May 19, 2022, 08:59:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLORIDA CRABS  (Read 29858 times)
crabdoc

Make a kid happy. Take him or her crabbing!

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2005, 12:53:25 AM »

Ever wonder why crabs and crabbing are not an industry in Florida? Well, they just can not compare in any way with Maryland crabs!
They do not know how to season and cook them. Usually some sort of garlic seasoning! ( they put Old Bay on their hamburgers and french fries!)

They do not know how to pick them.

You will never ever see a large and heavy Wye River "mumbo" crab.

The few times I have ever seen anyone crabbing, they were walking along the shallows along the shoreline scooping them up with nets. I have never seen anyone crabbing with a trot line, crab traps, or handlines.

At the rare crab house, they hold them in concrete tanks with running water.

The crabs are usually taken from inland creeks in brown, brackish water and they have an off-taste, probably from the tannins in the water from the mango swamps. They will never give you a straight answer as to where they were actually caught.

The last time I bought live crabs in Florida, it was from a dirty and dingy crab house on US-1. The unshaven sales person reeked of alcohol. As he was picking them out with his bare hands, one of the crabs clamped down on his finger, He shook it off and wrapped a dirty towel around his hand. When I got them home and layed everything out to cook them, I opened the box and guess what I found? You guessed it, a bloody rag on top of the crabs! Haven't they ever heard of Hepatitis B, for Lord's sake! Often deadly! Nedless to say, I notified the Department of Health in Tallahassee and demanded an investigation and a full report. Fat chance of any action!

I must admit, however, that they do have good shrimp in the waters of Florida. In the Intracoastal Waterway, the Gulf and along the Atlantic ocean. Recreational shrimpers may take a 5 gallon container of shrimp. They are caught in seines at night, while attracting them with searchlights.
You will see many commercial shrimp boats at night along the Atlantic with their powerful searchlights off the front of the boat as the slowly move along. Look for them from your airliner while preparing for landing.

If you are ever in Florida when the Royal Red (or Ruby Red) shrimp are in the markets, you are in for a real treat. They are caught up near Jacksonville at certain times of the year and they taste just like lobster, only more tender and tasty. They say the best shrimp are from Central America. Ecuador, perhaps.

Take time to appreciate, enjoy and protect the wonderful bounty of the Chesapeake Bay. There is no other place like it in the world!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 05:05:03 AM »

THANKS for the info and WELCOME aboard. In fact I a heading to FLA. tomorrow. I'll be near ORLANDO and PACE.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:21:24 AM »

Welcome to the board Dr. Bill. You sound like you got the blues for some good blues... Undecided
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »

I moved up from Sunny FL.  Your right.  Not too many people bother with the blue crabs.  The only crabs I ever caught were stone crabs and spider crabs.  Also had other delicious crustaceans to catch like shrimp and lobsters.  Man do I miss lobster sportsmans weekend. I think crabs taste better though.  Ill take a maryland crab cake over a florida lobster tail any day.  But thats just me.   
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 08:52:25 AM »

Take time to appreciate, enjoy and protect the wonderful bounty of the Chesapeake Bay. There is no other place like it in the world!

Hopefully, with the help of this board, people will realize how rare the Chesapeake Bay is and

be more aware of the impact they have on it.   Wink

crabdoc

Make a kid happy. Take him or her crabbing!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 12:52:20 PM »

Thanks for the WELCOME ABOARD, tattoo.
See what you can do about transplanting some of those tasty Florida stone crabs to the Chesapeake for the winter season!
ChiefCrab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

How funny this is! I run a crab house in Florida and the suppliers I use ship over 4000 lbs. of crabs everyday to Maryland crab houses. I have to ship mine in from N.O. because the local suppliers are committed to Md. crabhouses since they pay higher prices. The independent guys around here are unreliable and only seem to go crabbing when they need rent money.

