May 23, 2018, 12:49:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freezing Steamed Crabs  (Read 36495 times)
crabby jeff

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »

Anyone have experience with freezing steamed crabs (in shell) then reheating them. I seem to remember being about 20 (too many moons ago) Cry and a freinds dad crabbed all the time. I think that they used to freeze them steamed and reheat in a microwave.
Big Rad

Chase Happiness because life is short

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

I feeze crabs all the time.  I steam them when I reheat.  The crabs you buy (legs) are done that way at the markets...... Grin

I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??
crabby jeff

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »

You mean you freeze them live them steam? or you steam, freeze them, and resteam?
Thanks
NotABadCrab

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

You mean you freeze them live them steam? or you steam, freeze them, and resteam?
Thanks

No you DON"T FREEZE Them LIVE @ALL. I made that Mistake last year & I was told that the Crabs would not be Edible because of Bacteria.
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »

Thanks

No you DON"T FREEZE Them LIVE @ALL. I made that Mistake last year & I was told that the Crabs would not be Edible because of Bacteria.

I hear ya on this - I also have been warned - however I have done it - and still typing - I will not recommend it - but tell ya it is done. BEWARE do not let them thaw - steam frozen and make sure they be alive when ya freeze em - QUICK leave no time on either end for bacteria to grow. Again I do not recommend this. I just might have been lucky.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:36:08 AM »

steam then freeze,  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

I have frozen them all the time while they are alive and cooked them in Korean a soup later in the year. I would not try to steam them after they have been frozen as the meat will be soggy. But it gives a great seafood flavor to the soup. Meat is very soggy but during the winter I will take it. I have eaten over a bushel this way over the years and never had an issue.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »

Thanks

If you are looking to do this in a RETAIL fashion.....Actworth Seafood told me years ago they half steam them in the winter ...freeze them half steamed..then pull from freezer when a customer orders and then steam them again for 10-15 mins ...I personally wouldnt do it especially if I'm trying to build a good reputation in a new retail market..... as I think you are  Wink

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Professor_Leakey

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »

since my question is similar to the op's i hope it is ok for me to ask it in this thread. 

should i be cooking all crab before freezing them?  my girlfriend doesnt like the mustard and guts for some reason so ive been cleaning some of them up and then freezing them raw.  should i be steaming them first or is that fine when they are cleaned?  hopefully soon she will get a taste for mustard and then it wont matter. 

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
danielmancari

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »

since my question is similar to the op's i hope it is ok for me to ask it in this thread. 

should i be cooking all crab before freezing them?  my girlfriend doesnt like the mustard and guts for some reason so ive been cleaning some of them up and then freezing them raw.  should i be steaming them first or is that fine when they are cleaned?  hopefully soon she will get a taste for mustard and then it wont matter. 

I freeze cleaned raw crabs, never had an issue.  I've done it probably 15-18 times with zero issues.  I clean them real good then pack them up and throw them in the freezer right away.   Nobody has ever gotten sick and they've tasted about the same as cleaning then cooking them in my opinion. 

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

and they've tasted about the same as cleaning then cooking them in my opinion. 

because they both have no flavor?  lol Grin  jk

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Dr. Good Claw

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »

Read replies for steaming Blue Crab and seeking continued good info:
1. I catch live Blue
2. I want to steam or boil (do you think steaming is best or boiling) to cook crabs?
3. What do you think is a good time limit for cooking steamed or boiled?
4. After they are cooked I am going to freeze them, not cleaned, just the whole crab still in the shell.
4. Next will be to re-heat them and clean and eat but what is best method for reheating - steam, thaw, boil? How long?
5. You guys are great - Thanks

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »

Commercially cooked crabs are quick frozen with nitrogen @ -40f. This freezes the meat molecules so fast they don't have time to rupture and leak water. This keeps the flavor in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home