May 21, 2018, 12:45:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Crab population surges in Chesapeake per MD DNR  (Read 8217 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »

Gene, do you have any groups or associations that represent comm. fishermen?? If so thats where they will start, the independants will be ignored just like here.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »

Gene, do you have any groups or associations that represent comm. fishermen?? If so thats where they will start, the independants will be ignored just like here.

We had some dealing with EDF about 3 to 4  years ago, not many people trusted em.....Next time I heard of them they were in Md....
colonels cruiser
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

I have lost any confidence in what the government says or predicts about the crab population.
I've been crabbing for 35 years and I have never seen a more pitiful harvest in terms of quantity and quality of crabs.
Something is terribly wrong!!
Beyond the obvious sewage impact on the water quality and the continuing runoff that is no better than 10 years ago I discovered another culprit.
I've never seen so many large catfish in the Bay. I was wondering if they eat crabs when today I discovered parts of a crab in the mouth of a large catfish that I caught.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »

Everything eats Crabs, they even it themselves...I've seen conchs in crabots have crab claws in their Mouth thingy... Roll Eyes
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »

Colonel, where do you crab most of the time?? If it's above the BB spans the big storms and HEAVY  rains fromlast fall had a big effect on the catch this season in that area. I believe the fresh water from the storms pushed out our over wintering crabs well below the bb. the catfish in # s also says the same.

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »

north , south, east , west.....was a great year for me !!!

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

FP, if all you need is a bus. or so and are willing to travel i understand the year was ok.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

FP, if all you need is a bus. or so and are willing to travel i understand the year was ok.

yeah I travel.....hard to catch quality crabs in PA  Grin     but with 3-4k feet of line .....well you know the rest. and yeah....your water sucked this year compared to the last few  Lips Sealed    if you cant catch 6-10 bu a day now.....you should sell out. the crabs are makin people look like crabbing superstars right now  laugh laugh laugh

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

You definately had to think outside the box this year.  You couldn't just go to where you always crab and expect them to be there.  It took a little moving and rethinking.  All in all if you stuck it out, the catch was ok but the size was not there through the entire summer.  We have crab meat in the freezer and quite a few good memories and hope to make a few more trips before they take a nap...
iloveit03

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

Just wait till next year when the holy grail of crabs ( wds ) says we have 2 billion crabs in the bay I know it will be better then because owemalley said so  Roll Eyes

yorkpacrabber

Just another day in paradise :)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

You definately had to think outside the box this year.  You couldn't just go to where you always crab and expect them to be there.  It took a little moving and rethinking.  All in all if you stuck it out, the catch was ok but the size was not there through the entire summer.  We have crab meat in the freezer and quite a few good memories and hope to make a few more trips before they take a nap...

Couldn't have said it any better ....... well except for the crab meat in the freezer, I'm not patient enough for that.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of
will."
fishingtom
In Memoriam 08/2015
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »

Couldn't have said it any better ....... well except for the crab meat in the freezer, I'm not patient enough for that.
Crab picking and laundry are 2 of the 3 things I got married for... Cool

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home