August 20, 2019, 09:14:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think they may be leaving. Kent Island 10/17/11  (Read 5820 times)
cullermagic

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »

Had the worst day today since April. Launched at 10am and dropped 29 traps baited with fresh necks in my usual spot of 4-6 feet. Five checks later I had 8 really nice mudders over 6 inches in the basket and about 10 tossbacks. I pulled up everything and ran about a mile and dropped all in 8-12 feet and let it soak for half an hour thinking they were going to be in this deeper water. When I pulled the first set I got 3 big boys, after that it was hit or miss all afternoon. Ended up with only 23 keepers between just legal and 7.5 inches, I havent had this bad since early spring. I MIGHT try one more trip with my daughter this weekend but I believe its about over. Todays water temp was 60 degrees. Fall rockfishing here I come.

It's not the size of the wand, it's the magic thats in it
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »

I think you may be right. I was in crab alley on Sunday and it was slow in all depths. We could not find the crabs. We ended up with 30 nice quality crabs, but we had to work for them. May try a spot on the severn next week. Hopefully we can get them as there moving out.

I wish i was a crab.
cullermagic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »

I think you may be right. I was in crab alley on Sunday and it was slow in all depths. We could not find the crabs. We ended up with 30 nice quality crabs, but we had to work for them. May try a spot on the severn next week. Hopefully we can get them as there moving out.
Its amazing the difference a week makes. Last Monday my daughter and I filled a basket in under 3 hours and on Tuesday I got 3/4 of a basket in 4 hours. This week I think I could have stayed out for 10 hours and never filled it. Its been a great year though...

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »

It has been a great year on the eastern shore. Its sad to see them leaving. My girlfriend and i only had 15 traps and spent 2 hrs crabbing last weekend. We had a half bushel nice crabs. Sunday my dad and i had 25 traps and spent almost 5 hrs and only had 30. What a difference a week makes is right.

I wish i was a crab.
Crabwisher

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »

Man i hope it is just the moon and the tides.

Cmoore613

I GOT A CASE OF THE CRABS!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

NICE TRY. Better luck next time with your daughter.  Smiley
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »

Deeper water seemed to work better down there last week for us too. We cancled our trip for monday after i checked the forecast and we didnt believe the winds would die down.
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »

Toughest thing this time of the year is the wind. The crabs are deeper and getting to them is more of a challenge with the wind. Once in a while you can find a lee shore that is near deep water. Good luck!
cullermagic

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »

Toughest thing this time of the year is the wind. The crabs are deeper and getting to them is more of a challenge with the wind. Once in a while you can find a lee shore that is near deep water. Good luck!
The wind is a big problem however yesterday was very calm. I only have 15 feet of line on my traps so I cant go super deep. I'm going to try again Thursday and Sunday so I hope I can find some. Below is a pic of what I did with yesterdays modest catch.

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »

Omg that looks good..

I wish i was a crab.

Straw Hatter

A crab in the net is worth two in the water !

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »

The wind is a big problem however yesterday was very calm. I only have 15 feet of line on my traps so I cant go super deep. I'm going to try again Thursday and Sunday so I hope I can find some. Below is a pic of what I did with yesterdays modest catch.
I tip my cap to anyone who can pull traps deeper than about 14 feet.  Too much work for a wimp like me.  After two runs I'd be beat ... unless there's a crab in every trap.  For some reason that always makes the pain go away.

SH
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

Omg that looks good..

Agreed!

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
mblanche

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

Last year this time I was running in 18 feet of water and killing it. However, the weather was not nearly this crazy last fall. I'm going out friday morning on the Severn, I'll be sure to post a report that weekend.
clueless crabber

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

I'm giving it a shot on Friday as well ill probably be going to the Wye last year in the end of October we slammed them at the Choptank 2 bushels but for me the Choptank is a long drive so we will be trying the Wye or maybe on the west side of the bay this time, give you a post

Bernie for president!
stoogeman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »

Had the worst day today since April. Launched at 10am and dropped 29 traps baited with fresh necks in my usual spot of 4-6 feet. Five checks later I had 8 really nice mudders over 6 inches in the basket and about 10 tossbacks. I pulled up everything and ran about a mile and dropped all in 8-12 feet and let it soak for half an hour thinking they were going to be in this deeper water. When I pulled the first set I got 3 big boys, after that it was hit or miss all afternoon. Ended up with only 23 keepers between just legal and 7.5 inches, I havent had this bad since early spring. I MIGHT try one more trip with my daughter this weekend but I believe its about over. Todays water temp was 60 degrees. Fall rockfishing here I come.

Hmmm, we went out the day after you and were able to pack a bushel in 3 1/2 hours. A guy came in right behind us who also had a bushel. We were in our regular spot and with high tide, the water depth was 4-6 feet. Nice crabs, too.

cullermagic

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

Hmmm, we went out the day after you and were able to pack a bushel in 3 1/2 hours. A guy came in right behind us who also had a bushel. We were in our regular spot and with high tide, the water depth was 4-6 feet. Nice crabs, too.
Stoogeman, glad you found em!! I am going tomorrow (in the wind) and give it a shot, a friend wants one more trip this year, and I'm taking my daughter Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

stoogeman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »

Stoogeman, glad you found em!! I am going tomorrow (in the wind) and give it a shot, a friend wants one more trip this year, and I'm taking my daughter Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Man...with 15-20 kt winds gusting to 30 kts, you may want to rethink going on Thursday. It can get pretty hairy if you have to cross out into the open bay. Friday's forcast doesn't look much better. Good luck just the same!
cullermagic

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »

Man...with 15-20 kt winds gusting to 30 kts, you may want to rethink going on Thursday. It can get pretty hairy if you have to cross out into the open bay. Friday's forcast doesn't look much better. Good luck just the same!
I am probally gonna stay down in the area you saw me at with my daughter, its sheltered in there so it might not be too bad. I have done great in there this year with the exception of Monday so maybe I can find em again. Thursday is my friends only free day so we will give it a try Grin Grin

MetroMan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »

Good lord that crabcake sandwich looks delicious
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »

I heard 15-25 mph winds for thursday and gusts higher.. so be careful or maybe reschedule... also Wye has not been much better as of late.....  hit or miss
went Yesterday ( Tuesday ) and we got 53 crabs in 4 hours running 30 topless....depths all over.... a few as shalllow as 4 ft... but most 7 - 11 maybe a dozen sooks and 8 of those pesky wiggly mud catfish...   laugh  size and quality was good not great.. most 6 - 6.5 few 7 inch  few 5 1/2 - 6 inch... so OK day...
not on fire, but they are still there but you gotta work for em......

I am off Thursday and Friday this week also... not sure if I am going to go early Black Powder deer hunt or crab.. or maybe just go bass fish the local lake at this point...
With the heavy rain and then high winds today through tomorrow not ideal condtions for deer hunting.... sitting in the rain or high winds in a 20 ft tree stand is not very enjoyable... besides doubt much will move the next two days.......  especially since the fields still have crop in them.. so not much to break the fields ......  and woods still mostly have all their leaves which limits site of view line of fire.... and too rough to take boat out.. so maybe Friday or Saturday....

Good luck and be safe.... Wink

MD / PA Line

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home