August 16, 2018, 07:17:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Crab population surges in Chesapeake per MD DNR  (Read 8383 times)
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »

Not sure if this was posted before - sorry.

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2012/06/14/blue-crab-population-surges-chesapeake-bay

The survey found 764 million blue crabs, a 66 percent increase over last year. The juvenile crab population exploded to a record high of 587 million, nearly three times the number recorded last year. The previous high was 512 million, recorded in 1997.

“Even though the overall abundance is good news, the number of spawning-age adults is much lower than the number of recruit, or young, crabs,” said Brenda Davis, blue crab program manager for Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources. “Recruit crabs made up 77 percent of the 64 million crab abundance estimate from the Bay winter dredge survey. Therefore, the department has decided to maintain the level of conservation that was in place for the 2011 crabbing season.”
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

That's good and bad news.

Good:  rec's should limit out everytime they go out.  Not a bad day even if you don't catch your limit.  More females make for a good future.  It'll take more than 1 good year to make a significant difference in future catches.

Bad:  Over abundant catches mean lower dock prices for commercial fishermen.  Lower profits mean fishermen have to fish more gear, put in longer hours, higher expenses (bait, fuel) to make up for the lower prices which means more crabs are being caught which lowers the future amount of crabs.

Its a snowball affect.  The fisherman always looses.  Retail prices never go down.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »

Here are the nitty gritty details for all you geeks who like charts and such:

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/documents/CBSAC_Final_Advisory_Report_2012_(v3).pdf

The number of mature females actually dropped but was apparently within the "norms" according to the report.  The total for 2012 estimated is 97 million, with a long term target of 215 million females, but above the threshold of 70 million.  Basically I guess if it drops below 70, then over-harvesting is occurring. 

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »

That's good and bad news.

Good:  rec's should limit out everytime they go out.  Not a bad day even if you don't catch your limit.  More females make for a good future.  It'll take more than 1 good year to make a significant difference in future catches.

Bad:  Over abundant catches mean lower dock prices for commercial fishermen.  Lower profits mean fishermen have to fish more gear, put in longer hours, higher expenses (bait, fuel) to make up for the lower prices which means more crabs are being caught which lowers the future amount of crabs.

a snowball affect.  The fisherman always looses.  Retail prices never go down.

Ronnie

Maryland has turned Crabbing into a Politicial Event Ron............Nothing to worry about, DNR can't save the crabs no more than they can work within their Budget.....They need more Money so they'll "Play The System"...... Roll Eyes   DNR is BROKE and O'Malley is running for President in 2016............SMH Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:35:41 PM by genecrabman » Logged
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

Politics is killing our seafood and hunting industry.  Biologist give early season reports on the outlook for each years productivity.  They lie! One year they said that due to the cold temperatures and wet winter the spring shrimp season would be a bust.  Everyone agreed and we had an average season.  Next year we had a warm and dry winter which is good for the growth of brown shrimp and it was one of our worst seasons ever.

Earlier this year they said that our crabbing industry was in very good shape and gave the state 4 stars for managing our industry but it was the worst in years and not due to the storm.

Over fishing is a problem down here.  When I first got my license in '86 my number was 33888.  Now there in the 300,000's and counting.  You use to be able to crab an area and never see another trap but now you can't find an open spot to drop a trap.  I use to shrimp at night and never catch a trap.  Now you don't ever try to go out at night due to all the traps.  Just not the same.

Ronnie

let the good times roll

Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »

sounds like to me the dnr needs to listen to the waterman...not the other way around.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

You're right.  One year I told the board the day they were going to announce the opening of the brown shrimp season before they publicly announced it.  The guy looked at me and smiled.  Yeah, I knew they were going to set the season 3 days after the last moon in May.  Why,  all the larger shrimp would migrate to the gulf where the larger boats could scoop up on them and flood the market leaving the smaller shrimp behind to be caught by the smaller boats in inside waters.  Had it figured out by the third year.

Ronnie

let the good times roll
Sndpiper
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »

Fed figures show Md. led nation in 2011 crab catch

Wednesday - 9/19/2012, 5:08pm  ET
BALTIMORE - Maryland's crab harvest last year led the nation. That's according to figures released Wednesday by the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Nearly 200 million pounds of blue crabs were landed nationwide last year, with Maryland accounting for more than 25 percent of the harvest. Louisiana was second with 22 percent and Virginia third at 19 percent. However, the crab catch in the Chesapeake region was down slightly at nearly 88 million pounds.

And while the overall harvest increased almost 8 percent, the value of the harvest dropped nearly 15 percent to about $180 million. The federal figures show watermen received an average of 91 cents a pound, compared to $1.15 a pound the year before.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

Fed figures show Md. led nation in 2011 crab catch

Wednesday - 9/19/2012, 5:08pm  ET
BALTIMORE - Maryland's crab harvest last year led the nation. That's according to figures released Wednesday by the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Nearly 200 million pounds of blue crabs were landed nationwide last year, with Maryland accounting for more than 25 percent of the harvest. Louisiana was second with 22 percent and Virginia third at 19 percent. However, the crab catch in the Chesapeake region was down slightly at nearly 88 million pounds.

And while the overall harvest increased almost 8 percent, the value of the harvest dropped nearly 15 percent to about $180 million. The federal figures show watermen received an average of 91 cents a pound, compared to $1.15 a pound the year before.

There are NO CRABS IN VIRGINIA.... Angry      Wink Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

Math don't seem right. 25% of 200 M is 50 M, but MD's Cheasapeake catch was down to 88 M. Am I missing something here?

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.

Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »

Math don't seem right. 25% of 200 M is 50 M, but MD's Cheasapeake catch was down to 88 M. Am I missing something here?

looks funny at first. But heres the calculation.

Its chesapeake REGION (MD and VA).  Not juts MD.  200M X 25% plus 200M X 19%  (50+38)= 88.

I guess Jacks's been holding out on us. Theres just as many crabs in VA as there is in MD.  Now that we know VA does have crabs I wonder which tastes better.

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

There are NO CRABS IN VIRGINIA.... Angry      Wink Grin

Or North Carolina..................

Why on earth does Maryland need strict crab regulations anyways??   Never trust Politican... Wink
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

Gene, how many comm. crabbers are there in NC? How many Of those crab? Do you have a limited entry?
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

Why on earth does Maryland need strict crab regulations

Cause they taste the best in the world Grin

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »

Gene, how many comm. crabbers are there in NC? How many Of those crab? Do you have a limited entry?

I think it's about 6,000 licenses,and it's limited entry..But you can buy one cheaper than any other State...Usually 2-3K....

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

looks funny at first. But heres the calculation.

Its chesapeake REGION (MD and VA).  Not juts MD.  200M X 25% plus 200M X 19%  (50+38)= 88.

I guess Jacks's been holding out on us. Theres just as many crabs in VA as there is in MD.  Now that we know VA does have crabs I wonder which tastes better.
Thanks for the clarification was getting ready to go back to school. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:45 AM »

Thanks for the clarification was getting ready to go back to school. Grin

Just for the co-eds though, right?   Grin

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

Just for the co-eds though, right?   Grin

I see you know him......... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »

I think it's about 6,000 licenses,and it's limited entry..But you can buy one cheaper than any other State...Usually 2-3K....

About the same # as MD.  Looks like you'll be on EDF's "HIT LIST" next.  Grin

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

About the same # as MD.  Looks like you'll be on EDF's "HIT LIST" next.  Grin

You can bet your butt one thing.....................They won't have a warm greeting like they did in Maryland... Wink  This big ole Boy don't mine getting LOUD!!! Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home