December 05, 2019, 01:02:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sat 10/13 Rolphs Warf  (Read 7718 times)
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Crabbed out of Rolphs today with my brother and his son and my two sons, just 1/2 mile or so up stream in 6 to 12 foot water. 500 foot snood line with necks and 14 traps with chicken thighs, both soaked in clam juice and fish stock for 2 days. Just like most crabbers on the chester, caught 2 bushel of legal size to 7 1/4 inch in about 2 1/2 hours. Most of the crabs were light, but all big. Not many throw backs. Many of the traps had several doubles, several triples and one had 4 keepers. Traps did great in the 6-7 foot water. Line was in 8 to 12 foot and produced about dozen or more crabs each pull. Cant wait till next weekend and hopefully crabs are fuller and weather just like today, except little warmer. Laid everything out just close to legal start time, but crazy to see to see others crabbing just as sun rose. Thanks to all the crabbers who post on this forum, it has helped me a lot this year to get on the crabs and has been a lot of fun reading some of the posts.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »

Thanks for the report and welcome to the forums.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »

nice , welcome

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
mbrage97

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

I came out of Goodhands into the Narrows on plane this morning @ 7:10 AM dodging trap floats and trotline markers.  Nothing better than October crabbing, except that I start an hour behind MOST.  I guess that's what happens when you choose to follow the rules.  The complacency of those that choose to ignore the law is laughable.  If YOU're out there dropping gear, it's on YOU to know that if YOU are a recreational crabber, as of October 1, you can't set gear until 30 minutes after sunrise.  THEY choose to take a calculated risk that THEY won't get caught.  So, when I get to my spot before legal start time in October and crabber X comes by and drops his gear in front of me, what am I to do???  The answer is nothing, because when I get to my spot before legal in October crabber X has already been working it for an hour.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »

Funny you mention that because I was chilling at the spot I wanted to crab this morning and about 20 minutes before legal start time someone came up and asked where I was laying my line and after I told them they started laying their pots and my kids wanted me to start setting ours but I said no I am not taking any chances and its not legal start time. Trust me it was hard not to start when that beautiful sunrise was coming on and knowing that 2 weeks ago I was already pulling our first run, but you have to follow the rules and teach your kids the right way. When I was in my late teens I made the mistake of not following the rules and got busted. Needless to say that when you see the game warden dump your nice bushel of crabs back in the water and write you a ticket for $75 you learn quickly that it's not worth it. Glad to see others doing the same.

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

Ticket might be lil more then $75 nowadays.

I love to fish, but I live to crab
rjhornet7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »

Do you normally sock you bait ?
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

Yes, I actually soak my baits all the time with clam juice and just started using the fish stock. This time I used 2 jars of clam juice and 1 can of fish stock. Not sure how much it helps, but if the crabs are around I never get skunked. I have crabbed for many many years and this past trip to see many doubles and triples in my crab pots would let me believe that it helps. Give it a shot, certainly can't hurt.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

Call dnr.. Then at legal time run your gear wherever you want.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
zfatdaddy99

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »

Trust me its not worth your time to complain. If you you dont go early there wont be many spots to crab anymore. Angry I head to Chester every fall for 30+years and after Labor Day there would be 2 trailers @ shipyard landing most of the time. Now you cant find a spot? I wonder why. I actually laid in a spot last week that I have never crabbed in because there was no where else to crab. We got lucky and laid on bushels of crabs.

Going next weekend for the last trip of the year and then its trolling for Big Rockfish and deer hunting.

Get use to it its only going to get worse unless Maryland limits the amount of out of state license. Angry

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

Trust me its not worth your time to complain. If you you dont go early there wont be many spots to crab anymore. Angry I head to Chester every fall for 30+years and after Labor Day there would be 2 trailers @ shipyard landing most of the time. Now you cant find a spot? I wonder why. I actually laid in a spot last week that I have never crabbed in because there was no where else to crab. We got lucky and laid on bushels of crabs.

Going next weekend for the last trip of the year and then its trolling for Big Rockfish and deer hunting.

Get use to it its only going to get worse unless Maryland limits the amount of out of state license. Angry

Or the in-state licenses.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
zfatdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »

Hey crewstation. I pay 4000 in state taxes every year and can crab anywhere I want.

You pay 10.00 along with 1000's of other out of stater's and rape our resource, must be nice.
crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

Hey crewstation. I pay 4000 in state taxes every year and can crab anywhere I want.

You pay 10.00 along with 1000's of other out of stater's and rape our resource, must be nice.

Hay, that ain't cool.. Don't start that s***.

I wish i was a crab.
whaler

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

yep here we go again . still fighting the civil war down there . most people pay state tax  Undecided. and some people are crabby about it too Cry Cry . i will telling uncle fester we will be crabbin in the chester. and we will have a good time we just have to sneak over the mason Dixon line  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh i am really tired of you people.
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »

I've been crabbing in Maryland since 1973......I'll be crabbing there till I die. People like you cause me to tell everyone I know to crab in Maryland. You think you own the resource....guess what you don't...get over it...act like an adult......look it up in a dictionary.

rapp414

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

Don't want to fuel any fires ,but me and Mike(Crewstation) live in NJ,I pay close to 10,000 in property taxes,i'm sure he does too.We could bitch about people using our beaches,rivers etc, which I think you'll agree we're paying a pretty penny for.I welcome anyone from anywhere to use our resources especially those who fought to give freedom for ALL Americans.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »

It's a "Natural" resource...  Not a "National" resource....  I have never understood how a Bay in 2 States can support a 5 or 6 State fishing pressure.  Roll Eyes Glad there are "no crabs in VA".  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »

Don't want to fuel any fires ,but me and Mike(Crewstation) live in NJ,I pay close to 10,000 in property taxes,i'm sure he does too.We could bitch about people using our beaches,rivers etc, which I think you'll agree we're paying a pretty penny for.I welcome anyone from anywhere to use our resources especially those who fought to give freedom for ALL Americans.

The guy is a 44 year old dou.hbag, you can't argue or talk any sense to them. They are so closed minded that they can't understand normal reasoning.
rapp414

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

The guy is a 44 year old dou.hbag, you can't argue or talk any sense to them. They are so closed minded that they can't understand normal reasoning.
Nothing will ever change any of the Marylanders minds that feel that way,and I shouldn't even comment to them.Fortunately I'm able to crab there tomorrow,Like I did yesterday and may again on Sunday.God bless the USA !!!!
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »

so ...you are crying because you landed on BUSHELS of crabs?     Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home