July 11, 2020, 03:34:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: us vs them  (Read 14519 times)
ken

life is short play hard crab harder!!!!!!

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:57:23 PM »

wht is it that not all but alot of commercial crabbers are so nasty to us res....?? Angry we went last week and all we did is put our traps in early BUT NOT BATED so we could save a spot do to thiers alot of people going now and we made sure we were 150 ft away from one comercial lady and she got nasty as allhell...trying to say she was calling marine police do to were to close and stuff...i called her bluff and nothing ever came of it but we were atleast 150 ft and we werent crabbing untill after sunrise so whats the beef.? thiers enought river for all of us  no one needs to be nasty if its commercial yes you need to be 100. ft from a trot line and 50 from potts i let people come 20 ft from me i dont care unless thier rude and even if i did thiers nothing i can do about it anyway.....this is just a reminder lets all get along and have fun thats what it is all about not who can bring in  the most or be the nastiest   seeya on the river...
rm65

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 02:03:15 PM »

That was well stated Ken. Its a shame when all the fun has to be taken out of a family outing by some greedy/cranky commercial crabber!   Undecided  I wish they would at least keep their 10 mile long trotlines out in the center channel and leave the edges to us small time crabbers.

rm65
ken

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 02:19:08 PM »

well even if they came on the side thats cool like i was saying thiers enough river for all of us  the woman knows who she is and i hope it makes a difference next time with the next person she'e around she did say she was sorry later in the day and i think the only reason was i did call her bluff but thats besides the point next time i see her i will say hello and hope we could make a freindship from the misshap  im very easy to get along with its all good to all and now thats out in the open i hope it makes a difference for some people  Grin thanks for taking the time to read   by th way hello joe.. Grin when you going with us?
weezys worry

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 02:34:10 PM »

Don't let someone with a bad attitude spoil your day. Some are just not happy with life. Be glad someone didn't do to you what they did to us. A friend was crabbing out of goodhand creek launch and had his trailer tires sliced.I was down yesterday and all the lugs were loosened on the trailer. I didn't know this to I got back home a hundred miles away.Dodge a bullet on that one. No only  endangered my life but innocent people on the road as well.Can only say if I catch them I will be going to jail but they may need a good  funeral home.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 07:04:49 PM »

You guys should be a little more considerate of the commercial folks who are trying to make a living.  You're out there for fun.  They're trying to feed their families.  Have a little respect.

And I question the legality of "reserving your spots" with unbaited gear.  IF the river is big enough for everyone, how about finding another spot?

Git 'r dun!

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:14:07 PM »

Just play nice.

Git 'r dun!
weezy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 07:33:10 PM »

Well I know exactly what you mean Ken, I encountered some of these "nasty" commercial men. Yeah they do it for living. Sorry but that is the life THEY chose, not us.  The rivers and bays are big enough for everyone! Learn to share.  I have read through the crabbing regulations and no where did I see it state that you could not set your traps out unbaited to hold your spot.  Some people crabbing may be doing it for fun, but some of also out trying to feed their families to. 
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 08:01:09 PM »

Un baited or baited, it's considered gear in the water.     

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 08:24:29 PM »

First thing i do when I get out to my spot is to STOP and look around to see where the other folks are running their trotline and traps. Then i put out my traps or trotline

Granted some trotline are so long you can't see both floats.

I've had guys put their trotline float next to my float which is crazy. Some see if your catching crabs and go next to you

C-Hawk18

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 08:43:17 PM »

Hey Weezy - maybe you should read these reg's - Specifically Section "B"

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/08/08.02.03.05.htm

ken

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »

dont get me wrong i understand about your feeding your family thats cool and i dont have a problem with that but i was 150 ft away from anyones trotline and i though since the reg say 100 ft i was being fair. i wasent intruding on anyones space who's to say just because your comercial you can take the whole cove.....comercial or not we have to share and like i was saying 150 ft away is plenty far enough why do people have to get all hot and bothered.? i dont want to fight with anyone  just get along and if i come acrost strong im sorry i just think we can make it work.... Grin
ken

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 09:29:13 PM »

seaweed if i get thier early and am in a spot and dont set something out sometimes and this has happend ive lost it because some one comes up and is not respectfull even though your sitting thier they dont care ...what wrong with saving a productive spot that you like   (you commercial guys do it) why can us rec  guys   and if someone is thier i move on  and if thiers room for one more thats cool too but just one person cant sit on one side of the river and expect everyone else to not crab a mile around them the commercial guy/gal isnt being fair on that aspect.....and yes i do respect the commercial people out thier i worked on a crabbing boat for a season at bonnies crabs and yes it is a hard life i have the upmost respect for anyone thats raising thier family no matter if thier a police officer or crabber   
weezy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 09:46:05 PM »

Read them cHawk and I clearly see where is states you may not set crabbing gear until such and such. THe problem here is not about setting the gear, it is about certain people not wanting us recreational guys to close or thinking we are to close them and interrupting what they think is all their territorty.  The rivers and bays are for everyone - no one owns them. Like I said there is enough that we can all share the water. One commercial guy takes up the whole side of the river and then wants NO ONE around them. How fair is that? What are we hurting?
C-Hawk18

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 09:56:53 PM »

Weezy - this is what I was commenting on:

"I have read through the crabbing regulations and no where did I see it state that you could not set your traps out unbaited to hold your spot."

