April 10, 2021, 08:10:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: License Info......  (Read 6438 times)
troytibbs

« on: July 20, 2005, 05:23:41 PM »

Was wondering if someone out there can tell me the process as to acquiring my own crabbing license.  I live in Bay County, Florida.  I heard that there are no more licenses to give out.  If that is the case, is there anyone willing to sell one?  Bay County is Panama City, FL.  Thanks.
beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »

this link might help...

http://www.blue-crab.org/forum/index.php/topic,4384.0.html

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
scottpg50

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 11:38:58 PM »

I have also been trying to figure out the regulations SPL, RS, V#, endorsements... Huh For a new guy wanting to start out they sure make it hard.   I tried the above link but it is now inactive.

I live in Stuart, FL by the St. Lucie and Indian Rivers.  I have caught a few crabs around here and am  trying to find out if there is a wholesale market for them locally and if it is still possible to get the licenses to commercial harvest.

Thanks
Emerald

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »

The most common way is to work under someone else's license for a  flat annual fee.  The old crabbers getting out of the business and crabbers that you are not on the same waters with are the best bet for striking a deal.  I am trying to do the same as you, and was told this is the way.  I am near St. Augustine, so maybe we can help each other out.  If one of us can find a crabber and both pay him a fee, it may be more appealing to him.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »

The best deal is if you work as a striker and or want to run a old mans boat to keep his/her lic active is. Work out a deal where it's 60/40 after exspenses ie; bait,gas/oil oil skins etc. If you have a lot of traps and crabs are plentiful the old guy just collects his check and you'll be a wee bit richer.(wee bit) Make sure you work out gear replacement ie; boat stuff and pots. You don't want to work for someone or use someones run down boat and gear. Or for that fact someone who does'nt replace stuff on a regular basis. thats IMHO and have been there done it.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:41:10 PM »

Heres the deal,been a moritorium on Blue crab licenses for yrs,it was supposed to be lifted last yr and the management plan didn't pass,it should this legislative session,when it passes then the licenses will be transferable,hopfully July 1st 2007 you will be able to but one outright if that is what you want to do. and yes we do want to make it hard to get in,the influx of so called commercial fishermen has cost us most of our fisheries over the yrs,including the major cause of the net-ban,all you had to do was pay $50 and you were commercial,this way you have to be a little more committed and maybe we wont be left with your gear left in the water after you find out that it is a lot of work for the $$s you earn

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 11:14:47 PM »

RD, Why would the DNR lift the ban on licenses? I believe the way it is, is fine. We have the same deal (ban on new licenses)You can get one, but you must prove you have done this before, for certain amount of years, You have to prove a hardship and why you must have a lic. It's about a 10 page inquisition of your life past and present. If you really want a license there's a few guys that either have "extra" because of downsizing of their gear use or buy selling out completly. Average lic with endorsement to sell goes for and average of $3,000.00. By not allowing newbies in the crab/fish fisheries has only limited people, but gear use has stayed the same to a slight increase. The increase has come from guys no longer fishing fly/drop nets inside or ocean side. To make up for differences in the income they now fish anywhere up to 1200 pots. NC DNR will eventually limit quanity of pots in certain areas etc. All I can say about the few previous posts about this is simple. Make DARN SURE (yes I'm yelling) that commercial fishing/crabbing is what YOU want to do. We must protect the fishery BUT also protect the commercial fishermen. Generations of past/present fishermen are at stake. Got enough info to  wrtie a book.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »

They wont be issuing new licenses,but they will be able to be transfered,the management plan caps bluecrab endorsments where it is now and limits pots to 600 inside the colregs line with a addictional 400 that may be fished outside,and those #s are subject to change

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home