July 04, 2022, 10:00:32 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8/2/2011 - Indianalatic, FL  (Read 3470 times)
DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

I went crabbing for the first time I set 3 pots 7/31/11 8am - 8/2/11 5pm. I used a thigh/leg combo of a chicken X2 for each pot. My first pot must have been messed with because it was cleaned out no chicken bones or anything. My other 2 pots I had one crab in each they looked like keepers barley but I tossed them back, 2 small crabs is not much of a dinner and one was a female. Does anyone have suggestions on areas to place traps in the Indian River? Should I look for drop offs or go shallow (4-7 ft)?  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:54:43 PM by DC_SeanTaylor21 » Logged
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »

2 questions.......do you have a boat Huh?  do you see any comm guy's bouys in the river Huh
DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:17:54 PM »

yes I fished off my boat. I placed my pots in the area where other pots where. I made sure not to over set on top of someone. There were at least 20 pots that looked like they belonged to the same guy, Im thinking I set my pots too close to his so he wiped one of mine.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:21:25 PM by DC_SeanTaylor21 » Logged
saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »

if there are 20 pots there ,there are crabs there......fill your bait holders w/ fish and set in the same depth as the comm pots, but give at least 200' clearance to him....
DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »

I have fished under the bridge for about a year and iv seen those buoys there but iv never seen anyone check them. Do you think I should check to see if there abandoned?

saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »

bouys by a bridge raises a question Huh?  are the bouys placed helter-skelter or in a strait line...if in a strait line , do they run east and west Huh?are there numbers on the bouys???
doggfish55

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »

I am a comm guy in that aera running 150 and catching some but nothing to jump up and down  about. Try moving a little south closer to the islands, I have been having luck on the sandbar just north of the powerlines on the west side of the river. I was talking to an FWC officer the other day and he said red tide has been coming in through the inlet, that may explain the slow season.
saltysenior

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »

I am a comm guy in that aera running 150 and catching some but nothing to jump up and down  about. Try moving a little south closer to the islands, I have been having luck on the sandbar just north of the powerlines on the west side of the river. I was talking to an FWC officer the other day and he said red tide has been coming in through the inlet, that may explain the slow season.

people do not realize how crabs can congregate in small areas...10yrs ago in the spring we came north bound thru the eau gallie causeway,turned right, and headed for the y.club....had to back up to the channel, head north for about a 1/2 mile before we could turn east and head for the island...half way to the island,we could turn a little at a time towards the dragon...there was no way any boat could get thru the amount of pots...the dockmaster had called the c.g. and the fwc to try to maintain a channel to the y.club...pots were moved, but more were dumped in their place.....on the south and the west side of the causeway, you could not see a bouy....... 
DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »

The pots to the north of the causeway going to Indianalatic are numbered, facing east to west and are in straight lines about 4 pots in each row. Are those your pots hahaha. Thanks dogfish I will head south past the power lines next time I go out. I have to wait for this storm Emily to get out of here first.
doggfish55

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »

there are only 2 of us going east-west, the ones closest to the bridge are not me i am out on the sandbars (he has the prime location), are you the one with TNR writen in red or the "new" dark blue ones out in the deep water?

DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »

I had 3 Bright Orange with a white stripe on mine. I only had them out there for 3-4 days. I took them out last week because of the tropical storm brewing in the south. I will set mine south of the power lines next time. I am going to scatter them to find the best area. Ill keep a look out for yours. Why do you say he has the prime location?
doggfish55

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »

If u go south of the powerlines do not drop too close to anyone on the west side he gets a little excited when someone gets close to him (well if you have #rd buoys.......lol). Mine stop on the sandbar just north of of the powerlines and that sandbar has had the best ratio of crabs per trap, so would think further south would be prime because i do not know of many traps south of the power lines on the east side; i ran about 130 traps today on a 5 day soak and ended up with 55lbs about a dozen big males the rest were #2's lots of females but the males are poping back up. I did drop 20 on the west side last run and they averaged about 3 crabs per trap (not bad considering how slow it has been in the area). I say that because every crabber thinks the next guy is doing better than himself.............lol, no i had some close to the causeway and it was hit and miss, so i moved them, it is fishing just need to find them.  Grin

O yea fish about 3-4 feet deep (any shallower and you may hit the trap with the motor) find a sandbar or a shallow spot close to shore..........GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:47:12 PM by doggfish55 » Logged
DC_SeanTaylor21

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

you went out today? I read it was 13-16 mph winds that's crazy rough. Yea if you say you only get 2-3 crabs a trap on 5 days soak, I will put mine out tomorrow around 5pm and pick'em up on Sunday morning. I guess I need to buy more pots to get a dozen (I only have 3). Can I buy 2 pots off you?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home