October 16, 2018, 09:06:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: low oxygen in the bay - crabs gotta breathe  (Read 2820 times)
mdjohn

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2005, 08:33:05 AM »

Oxygen-deprived 'dead zone' spreads over 41% of the bay
By Tom Pelton
Sun Staff
Originally published August 25, 2005

The low-oxygen "dead zone" in the Chesapeake Bay spread this month to cover 41 percent of the estuary, the second-worst reading for August in recorded history, according to scientific data released yesterday.

The dismal results followed a report in July from the federal- and state-funded Chesapeake Bay Program that 36 percent of the bay's main section had less than 5 milligrams per liter of dissolved oxygen, a level that ranked among the worst for that month in a quarter-century of monitoring.

"People ought to be outraged by the condition of the Chesapeake Bay," said Will Baker, president of the nonprofit Chesapeake Bay Foundation, an advocacy group. "Our elected officials have got to start making the difficult decisions to reduce pollution, or we are going to end up with a national treasure that doesn't just have dead zones, it's going to be dead, period."

Low-oxygen "dead zones" spread during hot weather, when runoff of farm fertilizer and other pollutants into the bay feed the multiplication of algae. These rot and are consumed by bacteria in a process that deprives the water of oxygen that marine life needs to live.

Rockfish, blue crabs and other species won't die instantly if exposed to slightly less than 5 milligrams per liter of dissolved oxygen, said David Jasinski, water quality data analyst for the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science. But they don't reproduce as well and can become unhealthy, he said.

More troubling, Jasinski said, is that about 10 percent of the bay had almost zero oxygen during the latest monitoring from Aug. 8 to Aug. 11. These were mostly the deepest sections of the bay, where there was less than 0.2 milligrams per liter of dissolved oxygen, a level that would kill fish, the Chesapeake Bay Program said.

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:19:35 AM »

If the CBF dosen't stir up the pot, they can't get grant money to operate.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 11:24:14 AM »

THEY DEFINITELY HAVE TO GET ON THE BALL WITH THAT.  TO HAVE AN ENTIRE BAY DEAD IS UNTHINKABLE.  Sad

New Britain, CT
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 01:10:56 PM »

they have the same problem in the gulf of mexico.

And i know when I was running a trotline there would be dead zones that did not have crabs. I blamed it on the bottom structure/mud whatever
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »

i missed this post. ive had some lines of pots this summer with 1/2 of the crabs dead.  others the same.  the dead zone may be killing more than the commercial  and rec take combined.  this is not just tree-hugger hype. it is real, it is a problem, and it is from pollution and lack of filter feeders

Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 02:11:50 PM »

i missed this post. ive had some lines of pots this summer with 1/2 of the crabs dead. others the same. the dead zone may be killing more than the commercial and rec take combined. this is not just tree-hugger hype. it is real, it is a problem, and it is from pollution and lack of filter feeders

PC,

How often are you pulling your pots?

Do you think checking them more often would help cut the number of dead crabs?

kajuncrabber
Lifetime Member

No place like on the water fishing Blue Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »

Gang,

The Gulf of Mexico has a very large area know as the "Dead Zone" or the "Hypoxia Zone ". This large area stretches from the Mississippi River to the Texas and Louisiana border. This area is miles offshore in about 200 feet of water. This water has depleted oxygen and most marine life will not survive in this water, check this out. Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.ncat.org/nutrients/hypoxia/hypoxia.html

kajun  thumbsup

Lets share the knowledge of Blue Crab fishing recreational or commercial and have a good ole time.
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

Kajun,

That is some bad news !!  Sad

kajuncrabber
Lifetime Member

No place like on the water fishing Blue Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 03:16:45 PM »

Islander,

This Dead Zone has been here for years just getting bigger and bigger. I am not sure how the storm will affect this area or maybe mix it up as much as putting oxygen back in this water. That report on the dead zone was before the storm. As long as pollution is not controlled and dumped in all the river and water ways this will happen everywhere. Sad

kajun  thumbsup

Lets share the knowledge of Blue Crab fishing recreational or commercial and have a good ole time.
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »

Kajun,

This is getting more depressing by the minute!   sad3

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home