September 18, 2019, 06:26:09 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taste Difference in Blue Crabs  (Read 20031 times)
Avalonjohn44

http://libertarianbass.blogspot.com/

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2005, 11:56:32 AM »

I have two questions/observations...

One:  Is there a difference in taste between a crab caught in salt water and a crab caught in fresh?  The Occoquon River is a fresh water tributary of the Potomac, and I just found that there are blue crabs to be caught there.  The ones I saw were covered in some brownish algae/slime, but were definitely blue crabs.  The fellow catching them said they were fine to eat, but I am leary of anything that shares water with the potomac...

Two:  I've noticed a difference in taste and meat consistancey between South Jersey crabs caught in the ICW and Chesapeake Blues.  The Chesapeake ones are 'fuller' andhave a heavier meat and a sweeter taste.  I was wondering if anyone else found this to be the case or if I'm just imagining it.

Too many of us think only shallowly of Freedom and Liberty. True Freedom isn\'t what or how many tattoos or piercings to get. Liberty is not found in laws, regulations or statutes. Government can never give you freedom-it can only find ways to limit it. Government Tyranny is the only thing that will reeducate us on the lessons of Freedom and Liberty. The results of the '08 election are now the beginning of our lesson.
http://libertarianbass.blogspot.com/
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 02:09:20 PM »

your part 2: not only your observation but taht of the entire industry.... that is why MD crabs cost more

beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 02:44:57 PM »

JMHO but I gotta disagree. I lived and crabbed in MD for my first 55 years then moved to Flori-duh, (land of the newly wed and nearly dead). Unless my taste buds and the taste buds of all my Maryland visitors have died, we can't tell the difference between MD crabs and Florida crabs, as long as they're steamed the same way using JO spices.

I always thought the price of MD crabs was higher because of the supply-demand thing up there not the taste.

Somebody ship me a couple dozen #1, MD jimmies and I'll conduct a blind taste test and report back.

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:03:41 PM »

NICE TRY BEACH BUM  laugh

New Britain, CT
Thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 07:15:40 PM »

I don't think it is necessarily the water that make Ches. Bay (yes both VA and MD) crabs taste the best but the location and the way the changes in the climate affect the bay do.  I have eaten crabs from Louisiana all the way around FLA and up the cost to Jersey and most you can't tell the difference.  When I can is when the summers are really hot and dry and the crabs in the day shed every moon cycle.  Makes a difference, don't know why but it does.

mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »

I feel there is a great difference in taste.....we bought just a dozen crabs for Christmas Eve this past year...they tasted like nothing...they all didn't even get eaten..and for $25 bucks, I was pissed!!!

These crabs were from down south...they taste nothing like the good ole' Chesapeake Bay crabs...wether caught in tributaries or not!!!

"land of the newly wed and nearly dead"...got a chuckle out of that one!!

Janice
Thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 07:12:04 AM »

Must be all the chicken sh*t, fertilizer and other run off from the Potomac, Suq and othere tribs that dump into the bay that make them taste that way Smiley

Janice do you notice a difference in the tast of the ones in DE or local waters that aren't from the Ches. Bay?  Really interested to know what you think.
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 11:12:09 AM »

WELL LOOKS LIKE WHEN MY VACATION COMES AROUND IM GONNA HAVE TO TAKE A DRIVE DOWN THERE TO SEE WHAT THE FUSS IS ABOUT.  I'LL BRING A BATCH OF MY CT CRABS AND SEE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS.   Grin Grin

New Britain, CT
LastDrift

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »

8)I have noooo doubt that the crabs caught in the Chesapeake and it's tributaries are sweet, sweet, sweet.  The rare guests that get to enjoy the fruits of my labor always comment on the flavor and fullness. That's why we are driven to get up at 3:00am to get'em.
CRABBINGDOLL
Lifetime Member

AND GOD CREATED CRABS!..WHAT A MAN!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 10:08:08 PM »

8)I have noooo doubt that the crabs caught in the Chesapeake and it's tributaries are sweet, sweet, sweet.  The rare guests that get to enjoy the fruits of my labor always comment on the flavor and fullness. That's why we are driven to get up at 3:00am to get'em.

I agree....Cheasapeake Crabs are so much sweeter....being a Jersey crabber ...my son just took a trip to the Wye River and ...boy...were the crabs ever so sweet and sooooo big....bought one home that was 8 1/4...we fought over that one....taking a trip on 08/18/05 to the Wye...to find out what all the fuss is about....even though i have viewed the photos on the forum....i'm still not afraid to pull them up!!!!

