September 17, 2019, 08:26:32 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: giant trap  (Read 3512 times)
FishinCT

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »

So I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'd like to build a giant star trap. I don't see anything in the CT regulations limiting the size of a startrap but if I missed something pleas let me know. All the startraps I've seen come in 12 or 16 inches so I'm thinking I want at least 32" maybe even bigger. With 3 or 4 pieces of bait tied to a trap that size i can see it pulling up half a dozen crabs at a time. Any one ever try any thing like this or hear of it? Thoughts opinions?
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

you wont catch that many more then in a small trap with the same baits or even a single bait..  plus its gonna be like pullin up a cinderblock...use more traps then bigger traps... jmo  tried it..used 3 ex-large traps for 3 weeks last year....caught 2 at one time but have caught 3 in a single baited trap so dispells that myth imo

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

I have a stretch on a local river that catches 3 and 4 regularly and i'm only using the normal 10 X 10 or 12 X 12 foxymates (not really sure of the size) with one peice of bunker or two 1 inch necks per trap.  I haven't crabbed long so maybe my experiance isn't the best but I think if the crabs are there you'll catch if they want food and they'll fit. If you're beating em off with a stcik go bigger if not i would say do whats normal.  You may pull more traps but it won't be as heavy or take up as much space.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

you wont catch that many more then in a small trap with the same baits or even a single bait..  plus its gonna be like pullin up a cinderblock...use more traps then bigger traps... jmo  tried it..used 3 ex-large traps for 3 weeks last year....caught 2 at one time but have caught 3 in a single baited trap so dispells that myth imo

This is all right on target.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
FishinCT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »

Thank you guys for the feedback. I am not too concerned about the weight or space because I would mostly use it from a bridge or dock that I can park fairly close to. I am new to crabbing last season being my first but I came up with this idea when I was using a startrap off a bridge in a shallow creek. I was watching  5 or 6 crabs fighting over the bait in my trap but they kept chasing each other out of the trap. I was trying to time my pull to get them all but only got 2 or 3. So if this is what is going on under the water what I'm thinking is with a bigger trap when I pull even the ones chased off the bait will hopefully be on the doors. Although I have pulled up 3 or 4 crabs in a standard size trap on a good day. I think with a larger trap this will be more common. If I can get the materials for a good price I might start an experimental one next month. It cant hurt to see what happens.

mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »

go for it

experience is the best teacher

except for sky diving without using a parachute, noodling for sharks and messing with polar bears

Wink Grin

Grin
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:30:53 PM by mdjohn » Logged
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »

I think cutting down a beanstalk is your best bet, but that's just my opinion... laugh laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home