October 17, 2019, 07:43:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PA crabber needs advice  (Read 1599 times)
pa crabber

« on: August 07, 2003, 07:20:32 PM »

I am from Pa (originally from Baltimore county where i lived for 30 years) and i am getting the fever to do some crabbing. Haven't been out in the past few years and i was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction. How is the wye river doing? Millers island? I am headed to salisbury in about a week, is there any hot spots in that area? All help is appreciated. Thanks! CRAB ON
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 08:19:53 PM »

Pacrabber, if you've read some of the posts on this forum you will realize that crabbin' in the middle part of the bay turned on late and it still ain't what it should be. The northern part of the bay, with very few exceptions, has not turned on at all.  Too much fresh water, with salinity levels well below normal.  Being from Balt. Co., you probably know where Crab Alley is.
You might rent a boat at the Crab Alley Marina and give it a go.  Crab Alley is in the east bay, south of Kent Island, and the crabs appear to be showing up in increasing numbers here although it's hit or miss on some days.  If you're going to Salisbury, continue on south, where the crabbin' appears to be better.  Eastern shore of Virgina might have some boat rental places == maybe Jack1747 can point some out for you, as he's a commercial waterman operating in this area.
Read the CRAB NEWS and CONSERVATION forums at the top of the homepage and you'll get some idea of what we're up against here.  As the newsguy pointed out on the morning news yesterday, the Chesapeake Bay is in critical condition and something needs to be done soon to save it.

Crabpop  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 08:21:06 PM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 09:25:39 AM »

The only boat rentals in Accomack cty that I know of are sea side.  My property is zoned as a marina  Roll Eyes  

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
livenlrnat40

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 09:01:27 PM »

My opinion,,,,crabbed in  nj for years..since a kid. From Pa, also...tried MD...at suggestion of this forum...Nj crabs were same size a month before we went to MD...stick to Barnegate, nj or Dividing Creek, nj. We had more fun there on boat than on Chesapeake
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 01:08:52 PM »

Good point, livenlrnat40.  As a matter of fact, my son and I are gonna load up the boat and head for the coast -- either back bay Ocean City, MD or Indian River, DE -- tomorrow morning. Gonna take Monday off, so will have one day without the crowds.  Last couple trips out on the Chespeake were depressing, to say the least.  Kinda like havin' a real good friend who's sick and bedridden.  Ya hope for the best, but ya just don't know.  The Chesapeake can be a great place to crab and fish, but I'm afraid that, with what's goin' on this year, it's gonna be a long, long time for recovery.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home