January 25, 2020, 05:18:53 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing near Oyster Creek?  (Read 1421 times)
alvargo

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »

I'm thinking of launching at sands point in Oyster Creek to try some crabbing. I'd appreciate some help with locations in that area. Should I try in the creek or outside in the bay? We did pretty well out of Trixie's last week 30 BIG crabs. Any suggestions would be a big help. Will be fishing out of a 20 ft. center console..

Thanks,

Al
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

Just caught your post. I went over and checked that ramp out when visiting a friend in Forked River a couple of weeks back.  There have been no reports from that area. The place had only a few boats/trailers on a Saturday afternoon so not crowded. I had read in a previous post that there were a lot of commercial traps in the area but I did not see any markers from the launch ramp on 7/14 when I was there. Could be somewhere else though. Flies are said to be a problem in the area due to all the marshes but again, on the 14th, I did not meet up with a greenhead in the 15 minutes that I was there.

I had fished just upstream from that in May of 2011 and observed BC shells and claws all over in the shallows. One guy had a lot of traps and he was running around getting one here and there. The cops chased us out. Seems the nuke people own that land and banned access to it.  Marknut, a member here, used to post good reports from there but I haven't seen any lately.

Good luck if you try, I'm thinking about it myself. I gotta find out the fly status, I can take no crabs, but fighting those bastages for a day is just too much anymore.
olclamman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »

from the ramp   try  going  toward  rt 9   i think the  closer  the better  but dont interere  with the fisherman
   if  no good  out side  head  north  a little  before  the houses    
                                                                               oc

seeya down  the bay ( barnegat )

i love swimmin with bow legged wemen !!
alvargo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the ramp a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday as well and there wasn't much activity.  I tried crabbing with a few traps off the dock and only caught one crab in over an hour. Not very promising. No flies that day.

I used to crab out of Waretown over thirty years ago and we did better there than the Ocean Gate area. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be much interest in the area. As soon as my schedule and the weather get in sync I'll take a boat down and give it a try. I'll be sure to post a report when I do.

Thanks again,

Al

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home