December 15, 2018, 07:13:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greater Houston Area Crabbers  (Read 10270 times)
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »

Do we have a listing of all of the crabbers on this forum from the Greater Houston area? I wouldn't mind getting together with you guys some time to do a little crabbing or to pick your minds for information on crabbing in the area. As my profile notes...I'm out in Katy. Anyone else around this area?

Thanks...

Kawika

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><
Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »

I'm down here in Santa Fe.  I crab mostly on the mainland in Galveston County or the west end (down the island as we used to refer to it) on the Island.  I crab year round, but since June the crabbing has been real slow this year.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

Yeah...I've been reading a bunch of posts on here...so from what I can gather...due to the extreme weather conditions this year...crabbing hasn't been the best. I'd still like to take the time to get to know the crabbers in the area & hopefully get a chance to crab with some of you some day. Most of the crabbing I did in Hawaii was primarily using ring nets in our rivers for Samoan/Mangrove crabs & Blue Pincher crabs (not sure if this is the same Blue crabs we have here). I've never learned to or even seen in person someone use a string & scoop net method to catch crab which seems pretty normal here.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><
Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

I was born in New Orleans and we always crabbed with ring nets.  We continued to use nets even after we moved to Texas. I even began tying my own nets.  I wish I could remember how.  We also used traps, referred to as pots on this forum. 

I first used hand lines when I was an adult and living in Galveston.  I enjoy using the hand lines because it seems to be more sporting and challenging.  Give it a try, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Craig
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »

I definitely plan on sticking with some ring nets simply from experience while also giving the "pots" & string methods a try. I'm mainly going to be working from the shore/bank/pier as I don't have access to a boat. I'm just hoping to get a chance to get to know more folks here on the forums so I can find some folks to head on out there with.

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile

Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »

I live in Magnolia, Tx. I usually crab the Gulf side of the North Jetty on the Bolivar Peninsula. Going to try a few new spots if the weather conditions change.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »

Well...if either of you or anyone else is looking for some company on any of your upcoming trips...I'd love to join you.

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
Pelon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »

Live in League City myself . Haven't crabbed much , but when our fishing camp gets finished I'll strat . I do know of several locations to try as i grew up in Santa Fe and have fished my whole life . This is the only crabbing forum for us Gulf Coasters that i know of .

Livin the life, the West Bay way .
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »

I grew up as a son of a fisherman in Hawaii...so I spent many days fishing the waters of Kauai growing up. We spent practically every weekend at the beach saltwater fishing, crabbing, diving, etc. I've been living here in Houston since 1995...but haven't really tried to get into fishing until most recently. I've tried shore fishing along Galveston many years ago...took a guide for redfish & trout...did the party boat out of Galveston...and most recently been doing some catfishing around the Katy area. I did lots of crabbing while growing up...mainly using ring nets dropped from the bank, piers, bridges, boats or from a rubber raft for Samoan & blue pincher crabs. I'd like to get back into fishing & crabbing here in Texas. I just need to find some people to learn from... Smiley I've been browsing a lot of the various Texas fishing forums when I happened upon this one. Hope to get out for some fishing this weekend. Hopefully I can start trying some crabbing down the road as well.

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »

Kawika,

I'm going to go out Friday morning at sunup.  I think I will try one of the rock groins on the seawall.  I have not crabbed one in over twenty years, but used to do real well there back then.  I'm on call for a week starting today, so I cannot get to far from my vehicle.  I have to be able to respond to a call in Dickinson within an hour of receiving it.  That limits the number of lines that I can put out and where I can go.  

May be able to go out the following Sunday.  Just need to be finished before noon.  The Texans have a 12:00 game against the Steelers.  Get with me if you are available.

Craig

Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »

I'll PM you in a minute.

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

Based on your post...I also had a question...do you guys primarily crab during the morning hours here? Back home we had our best luck in the early evening, overnight & early morning hours. This was primarily using ring nets.

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »

I'm going to go out Friday morning at sunup.  I think I will try one of the rock groins on the seawall.  I have not crabbed one in over twenty years, but used to do real well there back then.  I'm on call for a week starting today, so I cannot get to far from my vehicle.  I have to be able to respond to a call in Dickinson within an hour of receiving it.  That limits the number of lines that I can put out and where I can go.  

May be able to go out the following Sunday.  Just need to be finished before noon.  The Texans have a 12:00 game against the Steelers.  Get with me if you are available.

If you go out to the rock groins on the Galveston seawall, please post a report. I'm interested in seeing how you do.

Standup Paddleboard: SUP Sports Hammer: Length 8' 11". Width: 31". Thickness: 4". Volume: 140 Liters. Weight: 17#.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

Kawika

Hellow.  Glad to see a new member on the board even though ya from Texas laugh laugh laugh

If ya don't know where Kenner is its a suburb of New Orleans.  I don't like far from the N.O. airport.

If ya get this way look me up and we'll go crabbing. 

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Pelon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »

Kawika , I've got a friend that crabs off the rock peirs in Galveston at night and loads up .

Livin the life, the West Bay way .

BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »

I thought the Texans were playing the Saints>
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

I like to crab in the morning. I try to get at my crabbing spot as it's getting light. But, when I do crab in the mornings, I always get in sync with a moving tide.

BTW, this site is the best site for us Gulf Coast crabbers.  Cheesy

Kawika

Hawaiian Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »

Thanks for the offer Ronnie...if I'm ever in the area....I'll definitely look you up.

Pelon...if your friend ever needs company...I'd be happy to tag along & hopefully learn a thing or two.

Night...for some reason I was always under the impression (in Hawaii anyways) that the crabs were more active in the evenings. Most of our crabbing is done in the rivers though...

Kawika
Katy, TX
Good Fish Profile
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »

Crabs will bite day and night, but when the tide slacks, the bite stops. I like to use this tide chart to help me pick a good day to go crabbing. The link below is for Texas.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texas

Once you pick a place on the Texas coast, click on the sub link. On the next page, scroll on down past the ads and you'll see lots of useful info.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:19:47 PM by Night Wing » Logged

cachemoney

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »

i'd be interested in meeting up with any houstonites for some crabbing

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home