Opening day fast approaching

Started by Bdc, August 16, 2012, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty87

My neighbor got a nice buck sat evening. Attached is a pic. Another one of my friends on the board. ha

flounderpounder

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME ";)

lefty87

Quote from: flounderpounder on October 02, 2012, 07:02:24 AM
is he amish? lol

thats a good one ;)

You must be a psychic.... did the buggy give it away? haha.  Yup, that would be a pic of my scheming hunting Amish neighbor's deer. lol

flounderpounder

Quote from: lefty87 on October 02, 2012, 09:10:21 AM
You must be a psychic.... did the buggy give it away? haha.  Yup, that would be a pic of my scheming hunting Amish neighbor's deer. lol

that and WILMER.....lol
" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME ";)

Bdc

Quote from: lefty87 on October 01, 2012, 10:58:46 PM
My neighbor got a nice buck sat evening. Attached is a pic. Another one of my friends on the board. ha

That's an understatement my friend.
Little Orca

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

indoe

That is a nice deer. That is what I'm looking for.  ;D Come here Mr. Deer. Come here.  :laugh:
Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

indoe

I went out Monday to my new property and saw a spike, 2 four pointers, an 8 pointer a doe and fawn. I will take the 8 pointer later this year if I do not get anything bigger but I know there are bigger deer on the property. I did not see anything I wanted that day so I had Thurday, Friday and Saturday off to hunt. Went out Thursday to the same place and had 2 deer run to me but with the sun in my eyes I could not get a good shot so I let them go. I was texting my wife when a huge doe comes right under me. A smaller doe and 6 pointer were with her. She gave me a quartering away shot so I took her down at around 20 yards. She ran about 100 yards and she went down. Good thing she went up the hill toward my truck. Made it much easier to drag her down the hill to my truck. She was at lease 120 pounds if not more. Then on public land I hunted Friday evening with two friends. Saw a nice 8 pointer that I would have taken chasing a doe threw the woods. I could not get a shot and they were gone. Decided to set up Saturday morning at the same spot. I did not see the buck but did see a nice doe. My friends wanted me to take one for them if they did not see anything. The doe came right at me to 10 yards. I thought I was high enough to shoot her in the spine and drop her in her tracks. If I miss right or left I would take out the lungs and some other vitals. So I took the shot and she took off. I saw her run away and down a hill. I came down about an hour later to see the arrow full of guts. My arrow went in the guts! Did I make that bad of a shot? Am I going to find this deer? Man I am mad at myself and rethinking my shot and what I should have done. So I find my friends and we start tracking the deer. There is not a good blood trail so I am getting worried. Small drops of blood here and there. We track it for 60 yards and having a hard time following the blood so I go down the hill to see if I can find better blood trail. I go down the hill and look around. There she is laying next to a fallen tree. She must have slid down the hill when she went over the hill as there was a lot of blood down the hill. She went about 80 yards before she crashed. I was half inch from her spine but my angle down was not there. I placed the shot were I wanted but should have gone for a front shoulder shot or waited the gave me a side shot. The arrow went threw her body and cut the intestants and that is where the poop came from. Took out one of the lungs and a few other vitals. It was a long hike back to the truck but my friends split the deer so they did not go home empty handed.  ;D I am going crabbing this weekend. Last crabbing trip unless it stays warm.

lefty87

Way to go. You never try to leave a deer to waste and you have good friends.  I hunted last sat afternoon passed up 2 small ones and a small doe and a quality 6. my buddy did better over at his house.  he literally put a stand up saturday evening 40 yards from his house and sat in it and took a shot at a nice buck.

the problem was his shot. me and and another friend meet up with him to go track it.  well we wanted to wait before tracking and the more beers we had while waiting the more we found out about the shot my buddy took.  he shot behind and gut shot this buck. he shot it at 6:30 pm we decided to go track at mid night since the area has some homes. so we track the deer to where he was bedded and he was still alive 6 hours after the shot looking at us.  my friend arrowed the deer with a 2nd shot at 10 yards away and by the time we got the deer out of the woods it was 3:30 am in the morn.  it was a pain in the butt that my friend took such a terrible shot (right through the left rear side and through right taking out guts) but we were going to find/get it and we did.  my buddy has a horse shoe up his rear when it comes to getting nice deer.

lefty87

oh and he was stinkin too...they are starting to rut.

indoe

You will have a good deer come your way soon lefty. My friend is kicking him self right now. He had a nice 9 pointer come from behind him and when he was pulling back busted him. I wish I had more time to hunt. There are a few nice deer out there I would like to hunt if I had the time.  >:(

capt. ron

I'm leaving Friday for a weekend hunt near the Texas border.  Looks like hunting in shorts and short sleeves over here.  Temps will be in the 80's.

Ronnie
laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll

Ron

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek

indoe

Good luck Ron. We have had some cold weather around here. Lows around 40. Deer are moving pretty well. I like hunting in short sleeve shirts but getting sweaty to your stand is never good.

lefty87

capt. ron

I'm going to an area I haven't been before.  My best friend hunts there regularly.  Invites me every year but I'm usually on duty.  Not this year. HAHA.  Had to break out the tent and camping gear.  Haven't had to use them in about 7 years.  Pack a few clothes and food and I'm ready to go.  Will meet him in Baton Rouge on Friday Morning around 4 am.  Then off to the secret area.

