December 11, 2018, 02:58:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fisheries regulators OK menhaden limits  (Read 3735 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: November 10, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

"States from Maine to Florida voted Wednesday to set new, strict limits on catching menhaden from coastal waters and the Chesapeake Bay, handing environmentalists and sports fishermen a major victory in how this important little fish is managed.

"This is great news for jobs, for our economy and for a society that values wildlife," Will Baker, president of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, said in a statement after the vote.

At a meeting in Boston culminating more than a year of scientific calculations, loud public hearings and more than 90,000 public comments, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission adopted targets and thresholds intent on restoring menhaden stocks coastwide.

Once implemented after another year of study and debate, the measures are expected to reduce harvests by up to 37 percent - cuts that Virginia officials say will be damaging to the menhaden industry centered in the Northern Neck town of Reedville and to watermen who catch and sell the oily fish as bait.

The economic fallout "could be enormous," said Jack Traveslstead, Virginia director of fisheries, who represents the state on the coastal commission. "It's going to cause a lot of hurt. There's going to be job loss. And I suspect the price of crab bait probably just went up by 40 percent or so."

Complete story here -> http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/fisheries-regulators-ok-menhaden-limits

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

...and there was suddenly a hushed silence in chicken coops everywhere...

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »

What is menhaden.  Is it a specific fish all to itself like Bass, crappie, catfish. or does it encompass numrous types?

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »

What is menhaden.  Is it a specific fish all to itself like Bass, crappie, catfish. or does it encompass numrous types?
It's a oily fish that just about everything that swims eat.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:08 AM »

apparently mine didnt get the memo Grin...and the rooster survived a 3rd boot kicking to the chest region today...guess they are pretty tough...lol

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »

Charlie the Tuna  is greatly over whelmed and please by the Fisheries decision to limit Menhaden limits. Charlie states “ It's about time someone stands up and does something for our socially repressed cousins. There are other alternatives and it is time to look at them.”

Meanwhile back in the barnyard there are rumors stating Foghorn J. Leghorn and Clarabelle The Cow seem more friendly then ever. It is reported Foghorn and Clarabelle may be entering into some private negotiations. It is rumored these negotiations could lead to an end of the Chick Fil A war.

In an interview with Foghorn J. Leghorn about these rumors and his feelings on the Fisheries
 Menhaden limits his reply was short and pointed, “Myself and the rest of my feathered friends are tired of sticking our necks out.”

Clarabelle The Cow was equally short and point in her reply when asked about the rumor alliance between she and Foghorn regarding the Chick Fil A war . She simply stated “My lips are sealed.”

Daffy Duck and Ferdinand Bull were said to be on vacation however it is believed these two where in secret negotiations during the very time our interviews were taking place.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:38:52 AM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »

laugh

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »

[ Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:45:21 PM by mdjohn » Logged
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »

There definitely appears to be some kind of organized movement in the Barnyard. This just in from Youtube.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »

Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:45:46 PM by mdjohn » Logged

TunaCans

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »

"States from Maine to Florida voted Wednesday to set new, strict limits on catching menhaden from coastal waters and the Chesapeake Bay, handing environmentalists and sports fishermen a major victory in how this important little fish is managed.

"This is great news for jobs, for our economy and for a society that values wildlife," Will Baker, president of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, said in a statement after the vote.

At a meeting in Boston culminating more than a year of scientific calculations, loud public hearings and more than 90,000 public comments, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission adopted targets and thresholds intent on restoring menhaden stocks coastwide.

Once implemented after another year of study and debate, the measures are expected to reduce harvests by up to 37 percent - cuts that Virginia officials say will be damaging to the menhaden industry centered in the Northern Neck town of Reedville and to watermen who catch and sell the oily fish as bait.

The economic fallout "could be enormous," said Jack Traveslstead, Virginia director of fisheries, who represents the state on the coastal commission. "It's going to cause a lot of hurt. There's going to be job loss. And I suspect the price of crab bait probably just went up by 40 percent or so."

Complete story here -> http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/fisheries-regulators-ok-menhaden-limits

More overreg's that make no sense, just like the spiny dogfish which is devastating the young 'Tog/SeaBass on the wrecks.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home