February 23, 2018, 11:34:10 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traps in MA  (Read 3985 times)
ducker

Hunting Crab near the Sand Bar - West Dennis

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »

I'm looking to do some crabbing next week out on the cape.  Typically I only scap from the shore or walk in the middle of the creek checking the shorelines.  I'll also tie some chicken to a line to draw some in that way.

My son of 4 would love to come with me, but the creek is really not the place for him just yet, I'd imagine he could disappear in one of the mud bogs if he stepped the wrong way.

So I was thinking that I could get a star trap for him to use; but after reading the forums here, sounds like Capt. Moose's traps are superior in quality by far to anything I could find at a commercial store.

I'm not about to start catching hundreds of crabs; so I'd really rather not have to get a rec. license to use the traps that Capt. Moose has for sale, but I also don't want to blow my money on cheap star traps.

So the question is, Are Capt. Moose style traps valid in MA with out a rec license?  If we don't have to put tags on them, then I would guess that they are fine.
and/or is there a point of contact that I can reach out and inquire about these traps?

I've talked a bit about this with Rob via PM - but I figured that the answers/discussion would be better suited here for everyone else to read.

Thanks for any and all input guys!

-Mike
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/lobsters.htm#abstracts

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
ducker

Hunting Crab near the Sand Bar - West Dennis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »

Didn't see anything on there regarding traps. The PDF on the regs had a bit more, but still didn't spell it out completely.

Thanks
crabbyjim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »

capt. moose or capt. bruce topless traps are fine with no permit
willztoyz

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »

Question:  if I make an OPEN TOP trap from milk crates that has a trap door that closed when pulled up, do I have to have a permit?

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

better off getting a good trap

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »

I believe that trap doors on a trap make it so that you do not have to tend them constantly.  Thus they would require a license, tagging the trap and a float with distinctive color combination.  The Capt. Moose traps or topless traps are fine in MA without a license as the crab is not really trapped and if you have a crab feasting on your bait it takes a little practice to get him aboard.  Don't take the chance with a modified trap unless you are really rich and can afford the fine, up to a lifetime banning from fishing in MA and confiscation of your gear.  No crab is worth that !!!!

The abstracts/laws/CMR's are complicated, so ask before you do something that will get you in trouble. 
robc22

THE LOBSTER GURU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Mike I know you would be fine without a permit with any kind of star trap....I went to Capt. moose's web page. They look like star traps to me but it would not hurt to ask the state. I would send them a link to Capt. moose's site in your question...... [email protected]
Will I'm not having any luck visualizing the trap you are talking about....Are you cutting a hole in the side of the milk crate and installing a door?? perhaps you could help with a diagram.........
You know....If you can spare the money it never hurts to have the permit. I have made all kinds of traps at 1 time or another and I just stick a tag in it. I figure I'm just playing the CYA game. green crabs, blue crabs, conch, eel, chubs, shiners......I've trapped all sorts of stuff. Sometimes there's not even regs written to cover what I was doing but I always figured by having the permit It shows I'm always trying to do the right thing..........

Lobster Troll #1.........

"Beli . . . Beli . . . Belichnikov! … Belichick! Great man! Great leader!".......George Steinbrenner

"Eat wild fish/shellfish...... not something from china"...... Stillfishing

"Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf."......... Native American Proverb

“Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies”...... John Cleese

"Never met a bluefish I wouldn't sell"........Maddmatt
The508Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »

As long as the trap is topless and allows the crab free access to the bait and to leave you should be okay.  When the traps go beyond and actually impede the crab from leaving, thus "trapping" the crab inside the trap while unattended then that needs a permit.  Like Masspi said the star traps and box traps are more like catching devices rather than traps because a physical action by the fisherman catches the crab in the trap.  I have had most success with modified ring traps.  They can catch multiple crabs at once, and my modifications allow for some casting.
jcb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:41:08 AM »

"I have had most success with modified ring traps.  They can catch multiple crabs at once, and my modifications allow for some casting."

Would you be willing to share your modifications ?

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home