October 17, 2018, 02:41:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Claw Crabs of Massachusetts.  (Read 2210 times)
Faust77

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

Hi, new to this forum and this is my first post. Can anyone shed some light on a few questions I have regarding that habits of the  Blue Claw? I have searched the Internet for some answers, but have yet to find any satisfactory answers. 

When I think of BC Crabs mostly Delmarva and The Chesapeake come to mind. I understand their range extends much further North. But the ones we see in Massachusetts, do they breed in our waters? Or are they migrating, like stripers from their birthplace the Chesapeake or the Hudson? I wouldn't exactly call the Blue Claw uncommon up here, but I also don't think I'd  call them superabundant either. Finding peelers is like finding a unicorn haha.  I have only found one or two soft shell crabs. One pair had the male cradling his female. 

It's now Autumn and as the weather cooled I noticed what I feel was a crab exodus moving through a culvert into an estuary/deeper salt pond. They would ride the outgoing tide and just float down stream. Where do they go once the weather cools, and what is their tolerance water temp wise? Are they moving to deeper water? Or trying to find some mud to bury themselves in for the winter? Do they leave our state?

I realize that's a lot of questions, but thanks for reading!
crabbyjim

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

i think the crab stay up here and just move to deeper water just like everywhere else. You should read Beautiful Swimmers many questions will be answered.
Faust77

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

Just got a copy. Great read so far.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home