December 09, 2018, 03:40:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab count down?  (Read 17198 times)
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »

Galt,

Well stated, very intelligent interpretation of the problem. However...not once did you mention the real scoorge of the crab population demise....the non resident rec crabber. Ask any Marylander and they will tell you where the true blame belongs. Sad Sad Sad
Captain Dave

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »

Last year was no record year.It was poor and many crabbers spent more time washing pots than catching crabs.Also,the red drum didnt do it.I can remember years when there were croakers everywhere (also big crab eaters)and there were plenty of crabs around.The Bays water quality sucks and the grasses are depleted.Scientists and watermen know this to be the problem so why the emphasis on these bushel limits?I do not understand.   
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »

Last year was no record year.It was poor and many crabbers spent more time washing pots than catching crabs.Also,the red drum didnt do it.I can remember years when there were croakers everywhere (also big crab eaters)and there were plenty of crabs around.The Bays water quality sucks and the grasses are depleted.Scientists and watermen know this to be the problem so why the emphasis on these bushel limits?I do not understand.   

It's all about "CONTROL".............
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »

"Since when do plants need sunlight to perform photosynthesis? Besides, with all of that pesky prop fouling grass gone we can grow more of that wonderful algae, 'cuz that's a whole lot better than water filtering shellfish, wetlands and grasses. " ....
Be nice, Obie says algae is the oil of the future,,, just part of the plan of Obie?Huh    Shocked
Crabby Captn John

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »

Count down?Huh  Not only are they a good size but I average 11 keepers per pot on a 2 day soak. Best since I started keeping records 2 years ago for this time of year.

capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

Guy's I don't know what to tell you but the story is the same here.  NO CRABS.  Crab counts are down everywhere in my neighborhood.  My cousin who is a commercial "potter to y'all" is running 450 pot per day on a 7 day set and is only catching 175 pounds.  The price on 1's are holding but otherwise he is barely making expense money.  Crawfish on the other hand is booming.  High Mississippi River levels are keeping those mudbugs nice and soft.  Pond crawfish is almost over due to the heat.  If you haven't see the video Paul made ya gotta check it out.  Next week I'll be with him catching crawfish instead of crabbing.

By the way who wants crawfish?  I can ship them to MD or anywhere SW goes.  Let me know.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »

Guy's I don't know what to tell you but the story is the same here.  NO CRABS.  
Could this be the end of the world? end

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

The problem is water quailty,no dought and from what i see it will never be fixed. to do what has to be done to fix it will cost more that anyone who matters will spend or do. so enjoy the bay and crabs while they are here.PS the reason for the bu limits on the females is to see just where the bay is at when it comes to carrying capacity and crabs. no one knows for sure just how many crabs the bay can support in the condition it's in so they cut the sook catch to see how many new crabs will live. I think they found their ansewer last year with the winter dredge survey. thats where all the small crabs went and they know it.
DOUGT88

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

I LIVE IN CENTRAL NJ GOING CRABBING ROR THE FRIST TIME THIS YEAR IN BELMAR NJ GOING CRABBING t 530 am .......... GOOD LUCK TO YOU TO .. HOPE TO CATCH ALOT !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home