December 14, 2019, 08:55:18 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grilled Crabs  (Read 38767 times)
adam22

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »

Alright, I've cooked crabs on the grill the past few catches so I have a pretty consistent result now. This isn't an overly complicated recipe and is pretty similar to one I saw on here, but I'm going to post it just as a reference since I had some trouble coming up with a clear method of grilling blue crabs. I am also interested to see if anyone has any suggestions or improvements, since I am not an experienced cook.

What you'll need:
~Grill (I used propane, easier for me to regulate the heat)
~Small pot
~Cooking Brush
~Tongs
~Tin Foil
~Pan/Bowl

Ingredients:
~Old Bay (or seasoning of your choice)
~Garlic cloves
~Salted Butter
~Crushed Red Pepper
~Salt/Pepper
~Butter flavored Pam

**This recipe assumes you cleaned before cooking**

Cooking Instructions:

Garlic Butter Prep:
~On your stove or side burner, melt two sticks of salted butter with a little bit of salt/pepper and a couple of cloves of garlic, as well as a small amount of crushed red pepper. Add a generous amount of Old Bay. The Old Bay will settle at the bottom, and this is a good thing. When you get this ready, stick a brush in the mixture and put it in a convenient spot near your grill.

Grill Steps:
~Open up your grill and place a double layer of aluminum foil on one of the racks.
~Spray a generous amount of Pam (I use generic stuff) on to the foil
~Place crabs on the foil, and make sure they are not hanging off of the foil and are not too close together. I usually put about 8 crabs on one rack.
~Go ahead and fire up the grill if you haven't already. I keep my grill around 150 degrees F.
~Take the butter mixture and dip the brush into it. You're not really interested in getting butter all over the place, but get some of that old bay off the bottom and then paint inside the meat cavity of the crab. I also make sure to cover the top part of the body, but I don't bother getting the legs or the bottom side of the crab.
~Cook for about six minutes, but this time will depend on your heat and number of crabs cooking. Keep the lid closed, and make sure you are not getting a lot of butter down into the bottom of the grill (will flame up).
~When the crabs are mostly orange with a hint of blue in the claws/legs, go ahead and flip them over, and if necessary, rotate. You will see which crabs are cooking faster, so just switch places with the ones that are cooking slower. Close the lid and let the crabs cook.
~Wait about another six minutes, and then take a look at the crabs. They should be orange/white on the bottom side, and when you flip them, the legs should no longer be blue (maybe a very slight color, but no more than that). Flip them so the top side is facing upward, and give one more light coating of old bay/butter mixture in the meat cavity. Close the lid and let cook for another minute or two.
~The final result will not be charred or overly crispy, but should be a bright orange with slight charring on the tips of the small legs. Take the crabs out and put them in a bowl. I sprinkle Old Bay seasoning on the crabs when I put them in the bowl.

If this is done correctly, the meat will be firm and should not stick to the legs. If it is sticking, you are cooking too long or maybe have the heat too high. If it is mushy, you could probably stand to cook them for another minute or two. The crabs should be somewhat sweet with a hint of garlic taste, while being fairly moist and buttery. I like crabs cold, but these are best served hot and juciy. Fridge is okay, but they don't seem to be as good as when they are cooked other ways, for whatever reason.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »

Thems looks like female crabs ther??? Huh

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »

That on on top is huge....
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

I made all the females first, there was not many. It is legal to keep females 4.5" or bigger in the state of New Jersey. Please keep the off-topic stuff to a different thread. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:39:14 PM by adam22 » Logged
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »

They should also apply that rule to Green Heads................... Got to be some good loins in them boys!

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

I made all the females first, there was not many. It is legal to keep females 4.5" or bigger in the state of New Jersey. Please keep the off-topic stuff to a different thread. Thanks.

Do they rent boats in Jersey ?

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »

They look good.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »

I use a simpler method for my grilled crabs.  In the microwave, I melt a couple of tablespoons of butter with a tablespoon of minced garlic and enough cayenne pepper to turn the liquid a orange color. (It takes about 20 seconds.)  I sprinkle a little Tony Chachere's seasoning on the cleaned crabs.  I light the grill and place a single layer of foil down.  I put the crabs in a single layer and then spread the butter sauce over them, with a generous amount in the body cavity.  No need to flip them, they cook in about 20 minutes.  I may add a little sauce after ten minutes, but only if I have left over sauce.  The crabs are done when there is no blue left in the claws.

