February 23, 2018, 05:28:58 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Cakes in Baltimore  (Read 12479 times)
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »

I took 2 guests there and spent $82.00 (tax included) on 3 platters about 6 weeks ago.
Crabcakes were so big, we each got 2 meals out of the platters.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

anybody eat at the Crabcake Factory? looks a lil gimmiky but the bloody marys look pretty good...lol Ill have to try cocs but its gonna be hard to top Faidleys

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
shedking
Lifetime Member

Weeziana crabbing

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

I'm going to the crab cake factory today. Will let you know. I will also have to try Faidlys.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

I'm going to the crab cake factory today. Will let you know. I will also have to try Faidlys.

just ignore all the Farrakahn wanna be's when you go to Lexington market...lol  was a crazy lil scene the last time I was down there... laugh laugh laugh

KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

just ignore all the Farrakahn wanna be's when you go to Lexington market...lol  was a crazy lil scene the last time I was down there... laugh laugh laugh

People-watchin' is the best part of going to Lexington Market. If you knew how the rats take over after the market closes, I doubt you would ever eat there again. laugh laugh laugh laugh

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »

Rats and mice and roaches are everywhere.. Thats why i dont eat out much. Lol but those cakes are still the best in my book

Galt

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

People-watchin' is the best part of going to Lexington Market. If you knew how the rats take over after the market closes, I doubt you would ever eat there again. laugh laugh laugh laugh

I know this is an old post but the mention of G&M kind'a perked me up.

Lexington is worse than G&M, but only marginally when it comes to sanitation. Used to have to call on their kitchen and more than once found Aztecs sittin' raw chicken bins literally outside on top of trash cans and inside on top of crab meat bins while they prepped. Once walked in and surprised one hard workin' immigrant whizzin' in the triple sink floor drain while he worked. Best part was his gal workin' right next to him washing lettuce in the sink with a bin of raw chicken sitting on the same side drain board. Take a peak in most restaurants' back doors and you'll stay home a lot more often.

When I was a lad I worked at a [curd] hole in Baltimore called Carney Crab House. The nasty arse owner used to make us steam every stinkin' crab that he bought, dead or alive, and he'd serve 'em up at his basement all ya can eat feasts. Reheats, old bad temp stuff, you name it, Joe would sell it. Back then Severn and Wye had some of the best crabs that we would see and those would go to his catering jobs, but the stuff that was served in the restaurant and carry-out could'a, should'a, would'a, killed somebody. The cheap bugger also used to make the dishwasher pick uneaten garnishes off of people's plates and rinse 'em off to be re-used. Butter patties, little cups of tarter and cocktail sauce... the guy was just nuts.

Just about every place I've ever been in the kitchen of has issues. The only notable exception was the Greek Isle Restaurant on Eastern Ave. in Greek Town. The man knew his fish and nothin' but the best did I ever see in his walk-in, and the kitchen... immaculate. Even in his old building, the floors were literally clean enough to eat off of.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It is simply too painful to acknowledge - even to ourselves - that we've been so credulous." - Carl Sagan
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »

I remember Carney Crab House. The place always did look dirty. The stench out back was indescribable. We would go in there to drink cheap pitchers of beer. Never ate the food.

lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »

Pappas, Casa Mias, or By the Docks are my go to. Casa Mias has been great as of recent. A double crabcake platter, and a single crabcake platter both with 2 sides and a tip for about $50. And the sides didnt make you feel like you were gettin ripped either.
Jetboat crabber

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

Faidley's is awesome.

A day on the Bay is better than a day anywhere!

KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

I didn't really care for the filler that Pappa's used the last time I was there a couple years ago. It was kinda pasty/doughy, but the overall experience was ok.

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:49 AM »

Faidley's is awesome.

My fave so far!! Heard mo's has some nice cakes on ritchie hwy. anyone have any input on them?

redhanded

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

Not in Baltimore, but the second best crab cake I've ever had was from Drum Point Store on Smith Island Md. It has been a coons age since I've had one thou.
Rich Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »

Hey, old thread but I'm new here.  Smiley

Whatever happened to O'Brycki's?  I used to dearly love their crabcakes.  When I worked in downtown Baltimore, I used to swing by there quite often to get some carry-out crabcakes to take home for late dinner.  Even when I moved down to Florida I would on occasion order some crabcakes from them and have them shipped down. Till one time I got a batch delivered and they were so funky I couldn't eat them.  I emailed O'Brycki's about them and never got a response.  Then followed up a couple of weeks later and they did issue me a refund.  So a year or so later I wanted to give them another try and I guess the guy remembered that I complained about the crabcakes and gave me the "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" routine.

Looks like they are gone from their old place, so maybe the quality issue caught up with them.  Shame, though.  I've enjoyed many a crabcake from them over the years.

I have to give that Faidley's a call.  I went to their website and my belly actually growled when I saw a pic of one of their crabcakes.  Anyone know what prices run there?  I know shipping will be expensive, but if the crabcakes are as good as you all seem to indicate, I can splurge now and again.  I think I only stopped in there once or twice when I lived in Maryland, but not sure why I didn't frequent them more.  I guess you all living in Maryland take the wealth of excellent seafood places for granted, like I certainly did when I lived there.  Heck, around here, you may think you are getting fresh Gulf of Mexico seafood, but don't kid yourself.  Most of the seafood served is imported junk. If you are lucky they will tell you the truth if you ask beforehand.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 04:21:57 AM »

Hey, old thread but I'm new here.  Smiley

Whatever happened to O'Brycki's?  I used to dearly love their crabcakes.  When I worked in downtown Baltimore, I used to swing by there quite often to get some carry-out crabcakes to take home for late dinner.  Even when I moved down to Florida I would on occasion order some crabcakes from them and have them shipped down. Till one time I got a batch delivered and they were so funky I couldn't eat them.  I emailed O'Brycki's about them and never got a response.  Then followed up a couple of weeks later and they did issue me a refund.  So a year or so later I wanted to give them another try and I guess the guy remembered that I complained about the crabcakes and gave me the "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" routine.

Looks like they are gone from their old place, so maybe the quality issue caught up with them.  Shame, though.  I've enjoyed many a crabcake from them over the years.

I have to give that Faidley's a call.  I went to their website and my belly actually growled when I saw a pic of one of their crabcakes.  Anyone know what prices run there?  I know shipping will be expensive, but if the crabcakes are as good as you all seem to indicate, I can splurge now and again.  I think I only stopped in there once or twice when I lived in Maryland, but not sure why I didn't frequent them more.  I guess you all living in Maryland take the wealth of excellent seafood places for granted, like I certainly did when I lived there.  Heck, around here, you may think you are getting fresh Gulf of Mexico seafood, but don't kid yourself.  Most of the seafood served is imported junk. If you are lucky they will tell you the truth if you ask beforehand.

I think they opened a place at Arundel mills mall Wink

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »

If you are in Harford county, try Box Hill Pizza. Hard to believe a pizza place has great crab cakes but true. Be prepared to wait in line no matter what day or what time for their crab cakes. They can't make them fast enough for the never ending crowd. $15 a crab cake. Buy a bag of them while you're there.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home