July 08, 2020, 06:54:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Need Pots  (Read 7859 times)
JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions on were to buy crab pots and what kind to get. I plan on buying two pots but am not sure where to get them, what I should expect to pay for the pots and if I need anything beside the pot, bait, buoy, and nylon line. I live in Newport News but travel to the south side regularly. I also plan on putting the pots out about a mile north of the JRB just off the shore. How far from shore should they be. Is there a depth range I should be looking for. I will put them out in the evening and check them first thing in the morning or put them out before work and check them 9 hours later when I get off. Is this an acceptable practice or do I need to check them more frequently then this. Do you feel I will have any luck in this part of the James or should I head out to the York. Any advice will be appreciated as this is my first time putting pots in the water.

Thanks
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions on were to buy crab pots and what kind to get. I plan on buying two pots but am not sure where to get them, what I should expect to pay for the pots and if I need anything beside the pot, bait, buoy, and nylon line. I live in Newport News but travel to the south side regularly. I also plan on putting the pots out about a mile north of the JRB just off the shore. How far from shore should they be. Is there a depth range I should be looking for. I will put them out in the evening and check them first thing in the morning or put them out before work and check them 9 hours later when I get off. Is this an acceptable practice or do I need to check them more frequently then this. Do you feel I will have any luck in this part of the James or should I head out to the York. Any advice will be appreciated as this is my first time putting pots in the water.

Thanks
Wow lot of questions at one time...... Grin

You should be able to get a crab  pot just about anywhere.  Plan on paying around 35-50 bucks for already made up pot (everything included, ready to fish). As far as where to put them, you will need to try different depths and locations.  Crabs move around.  I would put the pots out and then wait 3+ days to fish them.  All depends on how cold/hot the water is.  When it's cool the bait can last for a week.  When the water is hot it can be gone in a day. Good luck.. Cause  "THERE ARE NO CRABS IN VA!"  Wink Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

I've never seen a pot with bait in it at the stores! You would want to buy it separately anyhow! Wink
JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Thanks for the help. One last question for now. How long can the crab survive inside the pot with and with out bait. Can they survive say 5 or 6 days in the pot if they have bait to eat. I would just hate to leave my pots to long and waste a bunch of crabs (obviously I don't need to worry since I am putting them out in VA).
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

There are many factors as to how long a crab will live in a pot. Water temp, oxygen supply and many other factors play into it. Try leaving it a day longer each time until you start with dead loss.

JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »

KI

you just have not looked in the right place try the refrigerated section.

JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

Sounds like a plan I will try leaving for 3 days and see how it looks
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »

KI

you just have not looked in the right place try the refrigerated section.

They refridgerate pots with bait in them?
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »

My bad...misread your initial post. I thought you were asking about pots with everything including bait in them.  Embarassed
JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:07 PM »

No problem I figured that. Thanks for your help though

Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »

I'm not sure what the current is like down you're way but you might want to thuink about some sort of weight also to keep the pot in  one spot.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »

Thanks for the help. One last question for now. How long can the crab survive inside the pot with and with out bait. Can they survive say 5 or 6 days in the pot if they have bait to eat. I would just hate to leave my pots to long and waste a bunch of crabs (obviously I don't need to worry since I am putting them out in VA).

If they get hungry, they'll just eat each other....4-5 days shouldn't be a problem if Jack is right about no crabs in Va...The more crabs per pot the less soak time...
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »

Be sure to set them someplace near a launching ramp or well use area so the thieves won't have to work too hard to find them. Shocked
JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »

Do people steal pots pretty often or do most just steal the catch. Either way that is messed up. Seems like these people need a few holes in the bottom of their boats.I guess there is no good way to prevent them from stealing them either except watch your pots constantly.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »

They steal both.   I lose a pot or 2 each year.  Sometimes maybe the pot wasn't stolen.  But 3 years ago I lost 4 in a row. They sure didn't just wash away. 

I latch my pots in a certain way so when a empty pot comes up I can usually tell if someone poached it.  One time when a pot was empty of crab, someone left a bag of potato chips in it...  As payment I guess. laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »

I know the currents through there very well. YOU WILL NEED TO WEIGHT THEM. I've dropped pots off through there in found current/tides boat traffic moved them 100 yrds and more.Be sure you have plenty of extra buoy line also. the tide rises as much as 3 feet certain times of the summer. Found that out the hard way also. hard to find a buoy 2 feet under those muddy waters that shifted 100 yrds Smiley Just remember the extra line will increase the drag on the pot as well. back to needing weight... Either way, good luck and let us know how you do..

P.S. THERE ARE NO CRABS IN VA.

If at first you don't succeed, Trot Trot again !
JRB CRABBER

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »

What do you use to weigh your pot down (don't say crab lol)?  Can i just put a lead plate in the bottom of the pot? Do you think that is a decent part of the river to put pots in Crabby?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »

What do you use to weigh your pot down (don't say crab lol)?  Can i just put a lead plate in the bottom of the pot? Do you think that is a decent part of the river to put pots in Crabby?
Rebar bent to a square and the ends are welded.  Hog ring clipped or ti wrapped on.  The are called "frames" here.  come in 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 inch bar depending on how much weight you need to hold bottom.

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »

Thats a COOL LOOKING POT........... Roll Eyes
Fishbonzs
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »

That looks like a NC pot in Va...Must had been a strong current to drag that far...3/4 rebar will stop that  Grin...Can't catch them sitting on the dock

Potomac River Crab Advisory Committee

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home