Opening day fast approaching

Started by Bdc, August 16, 2012, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly36

Quote from: lefty87 on September 24, 2012, 01:52:18 PM
Yup you are good to bait on private property.  You can not do so on state land.  As far as it comes to deer finding a corn pile, it really depends on the area.  When I first started one it took the deer only 3 days to find it.  But I started it a couple years ago when we had Irene so the deer were forced to move by my stand on the property I hunt.  There is a lot of green/crops/acorns right now but once the fields get cut and gets cooler, there will be no doubt the deer will be at your spot.  If you're trying to hunt early season, I think acorn spots and field edges are your best spot chance right now.

Thanks.  My stands about 30ft inside the woods and outside the woods is a soybean field. and theres some acorns around also. I was kind of hoping the corn and jams would help ease there minds when they walked by the monstrocity of a stand I put up.  My sons asking to go so I had to make sure he would be safe and comfortable..
Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked

flounderpounder

Buck jam sucks... Hunt white oaks.. They are raining right now ;)
" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME ";)

Bdc

Quote from: flounderpounder on September 24, 2012, 03:47:12 PM
Buck jam sucks... Hunt white oaks.. They are raining right now ;)

Yes they are!
Little Orca

indoe

Nice job on the deer BDC.

I went out yesterday after work. I do not have much time to hunt as work is very busy. I got home at 5 and packed the truck and washed up and got dressed. I wanted to hunt my new place. Got into the woods around 5:45. I was rushing and just grabbed everythink. I got up in the tree and remembered that I forgot my flash light. That is not good. That means I need to shoot something fast or I am going back home to pick up a flash light to track any deer that I shoot. At 6:28 a small doe comes from my back. I would not have shot this deer but as it was getting close to dark and with no flash light it would be hard to track another deer. I was thinking to still let it go but then it came right next to me at 15 yards and its head behind a tree and the vitals in perfect view. I just wanted some meat in the freezer and deer steaks. So i took the shot and saw her crash 60 yards away. I sat in the stand for 15 min and started to lower by crossbow as I was going to pack my truck before looking for the deer. As soon as I lowered my crossbow a nice doe and her fawn come behind me and take off after seeing me. I find the doe right where I saw her crash and I will be having deer steak tomorrow. Cant wait. Good luck everyone and be safe.
Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

lefty87

Quote from: indoe on September 26, 2012, 08:51:44 PM

I went out yesterday after work. I do not have much time to hunt as work is very busy. I got home at 5 and packed the truck and washed up and got dressed. I wanted to hunt my new place. Got into the woods around 5:45. I was rushing and just grabbed everythink. I got up in the tree and remembered that I forgot my flash light. That is not good. That means I need to shoot something fast or I am going back home to pick up a flash light to track any deer that I shoot. At 6:28 a small doe comes from my back. I would not have shot this deer but as it was getting close to dark and with no flash light it would be hard to track another deer. I was thinking to still let it go but then it came right next to me at 15 yards and its head behind a tree and the vitals in perfect view. I just wanted some meat in the freezer and deer steaks. So i took the shot and saw her crash 60 yards away. I sat in the stand for 15 min and started to lower by crossbow as I was going to pack my truck before looking for the deer. As soon as I lowered my crossbow a nice doe and her fawn come behind me and take off after seeing me. I find the doe right where I saw her crash and I will be having deer steak tomorrow. Cant wait. Good luck everyone and be safe.
Congrats! For getting on the board.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Bdc

Quote from: indoe on September 26, 2012, 08:51:44 PM

Thanks and Nice job to you as well. I have to tell you....the deer I bagged...I skinned and quartered right away. It's amazing what hanging them for a few days or more does. I cut the loins out and put them right into my marinade. That was thursday evening. Grilled them up Sunday.  Although they had excellent flavor and were delicious...they were actually tough. Lesson learned for me.
Little Orca

flounderpounder

Good job !!! Thats the downfall of early season.. Not being able to hang for awhile before cutting.. Lol. And skeeters.. Lol

capt. ron

Say guys great stories.  My season doesn't open until October 1st.  Leaving the house on Sunday for a 3 day hunt.  I haven't hunted opening day of bow season before.  I hunt public land and baiting is not allowed. The temps here are still warm borderline hot.  Yesterday it was 89.  A cool front is suppose to come in this weekend and drop the temps to 80.  Northern Louisiana mornings should be upper 50's.  I expect the mosquito's to be pretty bad.  Got my thermocell loaded and ready.  I am allowed 3 bucks and 3 does.  I have plenty deer meat in the freezer so I'm only hunting horns.  Going to climb a tree that I've climbed for years so I don't have to do any scouting.  Wish me luck.