I was not on the water to see how far away the gear was from the Commercial so I can't comment on that. If you were more than 100 ft then the Commercial should not have any gripe.
Some people are like that - Commercial or not
I have a commercial license and have several times invited Rec's to crab right next to me.
weezy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 10:04:26 PM »

Do not get me wrong, there are some "nice" commercial guys out there, but there are more "nasty" ones than "nice".  I know they do this for a living, that is fine and dandy, but there is no reason they have to act like they own the river.  We are all human, we all have jobs, let's all share and be nice.

I clearly admit I did not see those regs and then I reread them when you sent them to me.  I was wrong and I apologize.

ken

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 10:24:52 PM »

i will vouch for c-hawlk he is one commercial dude that is one of the nicest people out thier ive had the experience of going out with him twice now and had a great time and yes i was with him even when he didnt have a commercial liscence and thier is no difference in his manner as far as i know of so him i can vouch for and ive run into and have had no problem from anyother commercial crabber at the wye other then this older lady lets just say maybe she was having a bad day and will leave it at that and end it  i dont want to shake a bees nest   thanks to all
pip

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 10:39:09 PM »

I never like the argument that commercial guys are trying to feed their famillies and we are out just to have fun. As far as I'm concerned the only differance between me and a commercial crabber is that I can't sell my catch. Much the way a hunter bags a deer to feed his familly I count on the meat that I catch (fish and crabs to supplement my income). A commercial guy sells his catch to buy food and essentials for his familly. I use some of the money I would use to buy food and essentials for my familly and buy equipment, bait and gas to catch fish and crabs for my familly. Not much differance betwwen rec and commercial other than the numbers that can be legally harvested. I feel I deserve the same respect a commercial guy gets, maybe more since the odds of a large catch are that much smaller, and the fact that I am generally disregarded as a commercial crabber lays his traps right on top of mine and won't even look over at my boat as my small son and I watch in disbelief.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 11:17:44 PM »

No one in this discussion is getting the point... its not about www.blahblahblah.com, or a set of rules in a book, or 100 ft vs. 150 ft, its about unwritten rules and codes of COURTESY.  Yes, you can set your traps to the letter of the law, and yes, no one owns the river, etc,  but lets try to coexist here.. And to say the only difference between comm. and recs is the catch limit... I'll have to firmly disagree here.

I guess this issue will always have 2 sides, and never be resolved.

Git 'r dun!
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 11:35:37 PM »

I never like the argument that commercial guys are trying to feed their famillies and we are out just to have fun. As far as I'm concerned the only differance between me and a commercial crabber is that I can't sell my catch. Much the way a hunter bags a deer to feed his familly I count on the meat that I catch (fish and crabs to supplement my income). A commercial guy sells his catch to buy food and essentials for his familly. I use some of the money I would use to buy food and essentials for my familly and buy equipment, bait and gas to catch fish and crabs for my familly. Not much differance betwwen rec and commercial other than the numbers that can be legally harvested. I feel I deserve the same respect a commercial guy gets, maybe more since the odds of a large catch are that much smaller, and the fact that I am generally disregarded as a commercial crabber lays his traps right on top of mine and won't even look over at my boat as my small son and I watch in disbelief.

never heard of a comm using pull up traps   Huh

perhaps if you are concerned about the financial aspect of feeding your family, you should not own a boat, since we all know they are the biggest money pits around

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 11:42:12 PM »

No one in this discussion is getting the point... its not about www.blahblahblah.com, or a set of rules in a book, or 100 ft vs. 150 ft, its about unwritten rules and codes of COURTESY.  Yes, you can set your traps to the letter of the law, and yes, no one owns the river, etc,  but lets try to coexist here.. And to say the only difference between comm. and recs is the catch limit... I'll have to firmly disagree here.

I guess this issue will always have 2 sides, and never be resolved.

tis true/  imagine if everyone got their drivers license yesterday, none of us would know the courtesy of driving. we would all be driving around cutting eachother off... etc...   now some people do know it but refuse to obey the unwritten rules. many rec crabbers do not know the unwritten rules about crabbing, many commercial crabbers are understanding that you guys dont know the rules, and are tolerant. some people are just a-holes, but i must say it is a small minority of commercial crabbers

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home