February 22, 2018, 11:50:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freezing Winter Crabs in Texas  (Read 5192 times)
altaber

« on: February 21, 2003, 11:36:16 PM »

Read the NJ Grasshopper's excellent post regarding his experience using a clothes wringer to extract the firm chilled raw crab meat.  I have ordered one of the Chamois Wringers as listed on the site, http://www.wisementrading.com/washing/wringer.htm, on the last follow up to "Commercial Frozen Crabs".
Wringer is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday.  We fished last Tuesday with 6  of the 24" round nets and caught 22 crabs from noon until 4:30 p.m.  Cleaned them as suggested and placed them in the frig with ice.
Since the wringer was not due until Tuesday we cooked and at them on Thursday evening.  
We have made six traps as suggested on this form, How To Build A Crab Trap, and will set them tomorrow.
Will also use the 6 round nets and hope to increase our catch considerably.  
If we clean them and place them in the frig they would be there for three days when the wringer is supposed to be delivered by Fed Ex.
Things freeze on the left side of the lower part of our frig, but just stay very cold on the right side so I will be able to keep them very cold but is that safe.
My question is can fresh cleaned crabs be frozen and then thawed and ran through the rollers or through the Crab Master Machine to extract the meat just like fresh chilled  crabs?  Also can the meat be extracted from cooked crabs that have been chilled for 10 hours as suggested for fresh crabs?
Yes, I am grateful to have the opportunity to go crabbing this time of year here near Brownsville, TX.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Al
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 04:52:37 PM »

Hey Altaber ....... I read your post about crabbin this time of year ...with envy, (hummmm, maybe until July and August that is). Anyway. I can't wait to hear how this Chamois Wringer works for you.
As far as your questions ----- I know that any crab meat, whether in the shell or not will tend to get soft and lose some texture when frozen. This most surely will be increased by the rollers. I don't know, but guess that you will have alot of 'mush'. As far as using cooked crabs ..... my neighbor took some and tried it and while he got some meat out of the shells, he didn't get all. Alot was left ..... (what a waste).
So ----- your in a new situation with a new device. Try them all and let us know what works for you. The worst that can happen is that you have to sit around with some 'cold ones' and do some had pickin. Best of luck ........

"Want to be in '03"  NJ Grasshopper

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home