Ronnie
laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

indoe

Thanks guys. I am still hunting for some more meat and horns. Looking for big horns or big does. I am going to try and get out tomorrow or Saturday if I'm not at work to late.  :'( Sunday I will be crabbing.  ;D

Good luck Ron. I hope you get a wall hanger.

capt. ron

Not looking for something huge just bigger than a spike.  I know where 3 different bucks made it through last year.  Saw their tracks during turkey season.  I think 2 of them are at least 4 yrs. old.  Or different bucks are using the same scrape and rub lines. 

Just going to check the camp and take inventory.  Ride around and check out some new areas.

Ronnie
laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

KI Crabber

Quote from: capt. ron on September 27, 2012, 08:19:56 PM
Not looking for something huge just bigger than a spike.  I know where 3 different bucks made it through last year.  Saw their tracks during turkey season.  I think 2 of them are at least 4 yrs. old.  Or different bucks are using the same scrape and rub lines. 

Just going to check the camp and take inventory.  Ride around and check out some new areas.

Ronnie
Sounds like an awesome time! I wish everyday was a Saturday for me!!!! Good Luck! Be safe!

flounderpounder

Ill be out sat.   Cleared some lanes.. Checked waterin hole.. Got a shooter on cam from tues morn.. Im ready to let the air out of one!!!

Bdc

Quote from: flounderpounder on September 28, 2012, 07:56:45 AM
Ill be out sat.   Cleared some lanes.. Checked waterin hole.. Got a shooter on cam from tues morn.. Im ready to let the air out of one!!!

Good luck Jeff. Hope you do just that buddy.

I have to admit...I was a little lazy. I have access to 2 walk in boxes but I just didn't feel like making the drive 15-20 minute drive. So, I just hung her up in the garage and had at it. Gotta have the therma cell for those skeeters boy!!!
Little Orca

flounderpounder

I have a tcell... Just didnt carry it last night cuttin limbs.

Bdc

Little Orca

flounderpounder

Quote from: Bdc on September 28, 2012, 09:58:54 AM
Presumably got eaten up?
no.. Just trying to fly in my ears.. Lol hopefully i remember to take it tomorrow or itll be a long morning.. Haha

lefty87

nothing more annoying sitting in the dark in the morning hearing the infamous buzz around the head  :dizzy2:

MagnumTRex

Got my first day in the stand done Saturday morning.  Weather was beautiful, nice temp and a breeze in the right direction.  I only saw three deer but all bucks.  A spike, a 4 pointer, and a 6 pointer nothing worth shooting but a good sign.  Lot's of activity in our area.  Went back out Saturday night for a few hours and didn't see a thing.  There's a town celebration where I live next weekend and I'm gonna be getting out of dodge to hunt somewhere, haven't picked where yet.

lefty87

Quote from: MagnumTRex on October 01, 2012, 01:40:34 PM
Got my first day in the stand done Saturday morning.  Weather was beautiful, nice temp and a breeze in the right direction.  I only saw three deer but all bucks.  A spike, a 4 pointer, and a 6 pointer nothing worth shooting but a good sign.  Lot's of activity in our area.  Went back out Saturday night for a few hours and didn't see a thing.  There's a town celebration where I live next weekend and I'm gonna be getting out of dodge to hunt somewhere, haven't picked where yet.
It is great when you see something.  I went out Sat, saw my first shooter, but he was too busy making a rub and I had no calls with me to try and persuade him to stop otherwise.  Then someone came down the ditchline I was hunting in an SUV on neighboring property.  With some people they should let Darwinism take its course.

indoe

I went out saturday evening and only saw a 4 pointer.