, this'll give me the ability to cut out the joint and replace it with hyd tubing in the future if i find any.  Also considering welding but that'll destroy the galvanizing.

Is that stuff easy to bend?  Is it soft?

it's not "easy" but it can be bent by hand.  it'll hold it's shape just fine though, i wish there was a better way to describe it, but i can't think of one. it'll work great for making traps out of.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:39:43 PM by thedutchtouch » Logged

-Justin

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »

I went to TSC this morning and picked up a roll of 1"x2"mesh 36"x25' - $36.99..... thumbsup
a piece of flat steel 1/8"x1"x36" for the jigs top and bottom bends $3.79... thumbsup
They only had 1 3/8"x16 3/8"x .054" bait spring $1.79...have to check back for more later.

TSC didn't have, or at least I didn't see any, of the 9ga wire for the frame so off to Home Depot....they had a 170' roll for $17.88 thumbsup

The hydraulic line everyone mentions that they use...is that like brake line tubing or something?
I didn't see anything of the sort at either place. I have a welder so I could weld the joints, but I'm sure that will make rusting a bigger issue.

EDIT: Looks like this 36"x25' roll was enough to make 16 traps....plus a handfull of blisters builder Need another roll now...along with some gloves Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:36:06 AM by h8tnlife » Logged

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »

that is what it is ,break line.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
h8tnlife

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »

crabtackular...thats plenty easy enough to find  Wink
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:28:41 PM by h8tnlife » Logged
anchor
Lifetime Member

stop being a lurker and make a donation

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 02:41:36 AM »

the wire used in the video is 9 ga. aluminum wire. i have been building these traps for yrs. old crabber showed  me how to build them at his house. true value is the ONLY place that carries that particular wire used for the frames.
thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »

i've not got all the materials i need to build 30 of these, only have 4 done so far:
costs:
itemquantitypricetotaltotal with tax
1"x1" welded wire fencing- 30"x15' rolls412.9751.8854.99
9ga tension wire 170' 217.8835.7637.91
1/4 inch brake line- 72" piece 16.996.997.41
4" zip ties(bag of 100)33.6310.8911.54
1/2x1" welded wire fencing1freefreefree

total cost with tax:111.85
total cost per trap (unrigged):3.73

since i had some difficulty locating some parts:
I bought the brake line at advance auto (2018 maryland ave), everything else at lowes (5900 Baltimore National Pike). 

I could have skipped the zip ties and used scraps of wire but they're so much easier i figured the extra 33 cents per trap was fine. the 1/2 x 1" is left over from a previous project (built a cage for my wife's chinchilla) so that's free since it was bought for a different project and i'd jsut saved the leftovers, i'm using it for the trap bottoms.  If you didn't have this, you'd need one more roll of fencing, bringing the total to 125.60 or 4.18 per trap.  I also have leftover rope and mason line to rig them, and have not yet figured out what i will use as floats, although currently i'm thinking of collecting 30 plastic bottles and filling them with expandable foam (which i have left over from some pre-winter crack filling in my rental house's basement)

-Justin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

I'm right in that same ball park as yourself....Haven't completed 1 single trap yet though...kinda like an assembly line...cut all the fencing,.....cut all the tension wire to length,.....straighten it all out...make all the bends with the jigs....and so on.Only 9 more tops to bend up and I'll start assembling everything. But I'm pretty much right there with ya with the cost though...
For floats, I'm just reusing my "pool noodles" from last years traps. They work rather well. I'm sure there are better out there but these are a cheap way to go.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home