November 17, 2018, 11:06:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dividing creek crabbing regulations ???  (Read 13678 times)
whaler

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

hello everyone
i am a avid crabber of sea isle city , ludlum bay. new jersey and chester river in Maryland .Friday i decided to try dividing creek in cumberland  co , new jersey . i put my boat in at dividing creek boat rentals. and went about my way down the creek setting my  12  collapsable [ foxy mate ] crab traps with floats attached to each one . Maryland style. using chicken necks . . after a while the owner of the boat rental came down the water way on a skiff and informed me in a gentleman manner  that what i was doing was illegal and was considered commercial crabbing . he said  my traps were not being attended . i have went through all the new jersey regulations and many threads here on the forum and can not find anything on not being able to use collapsable traps with floats . i looked up what is unattended , what a commercial trap is and size etc . can someone set me straight. i do not want to have a bad day on the water in the future .
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »

I believe I have seen somewhere on here that crab pots  are not allowed in that creek. However, regular traps, even if unattended, should be legal and free-game.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »

yeah whats the definition of tending them ? and its unlimited traps as far as i know.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:52:02 PM by flounderpounder » Logged

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
lbicrablooker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

no maryland style pots allowed in dividing creek but you can set unlimited traps but you have to be tending to them, cant set em and leave then overnight
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

The foxy mate one looks like a regular box trap to me, it would be allowed in DC.

They are telling this guy he can't drop a trap and move away to another spot. I don't know if that is the case or not, I know elsewhere in the state it is not an issue.

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »

The foxy mate one looks like a regular box trap to me, it would be allowed in DC.

They are telling this guy he can't drop a trap and move away to another spot. I don't know if that is the case or not, I know elsewhere in the state it is not an issue.
Never seen a crabbing report from DC.. Just saying laugh I wonder if you can catch crabs in DC ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:10:36 AM by crabbywaters » Logged

I wish i was a crab.
bassinblank

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:40:54 AM »

he does not want people crabbing like that he feels its unfair to his rental customers it is 100% legal to crab traps with floats
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Willicrab Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 05:56:52 AM »

The Dividing Creek Boat Rental guy does not own the creeks,  and has no legal authority on them.  You were crabbing legally.  Lots of folks crab the way you do there.   There were people crabbing using your method just last week when I was there.  I also love the Sea Isle area for crabbing and fishing.          williecrab
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:58:41 AM by CaptWilliecrab » Logged
salt hay

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »

Once your on the water, you are on the public property. What you were doing was fine as long as you didn't  motor to some other part of the marsh and leave your traps unattended for hours.  I'd politely ignore his advice and launch somewhere else. Plenty of serviceable ramps close by. (like hansey creek rd.)
tedbo

Raised in Johnson's Ditch 39.248045,-75.131587

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »

Three issues are being discussed in this thread, and, as I know it, the following applies:

1.  Commerical crabbing is not permitted in this area. (There is eel potting ongoing)

2. Maryland style pots licensed on a non-commerical license can be used if "attached to a pier or shore structure", the problem is you won't find those items in the area to attach to, so you can't just drop them off on your way out.

3.  Running rec. traps on floats is allowed, no different than the rest of the state. 

I feel sorry for the man who doesn't drink.  When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's gonna feel all day! LBJ

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

he does not want people crabbing like that he feels its unfair to his rental customers it is 100% legal to crab traps with floats

Agreed and both counts.   

He shouldn't be misleading people as to the state's regulations.   

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »

Never seen a crabbing report from DC.. Just saying laugh I wonder if you can catch crabs in DC ?

DC = Dividing Creek. Lots of folks crab there.
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »

It's definitely OK to run your traps with floats in the creek.  I've been there a couple of times over the past few years and the marine police (they are always around on DC) came by several times and didn't look twice at me.  I did however get pulled over a few years back because I had a commercial pot on board though not in use along with 25 topless traps.  I was given a warning and about the regulations for the commercial trap only,  the others are just fine.   One thing I do try to do there though is hit parts of Dividing creek that aren't being worked by the rental boats.  There's a lot of great spots outside of the rentals range that are also outside of the ripping currents of DC that will produce better.  Also, look into Hansey Creek ramp.  They just re did it, it's a great ramp and puts you into a whole new world of crabbing. And better yet, it's FREE!   
Lady Di

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »

I do most of my crabbing in DC & have seen folks using traps w/floats.  Some of them drop them in a line & pull/check them in sequence. No problems - they are tending their traps.  Then there are others that put them in multiple areas of the creek sometimes blocking access to side creeks or ditches.  Those traps are basically unattended for quite a bit of time.  I have my own boat & find it a bit frustrating to motor around a bend & find unattended float traps spread 1/2 way across the width of the creek.  I would not be surprised if the people in rentals are complaining to the owner.  If everyone using float traps would do it responsibly the creek will be a happy place for all....or at least most!
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »

Absolutely neighbor...Dublin here  Grin

Skiff
Lifetime Member

The shanty

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »

Where has to be miles of creek there (at least at high tide Grin)  I try to stay away from the rental place  I might hit maple pond during the week, But there is so many places to crab Why would anyone crab by someone else,   I have crabbed there twice this year both times we were on the water about 4 hours never saw another crabber

Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »

Then there are others that put them in multiple areas of the creek sometimes blocking access to side creeks or ditches.  Those traps are basically unattended for quite a bit of time.  I have my own boat & find it a bit frustrating to motor around a bend & find unattended float traps spread 1/2 way across the width of the creek.  I would not be surprised if the people in rentals are complaining to the owner. 

Your definition and description  of 'basically unattended' still qualifies as attended.   As long as they are periodically checking them, they are attended.   Unattended would be to leave the water while the traps are still in place.   While "scattershot" trap layouts  may be annoying and troublesome for other crabbers because they are in the way, it's not illegal and the owner of the rental place shouldn't be communicating his own incorrect interpretation of the law.   

10th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 21-22, 2019
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

I run 30 traps there , never had a problem . i set them  all within My sight and never leavethem unattended .

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

Item #2 seems to be incomplete, based on my reading of the regulations. There is mention of "attached to a pier or shore structure", but that appears to be only in reference to an exception regarding man-made lagoons and waters off-limits to commercial crabbing. Here is the section in full (bolding and italics are mine, for emphasis):
PLACEMENT AND MARKING OF POT AND TROT LINES
Each crab pot shall be clearly and visibly marked with a buoy, stake or permanent identification tag bearing the
license number of the owner. All crab pot buoys shall be marked with fluorescent or reflective paint, tape or
other reflective material or reflectors. Floating line shall not be used on any crab pot or crab pot buoys. Each
trotline shall be marked at both ends with a clearly visible stake or buoy.
No pot shall be placed in a creek, ditch, or tributary less than 50 feet wide at mean low water unless approved by
the Division. No pot shall be placed in any man-made lagoon or in any marked or charted channel or in any
area designated by the Division as off limits for the commercial catching of crabs except that recreational
licensed crab pots may be fastened to a pier or other shore connected structure by a line no longer than twice the
depth of the water at the point
At no time shall any pot or trot line be placed in a manner that obstructs or
impedes navigation.

2. Maryland style pots licensed on a non-commerical license can be used if "attached to a pier or shore structure", the problem is you won't find those items in the area to attach to, so you can't just drop them off on your way out.
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

Dividing Creek is one of those waters that's off limits.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home