November 24, 2020, 05:53:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horseshoe Crabs being "poached"  (Read 3873 times)
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »

LOL...talk about bad timing (for the crooks)....

Two cops testing night vision goggles from an NYPD helicopter during a routine training exercise stumbled upon a crab-poaching operation Monday night, police said.

Officer Lester Sanabria was piloting a helicopter about 500 feet off the ground around 9:45 p.m., when he and his partner Chris Maher spotted several creeping around an abandoned beach in Jamaica Bay in the pitch-black night, cops said.

They hovered down to about 200 feet off the ground and their high-tech eyewear revealed Robert Wolter, 28, and Joseph Knauer, 33, loading two vessels with horseshoe crabs, Maher said.

The crabs fuel a $60 million-a-year market for pharmaceutical companies that process their copper-based blood to sanitize medical equipment. One quart of the blood can fetch up to $15,000, according to experts. The crabs are also used for fertilizer and fishing bait.

“From a biological point of view, they’re worth their weight in gold,” said Marine biologist Martin P. Schreibman. “They’re prehistoric animals that play a very important role for bird migration and the pharmaceutical industry. Their value is immeasurable.”

Wolter and Knauer led cops on a chase past Marine Park and into Sheepshead Bay where local precinct cops and U.S. Parks Department police helped nabbed the duo. A second boat and its occupants managed to flee.

Both men are charged with violating a federal wildlife protection measure that prohibits taking wildlife from a National Park. They will appear in Brooklyn Federal Court and face fines up to $500. Federal regulations also allow for six months in jail but law enforcement sources said that’s unlikely in this case.

“It’s illegally taking wildlife from a National Park,” said Lt. David Buckley of the U.S. Parks Police. “It’s pretty common here and it’s a lucrative business.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cops_testing_night_vision_goggles_vlwC6p1bWtm2FASudAlwvJ
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »

good the fine should be more.  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »

i agree - but in reality locking up two guys trying to make a living (albeit illegally) won't deter others.  They need to find out which pharma companies are recruiting/paying these people and fine the he11 out of that company to discourage the practice.
doomdealer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »

good the fine should be more.  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

thumbsup
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »

When I was a kid Jamaica Bay was one my spots to crab....Great... Even then there were tons of horse shoe crabs

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..

mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »

the feel good media tells you the pharma companies remove some blood and then release the crabs back into the wild

and the media is niver wrong - is it
 Roll Eyes
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »

I don't like my horseshoe crabs poached,I like mine STEAMED!

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
Grizzly36

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:57 AM »

I don't like my horseshoe crabs poached,I like mine STEAMED!

CBC?

Trips              
Bushels          
Traps            
Trotline      
Crabs picked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home