If you like what you are experiencing....make a donation

Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 10:13:48 PM »

I agree....Cheasapeake Crabs are so much sweeter....being a Jersey crabber ...my son just took a trip to the Wye River and ...boy...were the crabs ever so sweet and sooooo big....bought one home that was 8 1/4...we fought over that one....taking a trip on 08/18/05 to the Wye...to find out what all the fuss is about....even though i have viewed the photos on the forum....i'm still not afraid to pull them up!!!!
Bring a change of pants! laugh laugh

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
CRABBINGDOLL
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »

Bring a change of pants! laugh laugh

Tooo funny...will post the results.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 10:32:33 PM »

Tooo funny...will post the results.... Shocked Shocked Shocked
I'll be looking for you post, I'll be on the Wye friday, then near you in Sea Isle City for the weekend eating my catch with Crabstadude, We may do some crabbing down there wih my son and niece just to pass the time, while we're there. after all we Can't lay on the sand all the time when your a cuple of crabbin junkies!  lol

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 09:15:12 AM »

After all this talk - I gotta throw my 2 cents worth in.....
It may not be primarily where the crabs come from but how long they have been living off their own body fat and their size

QUESTION:

How much marbleing and taste will a cow have, that has been fattened prior to slaughter (fresh caught crab) versus having a cow which was put in a pen with no food or water for two weeks then eaten ( crabs sitting in a cold box or in shipping and crapping on each other)

Folks tell me the that crabs are like beef - the older the tougher the meat and less flavor.

6 to 7 inch crabs taste the best, sweet ----  older is just bigger ( smaller rockfish taste better than the big ones)

fresh caught is best and I do like the big ones --- IMHO
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 09:48:54 AM »

ive always told people crabs go bad before they die. a cooked crab (cooked on the first day) will taste better after 5 days than a live crab sitting in a cold room and then steamed after 5 days.  I sell everything the same day, and i know some other crabbers who keep the crabs alive in the water opposed to keeping them cold.
on top of that chesapeake crabs do have a better taste, regardless of how fresh you get them

Buy direct from the crabber or catch them yourselves!  Wink

beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 10:54:07 AM »

Without a doubt- fresher is better. The absolutely best tasting crab I ever ate was about 15 years ago when I was foolish enough to own a 26 ft cabin cruiser. I caught a nice jimmy just east of Knapps Narrows and had a propane stove and steamer set up on the boat. I pulled this crab out of the water and dropped him right in the steamer. Can't get any fresher than that and I still remember the taste of it. pleased

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 11:23:26 AM »

I agree with BB and Procrabber... zap 'em as soon as possible, and the flavor will be locked in.

Git 'r dun!
CRABBINGDOLL
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 06:28:09 PM »

I'll be looking for you post, I'll be on the Wye friday, then near you in Sea Isle City for the weekend eating my catch with Crabstadude, We may do some crabbing down there wih my son and niece just to pass the time, while we're there. after all we Can't lay on the sand all the time when your a cuple of crabbin junkies!  lol

Where do you go? We used to go off the overpasses in Atlantic City. That was a long time ago.Then we found out about Beaver Dam and started going there until the place dried up. There doesn't seem to be to much crabs left there. We also used to throw traps on the bridge called "Turkey Hill". I'll be posting my results at the Wye and some pics too.

Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 08:00:25 PM »

we just play around in Ludham Bay to pass the time with the kids, gives them a chance to be the crabbers, like their dads are on the Wye, but just on a smaller nj size scale.  Good luck on the Wye and I'll be looking for that post and pics!!!

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 12:48:50 PM »

i would not go anywhere near the upper potomac.from the 301 bridge up to its fresh water feeding area as i have read but i may be mistaken is classsified by dnr not to eat more than 30 crabs a year from there.some places are restricted from eating anything.the potomac is basically washington,D.C sewage canal.

as for the difference in taste,ima go out on a limb here but a good reason for the difference in taste and fullness would definately be due to the salinity.the chesapeake bay offers more areas for crabs to hang out,like coves and back streams wheras places like florida and jersey and such dont have much of a place to hide out and also don't have really much of a way for the water to cleanse itself.most seafood houses in maryland and espcially in ocean city don't serve chesapeake bay crabs.they serve crabs from north carolina and lousiana.thier very light ,very sour and probably are the worst crabs you'll eat.i guess thats why they offer from 14.99 to 24.99 all you can eat crabs.you get what you pay for.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home