April 06, 2020, 07:34:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Blue Crabs better in Northern States Or Southern States?  (Read 16662 times)
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »

I've never eaten anything but Maryland crabs since I always catch my own.  Only time I've ever bought them was at Phillips Seafood in Ocean City MD during the summer so I assume they were caught locally??  Huh  Some rivers in the state do produce better crabs IMHO.  Why don't you send a couple of those Florida mumbos my way on dry ice and I'll do a taste test.  Wink
    I have had Blue Crabs from DE,MD,Texas,louisianna,Florida     personally my favorites come from two rivers in MD.As far as Phillips goes they use the swimmer crab from the Phililines I believe.I have had it and it wasn't bad to me in a crab cake.If you ate crabs there they probably were local,but they have their own plant over there because the proffit wasn't what they wanted it to be.All of the crabs I have eaten were good except for the all you can eat at a place in Rock Hall I wont mention.They were pure junk.It was the first and last time I ever ordered all you can eat crabs.PM me I will tell you my 2 favorite rivers for taste and quality.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

You all need to try wye river crabs. You may change your mind about what a good crab taste likes. Not bashing anyone just saying.

I wish i was a crab.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »

In a little over 1 month I'll take ya up on that offer.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
crazy crabber

Get the Net!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »

You all need to try wye river crabs. You may change your mind about what a good crab taste likes. Not bashing anyone just saying.

Wye crabs take the cake over jersey blues.. Also had crabs from the wicomico, wye crabs tasted different..
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »

HADEM LAST WEEK, MINE ARE BETTER,
JUST SAYIN
I LIKE THEM ALL, SO LONG AS THEY ARE COOKED RIGHT, CLEANED FIRST PREFFERED,SECOND IF NEEDED, STEAMED WITH JO#1

John WAsmuth

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »

Whats JO#1?
coggi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »

Whats JO#1?

Seasoning.
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »

i ate wye river crabs,all caught within 1mile from where i lived, once or twice a month,for ten seasons.......crabs do not always taste the same,even though they are caught in the same local.. 
Crabs_R_Yummy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

i think that they all taste the same but i've been hearing that bigger crabs come from more southern waters

The Blue Claw Reaper
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »

NORTH CAROLINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »

I just had some crabs from Florida and, to me, they lacked flavor. They were good but.......
Ct crabs are good and I've had Wye crabs that I thought were better. I think the cooler water sets the flavor. I'm sure water quality has something to do with flavor too!
I used to Lobster in CT and our Lobsters were good but I thought Canadian Lobster tasted better than the ones I was catching. Again, cooler water?

I also agree JO#1!

Retired in paradise!
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »

cooler=more fat but salinity and diet also contribute.  Many in md are off clam beds and in brackish.
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Get out of my wheelhouse!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its wye or nothing!  Couldnt even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus Im one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dont have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps. 
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »

NORTH CAROLINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

But is that North Carolina or North Carolina/Maryland?

You know how much the flavor changes as the truck crosses state lines.  Grin
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in Maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its Wye or nothing!  Couldn't even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus I'm one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dint have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the Wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps.  

Just my opinion, but I find it extremely hard to believe that commercial guys are watching you and your pull up traps. laugh laugh laugh  As for being one of the better crabbers on the Wye that is a extremely bold statement.  Posting on this forum you are in the company of some of the best blue claw crabbers in the world, myself excluded...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:56:10 AM by fishingtom » Logged

fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its wye or nothing!  Couldnt even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus Im one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dont have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps. 

Just found this post you wrote, Now I am confused...bsssr?

Re: wye river crabbing
Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:24 PM
I will get that book and read it!!  Thanks!  In the mean time I am counting the days down too my first trip on the wye river. 182 days!  will be using 30 traps.  Half the traps with razor back clams the others chicken neck. 7 to 12 foot of water.  If I cant waite thats long then I will go to Tred Avon river in Cambridge in the end of April. Hope to see a few of you guys down there next season!
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:15 AM »

I will get that book and read it!!  Thanks!  In the mean time I am counting the days down too my first trip on the wye river. 182 days!  will be using 30 traps.  Half the traps with razor back clams the others chicken neck. 7 to 12 foot of water.  If I cant waite thats long then I will go to Tred Avon river in Cambridge in the end of April. Hope to see a few of you guys down there next season!

Looks like the infamous investigative Winter talents of the BCA members are still among the best anywhere. Good job and Crabman1969, "You've been BUSTED !!

Let the lesson be learned, don't try to pull any tomfoolery or Shenanigans around here................you will be caught  laugh laugh laugh

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »

I think he meant first trip of the season .   Boog Powell  LMAO laugh laugh laugh  

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »

Book'em Defrano!

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

I think he meant first trip of the season .   

Agreed.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home