August 16, 2018, 01:52:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: license question  (Read 3655 times)
KDOG

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »

I am a crabber in MD with a consalidated sport license for my boat. When on vacation 4 th of July will my license in MD be all I need for VA due to reciprocity? Thanks
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »

YES
FROM HERE
http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/recfishh&l_licensing.shtm

Reciprocal Recreational Saltwater Fishing Licenses:

Chesapeake Bay and Seaside - Anglers with saltwater licenses from either Virginia or Maryland may fish in any portion of the Chesapeake Bay, or any of the saltwater reaches of its tributary rivers, as well as seaside bays and creeks and the Atlantic Ocean where a Virginia saltwater license is required. Virginia licenses honored include: 1) individual annual licenses; 2) individual temporary licenses; 3) private boat licenses covering all persons fishing on the boat; 4) annual licenses for charter boats, headboats, and partyboats; and 5) annual licenses for rental boats.

Note:  MD licensees may fish in VA tidal waters as described above without additional license, but must register in the new VA Fisherman Identification Program (FIP) beginning January 1, 2011.  Click on following link for more information, www.mrc.virginia.gov/FIP.

THE WORD FROM "THE MAN"
http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/Reciprocity_Agreement_2011.pdf
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHING
KDOG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »

Your the man crab Guy thank you. I may be asking for some spots as time grows closer if thats OK? We are staying in sandbridge on the back bay area. Thanks again for your work on this.
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »

Cool
gmubeach

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »

Call them? I think its only covered for fishing? I have two license one for crabbing MD and one for crabbing VA? Not sure though..... I don't think they recognize the crabbing part of it? Really not sure...

I have a VA sport salt fishing licenses and I get stopped all the time in MD and have to have them call their mangers!

Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »

I can not speak for MD rules.  In Virginia state code allows one to use a dip net, hand lines, and two crab pots to catch up to one Bu of crabs per day.  The limit is per vessel if fishing from a vessel.  Crab Traps, i.e. something that a crab can enter and exit at will until closed, are considered to be the same as hand lines with no limitations.

If you want to use a trot line you have to have a license. 

If you want to use more than two crab pots per person you can get a license for up to 5 crab pots.

There are restrictions regarding setting crab pots in marked channels (all Rudee inlet is considered a channel) and in the deep water sanctuary which amounts to most all of the main stem of the bay more than 30 feet deep, and the ocean waters off of Virginia Beach.  The lower bay sanctuary  which basically goes from Ocean View Pier, to Thimbal Shoals Light to Cape Charles (the cape not the town), to Cape Henry and back to Ocean View Pier is closed during the summer to commercial crabbing but not recreational crabbing.

The MD/VA/PRFC reciprocity agreement only talks about fishing licenses and fishing.  Nothing in it talks about crabbing licenses.  For a full text of the agreement click on the link provided below.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/Reciprocity_Agreement_2011.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home