December 02, 2020, 02:50:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a topless crab trap  (Read 48940 times)
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2019, 08:01:30 AM »

14-gauge if you want them to last more than a season.  YardGard or similar.  The stuff I use is unbranded, I think.  I get it from Jos. Fazzio & Sons up here in NJ.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »

I'm a newbie so this might be a dumb question:
Why 10x10 on the footprint?

It looks like MD regs allow for traps up to 20x15:
(2) "Collapsible crab trap" means a manually operated, portable device:
(a) Having a flat bottom not more than 20 inches by 15 inches, and not more than four articulated sides; and
          (Etc...)

Is it a matter of larger traps simply not really catching any more, or bigger crabs? Is it that smaller traps take up less space, or cost less money in materials to make? Is it that 10x10 maximises the use of the welded wire rolls?  Is it that 20x15 would weigh too much to pull up all day?

Or is it a combination of all of those factors and/or more that I'm not seeing that just results in 10x10 being the "ideal" size?

Thanks,
Buggsy

on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »

I'm a newbie so this might be a dumb question:
Why 10x10 on the footprint?

It looks like MD regs allow for traps up to 20x15:
(2) "Collapsible crab trap" means a manually operated, portable device:
(a) Having a flat bottom not more than 20 inches by 15 inches, and not more than four articulated sides; and
          (Etc...)

Is it a matter of larger traps simply not really catching any more, or bigger crabs? Is it that smaller traps take up less space, or cost less money in materials to make? Is it that 10x10 maximises the use of the welded wire rolls?  Is it that 20x15 would weigh too much to pull up all day?

Or is it a combination of all of those factors and/or more that I'm not seeing that just results in 10x10 being the "ideal" size?

Thanks,
Buggsy

I believe, but could be wrong, that the footprint when these traps were started/discussed WAS 10X10, but???....I know the total was once 144sq inches(I think?) and it has gotten bigger...

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »

I believe, but could be wrong, that the footprint when these traps were started/discussed WAS 10X10, but???....I know the total was once 144sq inches(I think?) and it has gotten bigger...

Thanks... Hmm, 10x10 would be 100 square inches, 144" square inches would imply a 12x12 based trap.

Something tells be that after a certain point of making them larger it hits a point of diminishing returns. Heavy, cumbersome to carry/maneuver and store at home or in a boat, to pull and check on the water, and unlikely to catch any more crabs per trap anyway??

If anyone could weigh in on whether 12x12 is the "sweet spot" for topless trap size, or what that sweet spot I'd, I'd be grateful! I'm thinking I might try to make some this winter, my local tractor supply has the stuff. I might check another farm supply store down here to compare prices but tsc wasn't too bad for cost on materials.

Now that I think of it I'm working out of a canoe though so I should probably be thinking in terms of how small can I make them and still catch rather than trying to go bigger...

Buggsy

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home