Opening day fast approaching

Started by Bdc, August 16, 2012, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indoe

Went hunting on public land this Saturday and my friend shot his first deer ever. I have 3 new hunters I am hunting with. They have never hunted deer so I am showing them the ropes. We got into the woods late as he was supposed to be at my house at 4 to 4:30am but did not show up until 5:30am. By the time we had started to walk into the woods the sun was almost coming up. I tell him where to go and I go my way. We set up and we are texting back and forth. He see's 2 deer at 30 yards but are moving to fast for him to take a shot. Then he see's another one at 30 yards but bust him before he can take a shot. Then 10 min later the two same deer that he saw at first sneak up on him and he stands up to early and they bust him and take off. We wait a little and decide to call it a day around 10:30. He writes back OK. Then 3 mins later he writes I shot one. I was so excited for him I felt like I shot it. He says he shot a doe about 25 yards away. It came from behind him and he had to turn around to take the shot. I get to where he is at and he says he can't find a blood trail but saw the arrow stick in the deer. I find a small blood trail and it is not looking good. Only a few drops of blood here and there but no big piles like a good hit deer would be pumping out. He is not positive where he shot the deer so I am thinking he shot high and we might not find the deer. We keep following the trail and look up after 50 yards. I see the white belly and yell to him there is your deer. We run up to it and find out it is a spike. I help him field dress the deer and then cut up the deer at the house. He takes the head and says he is going to do a skull mount with his first buck. I tell him its not much of a buck but he said he is still going to do it.  :laugh: I make fun of him as a friend should but was very proud of him and his first deer. He cant wait to take his sons hunting when they get old enough.  ;D He text me the next day he cant wait to go hunting again. I wish I had more time to hunt but I'm going to be working Saturdays for a while.  :'( New property and no time to hunt them.
Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

flounderpounder

as many deer that were spooked that day I'd prob wait AWHILE before I hunted there again anyway ..
" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME ";)

lefty87

Congrats! I went out last friday with a buddy I work with and another who works for us fish and wildlife, saw 7 total that evening!  Had a nice fat doe coming up with her little ones eating in the field with her but a guy on the neighboring property came riding along the property edge on his gator and spooked them.  Two of the seven deer were nice bucks.  

I put my cameras and corn out on my property sunday and had a nice big buck run out in front of me while putting them out, so I am going to let that area cool down for a bit.  I am just happy to get out and hopefully the weather can stay cool.

indoe

Quote from: flounderpounder on September 18, 2012, 08:48:28 AM
as many deer that were spooked that day I'd prob wait AWHILE before I hunted there again anyway ..

That was public land he shot the deer on. If I dont go back there will be 5 other hunters in the woods. The deer get pressure all the time and are looking in the trees while walking. There are so many deer in those woods I have seen over 30 in one evening more then once hunting those woods. They where all 60 to 100 yards away so no shot. This was also 3 years ago. I will get one within 2 weeks. Looking for a doe or nice buck. I'm not shooting anything under 8 points with a big rack. Still very early so why not go big.  ;)
Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Bdc

Quote from: indoe on September 18, 2012, 08:38:51 PM
That was public land he shot the deer on. If I dont go back there will be 5 other hunters in the woods. The deer get pressure all the time and are looking in the trees while walking. There are so many deer in those woods I have seen over 30 in one evening more then once hunting those woods. They where all 60 to 100 yards away so no shot. This was also 3 years ago. I will get one within 2 weeks. Looking for a doe or nice buck. I'm not shooting anything under 8 points with a big rack. Still very early so why not go big.  ;)

Can't say I blame you on being picky early...can't say I would do the same ;). Cameras and great buck sign have really helped me the last few years in being patient though. I have to harvest a doe first in the early season before we are able to take a buck. Tonight is my first sit of season. Pretty pumped. Just hope no other hunters bother me. Had a run-in last year back there...at my second locale. I'm at my first and haven't been bothered in 3 years so fingers crossed. No sign of hunters in there the last two weeks when I was baiting/scouting.
Little Orca

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Bdc

Was an annoying first sit. The conditions were SUPPOSEDLY perfect. North wind 10-13mph....a little strong but with the early season mosquitoes....I'll take it. Blowing directly opposite of where I usually see them come from. Like I said...perfect set up. Got in tree around 5 so a nice 2.5 hour sit. However, it was a dead zone. I mean no movement at all with the wind. It was minus wind. Already, these weather jo's are screwing up my hunts....It happened so many times last year where they were way off on the wind directions....any how.... Most of the pics on my cam are in daylight between 5-7pm....oddly enough. Sure enough 525...here they come 2 does. Hey, that's all I want right now. Get a doe down so I can wait a bit for bucky boy in the coming weeks. I couldn't have drawn it up any better....but, they didn't like something stopped about 45 50 yards away and turned back. Another 15 minutes...here come 3 more. Little dink...of course he come right in. The other two shooter does....nah. They watch from the distance. Little man ate for 25 minutes than walked right in front of me. later here come two more...same spot....never came in. Then one came in from my right pretty much on my trail and she blew. Should've just got down at that point it was around 7. Still light out so I sat listening to the coyotes howling.It was great that a lot of deer were moving....but it was like I had sprayed myself with a can of "Here the eff I am".

