February 17, 2018, 08:15:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing trotline in west bay  (Read 4450 times)
MRussell

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

OK, I do not come here often, and please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area. I plan on putting out 2 300 yard lines in west bay(TX) possibly in christmas bay. They will be Texas regulation trotlines, cotton, I have caught over 450 6-7 inch crabs in 1 day on my lines, but I only bring home 40-50( I have only caught 4 also), I do not like to clean and freeze, only fresh crabs is what I want. Instead of running my lines and picking them up, I wanna leave lines out, bait them 5am or so on my days off, fish for few hours, and run crab lines before I head home.

I am thinking about putting permanent(will be a 5/16 cotton line) lines out, taking home what I want and just leaving baited lines out instead of rolling lines and poles up so any local crabbers can run them.
     The way I lay tham out they will not be caught in any ones prop and in the off chance the are tore from placement poles cotton does rot.

The reason I am making this post is that I am usually done fishing/crabbing by 11am, if I leave lines out with bait then there will be more crabs to pick up, so after a day of fishing, come run my lines to pick up few crabs.

I will wait on any reply before I post contact info, dont wanna break any forum rules, I dont know them(sorry). And I think I left the option for my email to be public anyway
MRussell

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »

I work 5-6 12 hour days week, so, kinda hard to schedule anything, was just lookin for local fisherman(crab lover) who may wanna run my lines on the days I leave bait in the water
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »

Your bait wont last 12 hours in the water if your catchin that many crabs.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:13:46 AM »

Where in West Bay have you ran your line?  I only tried once and did not get the line played out correctly. I would be interested .
Thanks
MRussell

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »

The day there were crabs on almost every bait, every run was about 3 years ago in the cut between chocolate and christmas bay. And it wasnt exactly trotline, more like throw lines with 10 pieces of bait, with half a brick tied on one end and a float on the other. Last year was the first time I ever heard of using a trotline for crabs(read about it here) watched few vids on it and tried it out. I tried it in the middle channel between christmas and chocolate, caught several crabs but the tide moves swift thru there.

I was thinking about putting it in bastrop bay, descent crabbing from boat there, but the here and there oysters may cut the line. Havent really thought it 100% out. And I want to just leave the line there, to bait the next weekend, someone else may as well use it on days I am not.

BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

The day there were crabs on almost every bait, every run was about 3 years ago in the cut between chocolate and christmas bay. And it wasnt exactly trotline, more like throw lines with 10 pieces of bait, with half a brick tied on one end and a float on the other. Last year was the first time I ever heard of using a trotline for crabs(read about it here) watched few vids on it and tried it out. I tried it in the middle channel between christmas and chocolate, caught several crabs but the tide moves swift thru there.

I was thinking about putting it in bastrop bay, descent crabbing from boat there, but the here and there oysters may cut the line. Havent really thought it 100% out. And I want to just leave the line there, to bait the next weekend, someone else may as well use it on days I am not.

I never heard of crabbing with trotlines until I joined this site 5 years ago. Is the channel you referring to the long one that runs from the north end of Coles Pass to Intercoastal canal?
There is a lot of oyster reefs or old well pads  over there also.
BJ1fish
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

Also I am concerned about trot lining in Texas. The only regulations I see for trot lines define it as having hooks and there is a lot of regulations for saltwater trotlines. So hopefully there is no regulations on crab trot lines. Might need to call a game warden for clarification

One of them being:No trotline or trotline components (EXCEPT Sail Lines), including lines and hooks, but excluding poles, may be left in or on coastal waters between the hours of 1 p.m. on Friday through 1 p.m. on Sunday of each week, except that attended sail lines are excluded from the restrictions imposed by this clause. In the event small craft advisories or higher marine weather advisories issued by the National Weather Service are in place at 8 a.m. on Friday, trotlines may remain in the water until 6 p.m. on Friday. If small craft advisories are in place at 1 p.m. on Friday, trotlines may remain in the water until Saturday. When small craft advisories are lifted by 8 a.m. on Saturday, trotlines must be removed by 6 p.m. on Saturday. When small craft advisories or higher marine weather advisories are still in place at 1 p.m. on Saturday, trotlines may remain in the water through 1 p.m. on Sunday. It is a violation to tend, bait, or harvest fish or any other aquatic life from trotlines during the period that trotline removal requirements are suspended under this provision for adverse weather conditions. For purposes of enforcement, the geographic area customarily covered by marine weather advisories will be delineated by department policy.
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »

The Parks and Wildlife Regulations define a trotline as: a non-metallic main fishing line with more than five hooks attached and with each end attached to a fixture.  Since a crabbing "trotline" does not meet this definition it would not fall under the trotline regulations. 

Looking at the legal ways to harvest crabs in regulations  a crab line is defined as a baited line with no hook attached.   They have no restrictions.  Since a crab trotline is a baited line with no hooks attached it fit the description and would have no restrictions. 

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
MRussell

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »

The game warden I spoke with was unclear on the rules, told me I needed a dated gear tag on anything left in the water. Maybe I will just stick with throw lines from the boat while I am fishing.
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

If there are crabs there and you leave your trotline in the water very long they will clean all the bait off of it in a few hours.

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 06:53:20 AM »

I think this is the best place for this post, as it really comes down to a regulations discussion about what you want to do.

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

I know in Florida, game and fish want the line to be tended.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home