I've only been grilling crabs since last December, but I grill them about once a week, so I've had time to perfect the method to my taste.  Originally, I would put butter on the bottom of the shell thinking that I needed it to keep the crabs from sticking to the grill, but I've found that it is not needed.  The crabs don't stick unless you burn them.  Only did that once and only a couple of the crabs over a flair up.  

Left overs can be reheated on the grill by placing a little butter in the cavity and grilling them on foil for about ten minutes.  My wife reheats them in the oven.  She had quit eating crabs about a year ago, but a couple of weeks ago I caught some good sized crabs and she decided to taste the grilled crabs for the first time.  Now shes eating more crabs than me. 

It's all a matter of taste.  I like my crabs hot, so I use more pepper than I would if I were cooking for somebody else.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:48:22 PM by CraigFos » Logged

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »

I made all the females first, there was not many. It is legal to keep females 4.5" or bigger in the state of New Jersey. Please keep the off-topic stuff to a different thread. Thanks. ]

Well he sure showed you guys!  Guess you've really been "SERVED".   laugh laugh laugh

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:25:27 PM by CrabShack » Logged

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »

I wonder how it would work if ya took a baseter needle and injected em right before ya steamed em. CBC is not my idea of eatin crabs - not sayin u is wong - just not what I prefer - too each his own Wink

I like the spices idea!

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »

DP,

For 54 years I pretty much only ate clean after you cook crabs.  I had grilled crabs one time made by an ex-father in law and had BBQ crabs a couple times. (Not sure why they call them BBQ crabs because they are fried, but that's another story.)

I liked the grilled crabs the ex-father in law made so may years ago and last December I decided to give it a try.  Living in Texas, we BBQ or grill things all the time.  I guess I just like the smoked flavor that grilling adds.  You get that smoked flavor in the crabs.  If you haven't tried it you should do it at least once.  It's also easier picking the crabs at the table since half the work is done before cooking.  I'm also getting better at cleaning the uncooked crabs.  I cleaned 20 crabs yesterday in less than 10 minutes. 

Craig
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »

DP,

For 54 years I pretty much only ate clean after you cook crabs.  I had grilled crabs one time made by an ex-father in law and had BBQ crabs a couple times. (Not sure why they call them BBQ crabs because they are fried, but that's another story.)

I liked the grilled crabs the ex-father in law made so may years ago and last December I decided to give it a try.  Living in Texas, we BBQ or grill things all the time.  I guess I just like the smoked flavor that grilling adds.  You get that smoked flavor in the crabs.  If you haven't tried it you should do it at least once.  It's also easier picking the crabs at the table since half the work is done before cooking.  I'm also getting better at cleaning the uncooked crabs.  I cleaned 20 crabs yesterday in less than 10 minutes.  

Hey again if ya like it do it as long as ya ain't hurting anyone else - I did try a few - I can say I can eat em - but prefer the way I have been acclimated to since birth - again I am not downing ya for any reason. I've tried CBC - Boiled and of course Steamed as caught.

My second favorite to Steamed as caught is Boiled - the stuff you boil with them makes it happen along wiht sucking off the juice from the back shell that in its' self is awesome - and I have tried fired garlic crabs prepared by an Asian friend of mine - they were done CBC and very tasty this was way back when we could keep females and all she wanted was females.

Again just do what pleases you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:14:18 AM by Dreampixels » Logged

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »

beatnik2 S,B,Eating..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:34:49 AM by crabbywaters » Logged

I wish i was a crab.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »

Guess I've been told. Just saw your from MD and I ain't never heard of a NI crab as big as some of those on your pan... Oh you enjoy your crabs and your day. I was just making an observation. Peace out homie

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »

I'm from New Jersey and the catch was from the Maurice River. Little confused as to why there is discussion about females and CBC in a recipe thread, and I do not appreciate it. These topics can be discussed elsewhere on the forums.

Those look good CraigFos. How many did you put on the grill at once? I think I'm gonna add some cayenne pepper and try it like that next time.

CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »

There are 20 on the grill.  It was a tight squeeze, but they made it.

Craig
adam22

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

There are 20 on the grill.  It was a tight squeeze, but they made it.

Thanks. Will give it a go with some of your adjustments and let you know how I make out.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »

They do look tasty..

I wish i was a crab.
FenwayRick

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

I've been flirting with the idea of grilling a few crabs but have yet to. I think my next catch I'll just do it and surprise everyone!!! Thanks for the recipes.
Bottom Knocker

Never Met a Crab I Didn't Like

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »

Havent tried but sounds good I had baked garlic crabs a few years ago (in FL) they were great.

We use a long handle grill basket to grill softshells and they come out excellent.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home