I can see the one that came in close to my trail. Don't get the others...the only reasoning I can think of is that the air was so stagnant...my scent just hovered. Believe me I did all the things I usually do...No scent washed everything...no scent showered before hand....scent cover spray. I was in awe of what was happening....That didin't happen to me last season. Was a strange sit.
Little Orca

lefty87

At least you saw something!  I don't believe in the no scent stuff, I have taken multiple nice bucks and deer without using those products but I do leave my hunting clothes outside.  So I guess it is the same practice as spraying with no scent.  I am going to try to head out this evening hoping to be lucky to get some meat.  Cameras are sometimes a tease right?

My buddy got a real nice 9 pt yesterday, his second deer of the year.  Got to try and get on the board. lol

Bdc

Good Luck. I know, I've taken deer as well when everything was "wrong" and no no-scent. I think it was conditins last night...It was just a weird and unsuspecting hunt. Go get em tonight. I'm heading out again.
Little Orca

KI Crabber

Ah......the reasons I have pretty much given up bow hunting! I used to enjoy the challange when I had time to invest in the sport. With age I have become more partial to my bullet bows :) It is a great sport if you have the time!!!! Good luck!

Bdc

Ok. Time to give it a rest and wait for some horns. Bagged a doe last night. Nothing to write home about but still...meat in the freezer.  I don't usually do what I did last night...which is sit a spot that I just blew up the day before. However, I won't be able to get out for a bit and the weather was good so I said screw it. Sat in my old tree on other side of bait. The same little dink comes in. Has a snack, proceeds to bed down right beside the pile for 30 minutes. Gets up, mills the acorns...and then eats on the pile for 45 minutes! Nothing else around. Getting to be about 7. Hear noise. Where? Of course it's toward my back left...which is the only spot that would be bad....of course.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: She gets to my trail. stops. stomps. I can't even turn my head that way. Finally, slowly make the move to try and see her b/c I hear her walking away. Spot her. Then it seems she may come right in. Wrong. She turns and starts to walk. I take the opportunity to swing myself around to maybe get a shot off. She's walking turns to quartering away. I stopped her and let it fly. She did a face plant about 20 yards away. Feels good to be on the board. Good luck everyone.
Little Orca

KI Crabber

I love it when a plan comes together! Congrats!

Bdc

Little Orca

lefty87

Congrats! I am still waiting to get on the board for this year. Went out yesterday evening saw 3, big bertha doe and her little ones.  Unfort she was way too far out, over 100 yards.  Tonight this evening, I was hoping to get lucky (what she said). Around 6 I hear a branch break and here comes a fawn (still with spots) then behind it,  her mother 20 yards out.  Fawn goes and eats some corn and I look behind me, I spot movement. Here comes 4 more, another fawn, doe, and two little bucks.  They feed practically under me for half an hour eating acorns and then they make their way past me.  Unfortunately nothing big came by.  But it was great to see deer finally within shooting range! haha

Bdc

yep. You had action, makes for an enjoyable hunt.  Only a matter of time.
Little Orca

lefty87

Sat our this morn. Had a small 6 pt come in.  So the bucks are slowly getting bigger.  I can't wait til nearby crops get harvested since the land I lease is all woods.

Bruce Foster Studio

good luck to everyone in 2012....biggest one I got in during the 2011 season

Bdc

That's absurd :o :o :o :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's a pig of a deer. Nice job.
Little Orca

lefty87

Now that is a nice buck. What do they call those in hunting videos...oh yea a "shooter".

Grizzly36

I'm just gettings strarted just got my stand up and finished over the last week.  I put some piles of corn and buck jam out last weekend and it doesnt look like its been touched.  I put some more jam out this weekend too just because. How long does it normally sit before they start eating it. It would be nice to have a cam out its just not in the cards yet.  I'm starting form scratch so i've got plenty invested in the bow and clothes and building a stand so its gonna have to wait.

Also i thought i've been told its ok to shoot over the bait in delaware is that correct? I've checked the Hunting guide but haven't seen anything on it. Hope to make out for the 1st sit this week or next.
Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked

lefty87

Quote from: Grizzly36 on September 24, 2012, 01:41:57 PM
I'm just gettings strarted just got my stand up and finished over the last week.  I put some piles of corn and buck jam out last weekend and it doesnt look like its been touched.  I put some more jam out this weekend too just because. How long does it normally sit before they start eating it. It would be nice to have a cam out its just not in the cards yet.  I'm starting form scratch so i've got plenty invested in the bow and clothes and building a stand so its gonna have to wait.

Also i thought i've been told its ok to shoot over the bait in delaware is that correct? I've checked the Hunting guide but haven't seen anything on it. Hope to make out for the 1st sit this week or next.
Yup you are good to bait on private property.  You can not do so on state land.  As far as it comes to deer finding a corn pile, it really depends on the area.  When I first started one it took the deer only 3 days to find it.  But I started it a couple years ago when we had Irene so the deer were forced to move by my stand on the property I hunt.  There is a lot of green/crops/acorns right now but once the fields get cut and gets cooler, there will be no doubt the deer will be at your spot.  If you're trying to hunt early season, I think acorn spots and field edges are your best chances right now.