November 17, 2018, 08:27:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane...help or hinder?  (Read 2740 times)
Dr. No

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »

Will this hurricane that is about to be making it's way up the east coast make for better crabbing? I think hurricanes bring warm water up and crabs like warm water so... Huh
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »

They also bring tons of fresh water. It will  be interesting to say the least.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:24:46 AM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
shadow-13x

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »

my vote is it will hurt. churning up the bottom and putting tons of trash into the water. sewer plants will fail and dump into the streams.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »

Crabs are the least of our worries......this thing will take some lives and change others forever! Sad

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

Crabs are the least of our worries......this thing will take some lives and change others forever! Sad

Can anybody remember Katrina?  I can.  Lives were lost and some never found.  Let me say this--  if you haven't ridden out a hurricane GET OUT NOW!  No hurricane parties please.  Secure everything and leave if you're in a flood prone area.  If not water worry about tornados. Worry about the crabbing later.

On a brighter note Katrina dumped a lot of gulf water into Lk Pontchartrain.  There were more crabs and shrimp than ever before.  That was great but for commercials there wasn't any market for our catch.  No one outside Louisiana wanted to buy our seafood for the fear of contamination and no one here had homes or money to buy anything.  I lost thousands of dollars in gear but my family and I were safe.  Don't chance it and get out now before the mad house rush.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »

Great advice.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »

Made a cooperate decision today.  I decided not to deploy the remaining 250 traps from the yard.  Not enough crabs and getting close to the end of the season.  For me crabbing season ends when deer season starts. Grin   Time to stack traps.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

Does that mean no softies for the Wye Gathering?    Undecided

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home