December 14, 2019, 03:37:06 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What upsets you guys while crabbing?  (Read 13609 times)
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

Edit

When  the  crabbers  on  the  east  coast  don't  thing  the  crabbers   

on  the  gulf  coast  have  a  crab  measuring  device or camera.     LOL 

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
bigjohntate

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »

Down in the south (gulf) nothing ruins a trip like no-se-ums. Little tiny bugs that bite the [shiz] outta ya

"I had to punch him...He was starting to make sense."
crabchip

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »

When its so hot you sweat thru your shirt on the way to the dock and end up shirtless on the ride out. those are the days that everyone is a little touchy out there. Man i dont like the humidity either.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

Another thing-sea nettles, when I used to crab pot.  HOLY $HIT.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »

Another thing-sea nettles, when I used to crab pot.  HOLY $HIT.
Oh God yes.. Specially when the winds blown a bitch...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »

My first experience boating/crabbing and before we could leave the marina we were faced with several lines hanging from the bridge.  Basically people who wanted to crab but not on a boat...and decided to drop traps from the top of a bridge.  Navigating that was not fun and for a first timer I was turned off by that.  This is probably not something people experience outside of the Navesink in NJ.

Not upsetting but more just an observation.  Crabbing with minors can be a difficult proposition.  Example - in 2011 I was in OC Maryland and went to Assateague.  My kids were happy to tag along and i had several traps to use.  Put a trap in and less than 25 seconds go by and the kids are like - can i pull it up?  30 seconds go by...can i pull it up?  LOL.  This is why it's not a bad idea to bring a fishing rod if you're crabbing off a pier.

That stated more than anything I take pleasure  being around friends/family doing something enjoyable, whether we catch a few or a bushel is less relevant - though certainly more is better!   Grin
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »

i don't get upset, but the boats going by w/ topless bikinis removes the thought that you are really having fun crabbin'... gorgeous
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »

Sounds like I need to crab in Florida.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »

Down in the south (gulf) nothing ruins a trip like no-se-ums. Little tiny bugs that bite the [shiz] outta ya

Or when the no-see-ums are so thick you inhale, chew, swallow, and exhale!
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »

Thanks to a good friend I found a place with no crowds, very few bugs, and plenty of crabs.  The ramp there seldom has more than 2 or three vehicles in the lot, and most of the summer the best crabbing is away from where the jet skiers go.  When I'm on the boat running traps there is almost nothing that can get to me. Life is otherwise so stressful with work and home responsibilities, the time I get to crab brings me a peace that nothing other than spending a day in the woods does. I still have trouble sleeping the night before crabbing and get as excited to hook up the boat and go as I did when I was a little kid no matter how many trips I take each year. I guess to answer the question in a word,  "nothing". 

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »

Thanks to a good friend I found a place with no crowds, very few bugs, and plenty of crabs.  The ramp there seldom has more than 2 or three vehicles in the lot, and most of the summer the best crabbing is away from where the jet skiers go.  When I'm on the boat running traps there is almost nothing that can get to me. Life is otherwise so stressful with work and home responsibilities, the time I get to crab brings me a peace that nothing other than spending a day in the woods does. I still have trouble sleeping the night before crabbing and get as excited to hook up the boat and go as I did when I was a little kid no matter how many trips I take each year. I guess to answer the question in a word,  "nothing". 

Not even the jet skis on said creek?

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »

Not even the jet skis on said creek?

The jet skis when I'm downstream low enough to see them can be a minor annoyance, but not enough to upset me.  Since I crab mostly early mornings, I'm usually headed off the water before they start showing up.
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »

Empty parking lot.  No crowds.  Lots of crabs.  He must be talking about the Wye. Grin

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »

Another guy on the forum and I talk about this every time we go out. 

"You sleep last night?" 

"Not really." 

"Me either."

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »

Let's see.....  my buddy's oversleeping  then showing up an hour late which then makes me late get the ramp late launch suns already up no spots to crab because of it... then losses my traps.... drink all my sodas and subs in the boat.. then all my beer at home . and then show up with 8 people in their family who then demolish a bushel and half of crabs at my house and then not offer to help clean up or pay for anything including truck gas, boat gas, bait, bay bridge toll, lunch soda's , food beer, crabs, seasoning.. did I mention beer ..  ...

Sounds like most of my trips  starting to wonder why I keep doing it.....   laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

MD / PA Line

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

Let's see.....  my buddy's oversleeping  then showing up an hour late which then makes me late get the ramp late launch suns already up no spots to crab because of it... then losses my traps.... drink all my sodas and subs in the boat.. then all my beer at home . and then show up with 8 people in their family who then demolish a bushel and half of crabs at my house and then not offer to help clean up or pay for anything including truck gas, boat gas, bait, bay bridge toll, lunch soda's , food beer, crabs, seasoning.. did I mention beer ..  ...

Sounds like most of my trips  starting to wonder why I keep doing it.....   laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Dang.. Bushel and a half.. You should be happy about your best outing ever.. Smiley

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
crabchip

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

sounds like a friend that stops by and drinks your beer all night while you bait your line. then is the first one to ask for some crabs the next day for free.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »

Dang.. Bushel and a half.. You should be happy about your best outing ever.. Smiley

Hey FP.... SHUT UP!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry  laugh laugh laugh laugh  really...  hmmmm  you're hilarious....

I only catch what I need and can use within reason.. not every trip do I have to catch 2 bushel or bust....  different philsophy FP....   limit your kill not kill your limit........... stages of being a hunter / fisherman.. early stage is to catch all you can and take all you can.... but later on you get to a state that you realize that you take what you need because the real reason you are out hunting or fishing is the bigger picture ... time with friends and family..... commmaradery, scenery, a sunrise or sunset.. oh yeah and a few crabs, or maybe a duck or goose or two, maybe a deer if lucky that day... just ices the cake of a nice day being afield..... guess you just don't understand that one yet... hope one day you do.......  Wink  Grin

MD / PA Line
CRAB SNATCHER

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »

When a truck load of drunk Mexicans decide to do cannonballs in our honeyhole where a culvert runs under the road, funny how the crabs stopped running after that.

GROWING OLD IN INEVITABLE
GROWING UP IN OPTIONAL
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »

WHen some guy wont give me a refund when his rental sinks, then his goons throw me in the water and loose my Mercedes keys Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home