Ronnie
let the good times roll

Grizzly36

Finally made it out yesterday.  First ever Deer hunt! Took my son along since he's been asking to go.  We didn't see any deer but atleast we got out and got some father son time together.  Hopefully at somepoint during this season I'll have a kill story of my own.
Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked

capt. ron

Griz
Its not about the kill its about the sights and sounds of hunting and spending time with your son or daughter.  I've seen amazing things while hunting.  I probably watched squirrels more than watching for deer. Enjoy the time together.  Bring along a camera to capture some moments of the wildlife.

The more time you spend in the woods the better your opportunity of killing but don't make momma mad.

Ronnie
let the good times roll

lefty87

I finally got on the board. Great day to be in the woods. The morn got the blood flowing with a deer running right past me in the dark literally 10 feet down the creek bottom I had to cross to get to the stand but saw nothing during daylight hours.  Evening was different, saw 4 different bucks button buck, spike, small 6, and a monster buck.  The big buck may be one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen. The button buck got the arrow at 35 yards since I thought it was a big doe.  Finally meat in the freezer.  Happy hunting all and the rut looks to be starting.

capt. ron

Only thing I have to say is HORROR story.

Made my trip.  Scouted Friday and found where they had some deer.  Hunted Saturday morning in a cut over.  Grass was knee to waist deep.  Feed to the East and bedding grounds to the West.  Feeder creek with some leftover hardwood split running Ease to West.  I set up in the split and my buddy set up about 400 yds to the South.

Come daylight he shoots.  At 8 O'Clock I have 2 does at 150 yds walking toward me.  As luck would have it the wind shifts and the deer catch his scent and bolt just before I get to pull the trigger.  Had the cross hairs on her shoulder too.  He killed a small 130 lb. 4 pt.

I couldn't resist the temptation to scout in the hardwoods to the East.  Found where a good buck was pawing the ground.  Set up chair blind for the Saturday evening hunt but didn't see anything.

Sunday morning I climbed a tree so I could cover some more territory.  Right at daylight I very nice 6 pt. was walking directly toward me.  25 yd shot crosshairs between the shoulders and pull the trigger.  Down he went.  He fell not 15 feet where I had sat the evening before.  Felt real good.  Did everything right.  Scouted for feed, took advantage of the terrain and overlooking trail.  He laid there for 30 minutes.  I could see him twitch his ear every once in a while.  It was just a matter of time before he died.  Right.  All of a sudden he lifts his head.  I'm thinking no problem I broke his back he's not going anywhere.  Put the crosshairs on his neck debating weather or not to shoot him again.  He must have read my mind.  All of a sudden he gets up and bolts. I'm like what the heck just happened.  My dead deer just got up and ran off.  OK I know which way he ran.  I'll let him lay down again and I'll find him dead.  45 minutes later I hear a shot from the private land in the same direction he ran.  My heart sank.  At 9 I got down and went looking.  Found a puddle of blood where he laid down not 50 yds from a box stand on private property.  Couldn't walk any futher.

Lesson learned.  As long as I have a bullet in my pocket I'm going to use it!!! :'( :'( :'(

Ronnie
let the good times roll

lefty87

Quote from: capt. ron on October 22, 2012, 09:42:43 AM
Only thing I have to say is HORROR story.

Made my trip.  Scouted Friday and found where they had some deer.  Hunted Saturday morning in a cut over.  Grass was knee to waist deep.  Feed to the East and bedding grounds to the West.  Feeder creek with some leftover hardwood split running Ease to West.  I set up in the split and my buddy set up about 400 yds to the South.

Come daylight he shoots.  At 8 O'Clock I have 2 does at 150 yds walking toward me.  As luck would have it the wind shifts and the deer catch his scent and bolt just before I get to pull the trigger.  Had the cross hairs on her shoulder too.  He killed a small 130 lb. 4 pt.

I couldn't resist the temptation to scout in the hardwoods to the East.  Found where a good buck was pawing the ground.  Set up chair blind for the Saturday evening hunt but didn't see anything.

Sunday morning I climbed a tree so I could cover some more territory.  Right at daylight I very nice 6 pt. was walking directly toward me.  25 yd shot crosshairs between the shoulders and pull the trigger.  Down he went.  He fell not 15 feet where I had sat the evening before.  Felt real good.  Did everything right.  Scouted for feed, took advantage of the terrain and overlooking trail.  He laid there for 30 minutes.  I could see him twitch his ear every once in a while.  It was just a matter of time before he died.  Right.  All of a sudden he lifts his head.  I'm thinking no problem I broke his back he's not going anywhere.  Put the crosshairs on his neck debating weather or not to shoot him again.  He must have read my mind.  All of a sudden he gets up and bolts. I'm like what the heck just happened.  My dead deer just got up and ran off.  OK I know which way he ran.  I'll let him lay down again and I'll find him dead.  45 minutes later I hear a shot from the private land in the same direction he ran.  My heart sank.  At 9 I got down and went looking.  Found a puddle of blood where he laid down not 50 yds from a box stand on private property.  Couldn't walk any futher.

Lesson learned.  As long as I have a bullet in my pocket I'm going to use it!!! :'( :'( :'(

Ronnie
Well at least you didnt pull a move when I first started hunting.  Went to shoot a doe, click. I forgot to load the gun. haha