October 20, 2021, 07:20:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing spots in Calabash, NC  (Read 8217 times)
Al Bike

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »

I'm going to be in the Calabash NC area over Memorial Day weekend. Looks like a lot of creeks and inlets around there. Does anyone know of a good crabbing spot?

Al
Knoxville, TN
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »

Boat or not? Trap, trotline, or hand line?
Al Bike

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:43 AM »

I'll be using a couple of traps and my wife likes to handline. No boat, will be crabbing from the bank.

Thanks,

Al
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »

Sunset Beach mainland side. Under the new bridge there is a new tiny pier that will get you into the ICW. I put pots just N and S of there. You can also use the bank there. Brought a few big ones in from there last week-- they ate the minnows being fished if they sat more than a few moments.
Ocean isle Beach-- the east side of the island has a park/small pier into the ICW. Traps from the pier. Hand line from the bank-- depending on tide try the marsh area to the right.

Bigger crabs have been coming from deeper water.

I'll be using a couple of traps and my wife likes to handline. No boat, will be crabbing from the bank.

Thanks,

Al

dantheman2929

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:18 AM »

I also have noticed when crabbing from the piers down there that crabbing at night was best. I crabbed 2 days there with a total of 15 keepers, then i decided to go out and crab early one morning since the wife had plans for the family that day. I caught 3 1/2 doz in just 2 hrs with 4 traps and the smallest was 6" but just as the sun popped up over the horizon i caught nothing but throw backs. This was further south on Topsail Island and in june though. Not sure what the pattern will be a little further north and with the water being a little cooler this time of year...... Hope this helps, let us know how you did!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:18:50 AM by dantheman2929 » Logged

Al Bike

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

Thanks so much for the information. I'll let you know how it went.

Al
Al Bike

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

Sunset Beach mainland side. Under the new bridge there is a new tiny pier that will get you into the ICW

How did you access the area and where did you park? Looked at Google Earth and the area and it's not plain where to do this. The Twin Lakes Seafood parking lot is nearby. The area under the bridge looked to be a sand parking area for big rigs.

Al
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »

Across from Twin Lakes. A new launch is being built and fishing platform is complete. I do not park-- but live in the area and fish/crab by boat.

How did you access the area and where did you park? Looked at Google Earth and the area and it's not plain where to do this. The Twin Lakes Seafood parking lot is nearby. The area under the bridge looked to be a sand parking area for big rigs.

Al
Al Bike

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »

We are driving up on Friday to stay the long weekend. Thought about putting a trap to soak overnight Friday and check on Sat. morning. Would it go unmolested in the area?

Thanks
Al
PAcrabman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

Hey Al I have tried in all the spots mentioned and you will catch some crab.  If you want to drive a few mins up the coast to Holden beach I can tell you a spot to hit on the backwater up that way.  Also if you go across the border into SC there is a placed called Vareen Gardens that has some marsh walks with a few spots you can try although its hit or miss with that place.  Good luck

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home