June 29, 2022, 08:01:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Island Crab Trap Question  (Read 1398 times)
A Large Farva

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

Hey everyone hoping someone can clear this up for me, since in the past I've only crabbed from shore I have no idea the regulations on this subject. Are there are any rules or permits needed to leave a crab trap out in the water overnight? Obviously I'm not talking about the four door pull up kind but the one where they can enter/not exit. I've been wanting to do this for while but since I don't know the legality of it I have yet to do so.

I don't live right on the water so it's not like I'd be hanging it from my bulk head, I'm talking about just tying it to a buoy in a non heavy traffic area for the night and retrieving it in the morning. I have access to a boat to use anytime. Any info or tips would be well appreciated.

Oh and I forgot to add I would be talking about the Oceanside area of long island.

Farva.

Edit: Complete newb didn't notice the rules and regulations sub-forum... D'oh apologies.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:10:02 PM by A Large Farva » Logged
LongIsland23

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »

I live on a lagoon in nassau and usually kayak out to the middle of it or out in the bay and drop them overnight.  There's also a bay constable station in my lagoon and I asked one of them about it at the beggining of the season.  He said that it's fine.  Just to avoid boating lanes.  I see people do it all the time out in the bay.  Unless you know the area well....people will usually take your crabs though.  I've even had my traps stolen before.  You might be better off tying it to the boat (if it's docked somewhere).  Sometimes I won't use buoys and just attach them to No Wake signs so people can't tell they're there.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:28:40 PM by LongIsland23 » Logged

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home