I've been in this business for 12 years and I can assure you any crabhouse in MD. open year round are getting their crabs from Florida/Georgia or the gulf coast and not the Chesapeake.
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »

ChiefCrab,    That's a known fact in MD.      They also have a closed season durning the winter months, but thanks for the info. Wink

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »

That's why we catch our own. Wink Cool Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 08:48:02 PM »

We got to make sure that y'all get some good crabs to eat up there that don't taste like run off from PA and NY. Just doing our part to help  Wink

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Gregacy

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 03:03:53 AM »

If it makes you feel any batter I went out yesterday and caught tonights dinner.... in good ole' Fort Pierce, Florida.
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »

Aw, yeah... These Florida crabs are awful (munch, munch, munch)  Taste horrible (slurp) Let's see, I catch mine (crunch, slurp) or $1.99 a pound you pick 'em (crack, slurp), fresh Jumbo lump is $12.00 a pound (munch, munch),$15.00 a doz steamed in a restaurant (slurp) - if you can find 'em 'cause we ship thousands of pounds of them up north to the yankees (they think they're eating Chesapeake crabs).  Let's see, only 12 more months of crabbing down here - darn!

Munch, munch, munch,
Doc sunny

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »

Aw, yeah... These Florida crabs are awful (munch, munch, munch)  Taste horrible (slurp) Let's see, I catch mine (crunch, slurp) or $1.99 a pound you pick 'em (crack, slurp), fresh Jumbo lump is $12.00 a pound (munch, munch),$15.00 a doz steamed in a restaurant (slurp) - if you can find 'em 'cause we ship thousands of pounds of them up north to the yankees (they think they're eating Chesapeake crabs).  Let's see, only 12 more months of crabbing down here - darn!

Munch, munch, munch,
Doc sunny
Angry Angry Angry check Da Pinhead list....them last statements aint a bit funny  Angry..and you made da list... Angry Grin Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:39 AM »

KC -

Just as long as I don't make your short list, I'm OK!

Doc sunny

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
Gregacy

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 11:54:44 AM »

I'm on every sheeot list so don't feel bad Doc.

Munch munch munch.. More indian river crabs please! I'll take those St. Johns river crabs too.

Ray R.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »

Gee !  These "Tampa Bay" crabs are good too ! Munch munch munch  sombrero

SMILE .. BE .. HAPPY .. GO .. CRABBING .. AND .. THINK .. OF .. ME ..!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »

Munch Munch Munch these big bend crabs coming out of the most pristine and unpolluted waters we have are pretty good too Munch Munch Munch Now if i didn't have to duck hunt so much in the winter i could crab more  Wink Grin

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
ChiefCrab

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

It's amazing to me how many people in Maryland (I used to live there myself) who think the crabs they are loving to eat come from the Chesapeake. Even when I lived there in the mid 80's I knew they were coming from the south, because I asked the owners.

Crab houses up there are now selling #1  jumbos for $80 per dozen because they can get it. I wish I could get that for my crabs...........retirement would be close at hand.

Regards,
Chiefcrab
DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 07:32:13 PM »

(Burp - pass me another $8.00 dozen, will ya?) Where are you located, ChiefCrab? (Yeah, these are lousy Florida crabs - boy, I wish I was eating those Delaware river crabs... 89 octane!)

You know, you can always tell if you are eating Florida crabs, you just turn one over and look real close at the wide part of the apron... if it says "Hecho en Florido" in small print, then you're eating a Florida crab - otherwise it's from the Chesapeake- trust me!  I know - KC told me so!

Doc sunny
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:37:44 PM by DocSmith » Logged

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »

It's amazing to me how many people in Maryland (I used to live there myself) who think the crabs they are loving to eat come from the Chesapeake. Even when I lived there in the mid 80's I knew they were coming from the south, because I asked the owners.

Crab houses up there are now selling #1  jumbos for $80 per dozen because they can get it. I wish I could get that for my crabs...........retirement would be close at hand.

Regards,
Chiefcrab
ChiefCrab,    You keep saying how many people from MD don't know that the crabs are shipped in.... Huh    Were you aware that they were shipped to MD when You lived here before the Mid eighties?      For over 30 years many Crab Houses have advertised Out of State crabs. Wink    The Sun Paper and TV Stations often run stories about crabs and crabmeat being shipped to MD.....     It's a well known fact that crabmeat gets shipped from the other side of the world..

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home