December 08, 2019, 11:26:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter crabbing project?  (Read 16600 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »

Besides all the regular boat stuff to do I have to replace the shift cable.  First step complete, I got the new one.  Went to the local Yammy dealer and he told me the Yammy cables are junk. At this point I have to agree. Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »

My dad and i just got done doing a shift cable replacement on his grady white last fall.

I wish i was a crab.
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Get out of my wheelhouse!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:16 AM »

Do you have a winter crabbing project for this year?

Mine is to outfit my pontoon boat with a propstick so I can run trotlines this year.
I would like to see that a pontoon boat running a trotline. Beings I never seen it before!  I like pontoon boats very much because of the room on them. I am sure you will get r done it shouldnt be difficult.  I found that you can run a trotline just about off of anykind of boat. I take you have a lower platform or something where you would  be able to dip the crabs from and not have to reach to far. 
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

Looking for suggestions on the best way to paint the bottom of my aluminum boat.  Already have all the pain removed to bare metal.  I realize that I can not paint til spring.  Is it primer first, bottom paint 2nd, then some kind of clear coat?Huh? Undecided
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »

Looking for suggestions on the best way to paint the bottom of my aluminum boat. 

Use a spray gun...

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

ok I used a brush last year and it didnt hold up.  And I didnt put a primer on.  So wanna do it right this time, thank u
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »

Looking for suggestions on the best way to paint the bottom of my aluminum boat.  Already have all the pain removed to bare metal.  I realize that I can not paint til spring.  Is it primer first, bottom paint 2nd, then some kind of clear coat?Huh? Undecided

I'd consider starting with a coat of Gluvitz to seal it up.    1 gallon was a little more than I needed for my 16 foot Jon and I tried to put it on liberally especially around the rivets.  I used primer on the shiney metal parts.  I applied my paint by brush cause a paint gun was not available - even rolled some of it.  It's held on pretty good for three seasons now.

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »

Got a G3 aluminum boat which doesnt have rivets, everything is welded.  But appreciate the input and hope I could get three years out of it.  I keep it in the water all summer so trying to avoid them barnicles if I can. I will look into that stuff you were refering to.  Thanks!
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »

Supposedly, the normal copper/based anti-fouling bottom paints will react with and corrode aluminum. Find a tin/based paint made for aluminum and follow their directions for the best results.
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »

Supposedly, the normal copper/based anti-fouling bottom paints will react with and corrode aluminum. Find a tin/based paint made for aluminum and follow their directions for the best results.
Yes you are correct about that.  I did ask about that last year and they told me the same thing.  thanks

Crabs n clams

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

For aluminum you need a self etching primer for the paint to stick to the aluminum. Then a good hard barier coat followed by a bottom paint that will not have a galvonic reaction with the aluminun. Most bottom paint has copper or other metalic toxins in it to keep off the barnicles but copper has a galvonic reaction with aluminum and it will eat holes in your aluminum bottom. They do make bottom paints that are safe for aluminum and that is what you need to get...Charlie
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

For aluminum you need a self etching primer for the paint to stick to the aluminum. Then a good hard barier coat followed by a bottom paint that will not have a galvonic reaction with the aluminun. Most bottom paint has copper or other metalic toxins in it to keep off the barnicles but copper has a galvonic reaction with aluminum and it will eat holes in your aluminum bottom. They do make bottom paints that are safe for aluminum and that is what you need to get...Charlie
I think I will do it the way you have desribed.  I wouldnt be able to catch crabs with holes in my boat.  I appreciate the input from you and the other suggestions.  Glad I found this site especially because of a hard headed no it all like myself.  Thanks Charlie
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:46 PM »

clean up my traps, untangle lines etc, make a prop stick finally for the new duck boat..... spool all my fishing rods fresh and salt..... clean all my firearms....
organize tackle bags fo rbass, organize trout vests, patch two sets of waders that got small leaks.....
clean my basement out.......  as much as possible so when spring comes I can trout fish, bass fish, rockfish, crab, rockfish, bass fish, duck and goose hunt deer hunt ...   lol

Jack yeah my neighbor Mr Bob worked for teleflex for years.... and my brother just replaced his hydraulic lines in his charter boat with teleflex..definitely top of line stuff......

MD / PA Line
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »

Never heard of it,do you have a link ?
http://www.wahooindustries.net//~stores/529523_preview.jpg
bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »

Being out all last year my project is to get the axle fixed, new, battery , engine tune up and whatever else i find to get her ready for next season.

I WILL get my boat out next year!

Ravendave
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

Just got done making over a mile of snoodline for a member.  I am gonna deliver the lines to him at Grabbes event.  I will also have a line to giveaway as a door prize.  Can't wait.

Snoodlines made to order and built to last
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »

Just got done making over a mile of snoodline for a member.  I am gonna deliver the lines to him at Grabbes event.  I will also have a line to giveaway as a door prize.  Can't wait.

Gonna start making a 6000 footer here soon.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Ravendave
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »

Gonna start making a 6000 footer here soon.
awesome. Grin Grin Grin  Are you gonna clip them together and run 1 long line?  That would be fun.

Ravendave
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Looks like my chances of getting my project out on the water took a step in the right direction.  I have a really old tee nee trailer that had a busted shock. I gave it them a good soak of wd-40 and "nuts off" and was able to get them loose.  Gonna put some new ones on this weekend.  Still a lot of work to do but if I can get out on the water I'll be running lines right next to Craig's. Grin Grin Grin

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »

Where did you spray  " nuts off"?  Don't let your wife talk you into stuff like that.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home