June 19, 2021, 05:46:52 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most aggressive crab?  (Read 7703 times)
MDblue1984

buster, lil blue crab.. Nov 4th 2011 - present

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »

A local fisherman seems to think that blue crabs are the "most aggressive crab species in the world."

Now I will agree to that remark to an extent.. blue crabs can be very aggressive. Finding and snatching food as fast as possible and trying to run off with it to avoid other crabs. Then fighting over and sometimes killing smaller blues over food and just they're general lack of fear when cornered.

I feel however, that blue crabs only come close to being the most aggressive crab species. Mainly due to the fact they show MOST of their aggression sitting in a container or net of some sort. but I'd like to think there's something else out there that tops them.

Let's discuss Smiley
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:23 AM »

Interesting  - I remember swimming with a blue crab once and he did not like me there - he raised his claws in a defensive nature but was also in retreat.

I have little or no experience with other species crabs so have no way of comparing them.

I have heard via a grape vine there have been some crab fights held and they do seem to be a territorial creature when held in captivity and entering another into the arena from what I have been told.

This example would not give any real retreat ability unless it was done in a very large tank. Would the same thing happen in open water? How much provocation would it take?

Don't know, but my eyes are open...... Wink

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
MDblue1984

buster, lil blue crab.. Nov 4th 2011 - present

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:29:00 AM »

Interesting  - I remember swimming with a blue crab once and he did not like me there - he raised his claws in a defensive nature but was also in retreat.

I have little or no experience with other species crabs so have no way of comparing them.

I have heard via a grape vine there have been some crab fights held and they do seem to be a territorial creature when held in captivity and entering another into the arena from what I have been told.

This example would not give any real retreat ability unless it was done in a very large tank. Would the same thing happen in open water? How much provocation would it take?

Don't know, but my eyes are open...... Wink

I had two small juveniles kill each other in a 29 gallon tank, they had ample room to keep apart. the littler one had a tendency to pick fights with the bigger one. the bigger one ended up killing the littler one, but not without the little guy puncturing his carapace by his lungs. 3 days later he tried to molt. it was unsuccessful. i attribute his death to the littler crab.
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »

I once witnessed, what was described as a crab race.  The only contestants were blue crabs.  The crabs were assembled by what most would consider a shady character with obvious mob ties Roll Eyes .  After their release the crabs, rather than run the race, were more than happy to stay in one area and brawl.  Their is an amazing documentary on this race.  ()  Causing much discrepancy as to who the winner was.  This led to a massive tie after which the contestants were promptly dispatched and eaten.  I would say that the owners of those crabs were much more aggressive than the crabs themselves.  I will pay closer attention from now on so I can better answer this question in the future... Grin
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »

I only know 2 things for sure about Blue crabs. 1. they bite like [Sam Hill].2. they taste good. enough said.

CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

The only crabs that I have had dealings with alive are stone crabs, blue claw, sand crabs, Calico box crab, and hermit crabs.  Blue claw are certainly the most aggressive of that group.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
crabbyjim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

i heard the rock crabs on the west coast are evil
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »

I once witnessed, what was described as a crab race.  The only contestants were blue crabs.  The crabs were assembled by what most would consider a shady character with obvious mob ties Roll Eyes .  After their release the crabs, rather than run the race, were more than happy to stay in one area and brawl.  Their is an amazing documentary on this race.  ()  Causing much discrepancy as to who the winner was.  This led to a massive tie after which the contestants were promptly dispatched and eaten.  I would say that the owners of those crabs were much more aggressive than the crabs themselves.  I will pay closer attention from now on so I can better answer this question in the future... Grin

A very good and actuate account of an event that can only be truly appreciated by "You had to be there!".

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
CoolHandMike

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

The only other crabs I've played with are dungies and rock crabs; blues are by far the most aggressive out of those three (at least by my observations). Interesting topic!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home