October 20, 2018, 02:32:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: waterman dies from infection  (Read 17008 times)
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2005, 03:01:27 PM »

CAUSE YOU NEVER FINISHED THE DROPS.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

New Britain, CT
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »

CAUSE YOU NEVER FINISHED THE DROPS.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

You make a good point... laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 03:09:47 PM »

Seaweed, it is very important to finish antibiotics. If any of the bacteria that caused the infection survive and become immune to the antibiotic, the bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotic and will have to be treated with a stronger antibiotic. More and more bacteria are becoming resistant to the currently available antibiotics...  skull
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2005, 03:12:16 PM »

Seaweed, it is very important to finish antibiotics. If any of the bacteria that caused the infection survive and become immune to the antibiotic, the bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotic and will have to be treated with a stronger antibiotic. More and more bacteria are becoming resistant to the currently available antibiotics...  skull

I know, you are right.  And with all this strange stuff out there, and getting stronger, I better take my meds.

Git 'r dun!
CrabstaDude
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2005, 03:24:32 PM »

meds are good mad .. i'm no doctor but can't imagine you getting pink eye again after couple yrs from your 1st episode and the reason is from not finishing all your anti-biotics. i suppose it can be but that is a long time span between your pink eye episodes. pink eye is highly contagious, maybe you're coming in contact with someone or something that has it.

mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2005, 03:26:14 PM »

my cure

first pour on the hydrogen peroxide - kills those critters on contact
let foam then pour more on

next put on triple antibotic ointment - long term kill and water sealer

next bandaid to keep ointment inplace

I like that hydrogen peroxide Grin
CrabstaDude
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 03:26:51 PM »

Well back from the Dr.'s and OUCH!  Angry He numbed it up and cut above the nail and squeezed out the pus....then jammed a wire under the nail and kept pushing on the nail to drain it....let me tell you...that
[curd] hurt! Dr. has a little concern about how much pus was built up under the nail so he cultured it and sent it to the lab for test....won't get the results back until Friday. He said he guesses this is going to put a damper on my crabbin....come on Doc....you kiddin me...that's why they make rubber gloves  Grin Grin will be out Friday with the wife and daughter....they will be the official pullers for the day. Seriously though I did get some antibiotics to take and was told to keep an eye for red streak, chills, fever, etc.

I did get some pics before and once I get home tonite I will unwrap the finger and get a shot or two  Cheesy

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes!  Smiley

RLC - hang in there and take care of that wound. don't push it. the crabs would love nothing more than putting a crabber out of commission for a few weeks..
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »

my cure

mdjohn,

I'm with you on this one. I like hydrogen peroxide too.  thumbsup
My wife says its old style medicine. Maybe that's true, but she spends alot more time at the doctor's office then I do for that stuff. Grin

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 04:45:39 PM »

my cure

Agreed. That stuff kills all the bad stuff.

Git 'r dun!
Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2005, 05:11:51 PM »

RLC - hang in there and take care of that wound. don't push it. the crabs would love nothing more than putting a crabber out of commission for a few weeks..
Yeah... one like Dave they would Love to keep down for a week or 2........

Anytime, Anyplace JO !

DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2005, 08:29:16 PM »

I posted this last year about his time...

http://www.blue-crab.org/forum/index.php/topic,2333.msg18840.html#msg18840

Doc sunny

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 08:35:35 PM »

Well look at this way we are all going to die. I hope I go with net in hand with a big ole jimmie in the net.
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2005, 09:38:33 AM »

Well look at this way we are all going to die. I hope I go with net in hand with a big ole jimmie in the net.

Me to rivercrab!!
Not that I'm in a hurry, but if you die doing what you love you can't ask for more. Wink

lellie

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »

RLC............How's the finger doin'?  Kiss
luke at uscoach
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2005, 06:27:52 PM »

Hi Folks:
Quite a few years back, after crabbing, I got a blood infection that started up the vein of my arm, as mentioned by another poster.  Went to the Doc, got meds and it subsided, but not before the skin on a couple of fingers peeled off in layers like I had leprosy.  Scary Stufff!!!!

