August 24, 2019, 02:56:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attending CT traps  (Read 3591 times)
mel44869

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »

I know in Connecticut you have to attend all traps and they have to be star, net etc... but I am looking for a way to leave pots overnight. If i get a commercial license will that allow leaving pots overnight. It says in the description of the license that you can use commercial equipment, which gives me the idea that I can use pots but I want to make sure I am understanding this right.
FishinCT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »

Cross the sound into NY waters I think they let you use pots.
mel44869

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »

Never thought of that, I guess you are smarter then me. Thanks for the idea. This isn't the spot on the forums but does anyone know if I need a NY commercial permit to place pot in NY waters?

EDIT: I would be selling them in CT.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »

Check the NY crabbing regs.    I believe its listed at the top of the forum.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
cedar999

Catch and release - into the grease!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »

I know in Connecticut you have to attend all traps and they have to be star, net etc... but I am looking for a way to leave pots overnight. If i get a commercial license will that allow leaving pots overnight. It says in the description of the license that you can use commercial equipment, which gives me the idea that I can use pots but I want to make sure I am understanding this right.

The folks at DEP and the Enviro Police are very helpful on the phone, which is particularly nice since the laws here are so vague. If you are looking to sell crabs wholesale you will need a license from somewhere I'm sure, as your customers will need the license number on file.  If you're just looking for crabs for domestic consumption (you and your friends) and you have a boat, lots of people drop commercial "Chesapeake Style" pots off their boats at mooring on thin, carefully concealed lines. These commercial pots are sold in bright daylight at tackle shops all along the shoreline.  Clearly illegal to use them without a license, but it is done all the time. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying....

I personally don't do that.  But for what it's worth, we don't have a sustainable population of blue crabs in LI Sound.  We are at the northern edge of their natural range, and maybe every third season all of the over-wintering crabs who buried themselves in the mud and silt in the fall end up starving out due to a long cold winter.  Crabs are cold-blooded, and though they "hibernate" they can only last so long without food, and a prolonged cold winter can starve them before they become warm enough to emerge and start feeding heavily again.  I think that is why it seems that no one (including the DEP) takes the regs very seriously, or even really understands them. Save a generation by heavy enforcement only to lose all their offspring next year due to unpredictable variations in winter climate? Pointless, or at least I think so.

Crabbing regulations are a lot more important in the Chesapeake than they are here, IMHO.

Good luck!
Paul
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:13:15 PM by cedar999 » Logged

mako20cc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »

I've seen pots used. And usually at boat docks. Just don't let others see them is the key thing. Or they will get stolen like Lobster traps. We put them out at low tide with no ropes. And mark the spot on GPS. When you need to check. Just grapple or wait for low tide and look.
In the right area we clean up. Never had a problem with DEP. Just think if people knew they would steal them. I agree that you won't be bothered. But not legal if you get greedy. I have only one that I play with from time to time. I still go the old fashion way. And if you really want to slaughter'em go at night on a calm day in mid August with a good Q-Beam and john boat. Caught 150 Big males one night that way. Kid's had a blast.   GoodLuck, MAKO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home