November 14, 2018, 02:34:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any soft crab mortality this week in flow through systems?  (Read 5002 times)
e_schott

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

With the widespread low oxygen levels in the upper bay, has anyone had big die offs of crabs in their flow through systems?
I took a reading of essentially ZERO oxygen in a creek near me on the weekend.
You can reply to me directly if you don't feel like telling the whole world about it.
I will retain information for research only and will not put it out without specific notification of respondents.
The information would carry just geographic location, not crabber or address info.
-Eric Schott
Univ of MD Center for Environmental Science
Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology
Baltimore
[email protected]
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

Eric,
Wouldn't the system itself provide some oxygen, even in depleated water?

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »

Eric,
Wouldn't the system itself provide some oxygen, even in depleated water?
I was thinking about that yesterday while working the floats.  I have a Mag Drive pump running temporarily and the discharge hose is just laying in the tank instead of going thru the spray head.  Was quite a bit of surface action so I think that would be ok.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:38:27 PM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
ESchott

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »

Both correct that the system can provide some oxygen, but in some cases there just may not be enough air mixed with the water to get O2 levels up to where the crabs need it.
I took a reading in a nearby creek that gave me a reading of almost zero oxygen.
It only climbed to about 1/3 of the oxygen level needed to sustain life in the shedding tank, even though it was sprayed from a 2 inch line above the tank.
Obviously the proof is in the results: if your crabbies are not dying, then the water's OK.
Anyway, glad to hear that things may be OK elsewhere. 
Oh, one last thought. Oxygen levels may be worse at night or early morning, because the algae in the water are not producing oxygen at overnight.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

Eric,
I didnt say things were alright here, infact is a darn shame when you have crabs climbing out of the water to breathe!

Hope you guys are doing something about it!

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

e_schott

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »

It IS a shame. I am also hearing about crabbers pulling up pots with dead crabs in them as a result of dead zone water moving into the area after they were trapped. 
As you could guess, the solution is difficult, because the cause is so vast. Too many nutrients from a lot of sources. That's not saying it's impossible to fix, but it will take a lot of cooperation in a lot of places.
To get a look at the scale of the dead zones in near real time, see DNR's website on bay conditions.
http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/eyesonthebay/currentconditions.cfm
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »

We all know what the cause is, politicians tell the news to say its from lawn fertilizers and farm run off, and the 2.6 billion gallons of raw sewage getting dumped in the river every other week is of no harm at all.

Every time there's a sewage spill, someone should be getting sued!!

in·teg·ri·ty   
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »

I tell ya, what this place needs is Erin Brockovich, with all the industries pumping high toxins into our air and water, rivers and creeks so dirty and contaminated fish can't even live, if the water gets into an open sore, you'll likely lose that finger. Cancer rates among the highest in the nation.

in·teg·ri·ty   
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:11:12 AM »

I was thinking about that yesterday while working the floats.  I have a Mag Drive pump running temporarily and the discharge hose is just laying in the tank instead of going thru the spray head.  Was quite a bit of surface action so I think that would be ok.
Guess I was wrong.... All my peelers were dead yesterday. Sad  There also was a perch floating belly up gasping for air I guess. Undecided

e_schott

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Sorry to hear that and I hope it does not happen again.
Did you have bad smelling water in the creek?  When the oxygen gets really low and the water gets mixed up from the bottom you can get sulfur compounds that would be toxic. You would smell that.
Send me a message offline if you'd be willing to discuss more about the water or system.

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

Guess I was wrong.... All my peelers were dead yesterday. Sad  There also was a perch floating belly up gasping for air I guess. Undecided

Crank the water up...........More water flow on hot dayz is cooler water..............And only put 300 peelers in the tank... Wink   Also the longer the "DROP" of the water the more oxygen it will create...My Water drops about 18"....
Double-D Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »

my lil mating pair is residing nicely in a/c
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »

my lil mating pair is residing nicely in a/c

Now the Dickens ya say........................................... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh I see you fish also Wink

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »

Crank the water up...........More water flow on hot dayz is cooler water..............And only put 300 peelers in the tank... Wink   Also the longer the "DROP" of the water the more oxygen it will create...My Water drops about 18"....
I turned the sump pump on... Wink Grin  Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home