When I get home with crabs, I steam the biggest, and kill the smaller ones for maccaroni gravy by tearing off their shells and cleaning them.  In doing so my thumbs get torn up.  So since the above mentioned episode, I wrap my 2 thumbs with a layer of electrical tape, and guess what, no cut thumbs and no more infections.

I Hope this HELPS!!!

Happy and SAFE!! Crabbin to ALL this Season.

LUKE at US COACH

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2005, 12:28:42 PM »

First I wish you luck and a speedy recovery....I have also had an infected thumb from a big 8 inch crab pinchin my thumb about 10 years ago.  I had no gloves on and he pinched me across my thumb just below the base of my thumb nail and and drew blood pretty bad.  Hurt like [Sam Hill].  Of course my brother was like stop whining pour some beer on it or wash it in the water
( 85 degree river water is not a good idea) Needless to say a within a week I had a thumb the size of a tomato.  My thumb hurt for a couple of weeks after Same thing, antibiotics and yes they drained and ripped off the nail.  Yowl...
Seaweed you may want to see the pictures, but once you lived it, you'll be like nevermind.  BTW pink eye is very contagious.  you can catch that stuff off of anything for up to day or more.  The germs live for a long time outside the host.  You can actually get rid of it and then re infect yourself later.  Take all your meds so that you have built up enough immunity to the infection and than some. 
Another thing is I am sure there is a pile of germs on those rental boats full of crab [curd] and chicken funk that is days/weeks/years old.  They could be harboring a lot of germs also.
I would reccommend wearing bio hazard spacesuits while crabbing in the future.....  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

..........CD

MD / PA Line
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2005, 01:20:50 PM »

That's a good point - those old soft wooden boats that never get washed are big bacteria sponges.

the perfect culture dish --- food - Old chicken, water and bacteria

think of that the next time you lay your sandwich on the seat.  BAD VISUAL

then when you sit on that boat and rub your butt into the seat - then go home and sit on the couch - then crud from the boat is on your pants then on your couch - yuk  Grin laugh laugh Grin

gawd, I'm glad my boat is aluminum and I wash it down
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2005, 04:42:59 PM »

Our forefathers fished in old wooden boats, filled with unrefrigerated fish guts, and they made it just fine.  While I agree that fishing boats are a haven for bacteria, I don't think hysteria over a few incidents is warranted.  mdjohn, I'm not saying your hysterical or anything, I'm just saying in general people worry about dirt and bacteria too much sometimes.  The human body is made to adapt to and fight such things.

Thats what bothers me about all the drugs we have now... yeah, they help you fight infections, but then your immune system doesn't have to do its own work.

Don't get me wrong:  wash your hands every now and then, clean up your boat.  But don't get "soft" and worry about this stuff so much.

Dr. Seaweed Smiley

Git 'r dun!
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2005, 04:59:42 PM »

I'm just saying in general people worry about dirt and bacteria too much sometimes. The human body is made to adapt to and fight such things.

Thats what bothers me about all the drugs we have now... yeah, they help you fight infections, but then your immune system doesn't have to do its own work.

Don't get me wrong: wash your hands every now and then, clean up your boat. But don't get "soft" and worry about this stuff so much.

Dr. Seaweed Smiley

DR. Seaweed ?   That sounds like a witch doctor to me. Undecided

But I have to agree, you can't be paranoid about the bacteria out there.
Just use common sense. Wink

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »

I agree,  they make too much out isolated incidents, but those boat etc are crusty.  I know my duck boat gets slimed after crabbing and if I don't scrub her out it wreaks!!!!  Not to mention becomes 1 gigantic fly trap.  My brother might wah his once in a while and it stinks.  Even in the middle of winter you still can smell it when we go duck hunt.  I guess it is a happy medium somewhere on all of this. 
later.......

.............CD

MD / PA Line

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home