October 27, 2021, 12:33:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wholesale Crabs All Over Maryland, DE, VA, NC, SC  (Read 27801 times)
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »

I'd bet most of the Picking Houses in Maryland are Picking mostly out of state crabs right now...I know many of our #2's are being sent there... Wink............Nothing wrong with Maryland have a True Carolina Blue Crab........... Roll Eyes
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »

just like oysters

to be a Chincoteague oyster, the oyster has to be in Chincoteague waters 24 hours by law - so they soak them for 24 hours

from the article below:
Even though native Chincoteague oysters were gone by the 1940s due to overfishing and disease (I heard mostly disease, like the borer worm)

[Oysters transplanted from the Chesapeake Bay into Chincoteague Bay] allowed them to be marketed as Chincoteague Bay oysters and also gave them a saltier taste than oysters from other areas

http://www.tobyislandoysters.com/more.htm

I guess with crabs, it just takes breathing in the maryland air and steaming them uncleaned
 laugh laugh
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 01:55:56 AM »

just like oysters

to be a Chincoteague oyster, the oyster has to be in Chincoteague waters 24 hours by law - so they soak them for 24 hours

from the article below:
Even though native Chincoteague oysters were gone by the 1940s due to overfishing and disease (I heard mostly disease, like the borer worm)

[Oysters transplanted from the Chesapeake Bay into Chincoteague Bay] allowed them to be marketed as Chincoteague Bay oysters and also gave them a saltier taste than oysters from other areas

http://www.tobyislandoysters.com/more.htm

I guess with crabs, it just takes breathing in the maryland air and steaming them uncleaned
 laugh laugh

The chinco oyster strain is totally different from a bay oyster. If you cant tell the difference you havnt eaten enough.. And there still are beds of chinco oysters in chinco;)

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »

The chinco oyster strain is totally different from a bay oyster. If you cant tell the difference you havnt eaten enough.. And there still are beds of chinco oysters in chinco;)
Sorry but not so...  They are all eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica) also called Atlantic oyster or Virginia oyster. Even the "blue points" from up north are Crassostrea virginica.  Crassostrea virginica range from GOF to Canada. Johns is also right.  They farm oysters bayside then take them to Chincoteague to soak in the water for a few days.  Seaside oysters do taste different then bayside because of the saltier water.

However, there are no oysters in VA.   Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

Sorry but not so...  They are all eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica) also called Atlantic oyster or Virginia oyster. Even the "blue points" from up north are Crassostrea virginica.  Crassostrea virginica range from GOF to Canada. Johns is also right.  They farm oysters bayside then take them to Chincoteague to soak in the water for a few days.  Seaside oysters do taste different then bayside because of the saltier water.

However, there are no oysters in VA.   Grin

jack is right....and

not that I or any restaurant ever did this, but
people have been known to save and clean the prettyest oyster shells
than ploop a canned oyster on the shell - out of sight in the kitchen of course
then sprinkle with McDonald's french fry salt - it is very fine and easily disolves

the people would rave about the oysters and the salty delicious taste
instant chincoteague oysters
 laugh laugh
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:37:23 PM by mdjohn » Logged

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »

Sorry but not so...  They are all eastern oysters (Crassostrea virginica) also called Atlantic oyster or Virginia oyster. Even the "blue points" from up north are Crassostrea virginica.  Crassostrea virginica range from GOF to Canada. Johns is also right.  They farm oysters bayside then take them to Chincoteague to soak in the water for a few days.  Seaside oysters do taste different then bayside because of the saltier water.

However, there are no oysters in VA.   Grin

Then why are bluepoints.. Chinco's, malpeques,ches bay.. All are different shapes, sizes, different meat? If you cant tell the difference between those oysters then you need to eat more Wink

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »

Then why are bluepoints.. Chinco's, malpeques,ches bay.. All are different shapes, sizes, different meat? If you cant tell the difference between those oysters then you need to eat more Wink

I believe you'll find that Jack is right if you look into it.
The variations in shell shape, texture, taste, etc., are all due to the environmental conditions where the oysters grow.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

I believe you'll find that Jack is right if you look into it.
The variations in shell shape, texture, taste, etc., are all due to the environmental conditions where the oysters grow.

Where they GROW.. My point exactly Wink

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »

Where they GROW.. My point exactly Wink

Well, then you need to go back and retract this post:"The chinco oyster strain is totally different from a bay oyster. If you cant tell the difference you havnt eaten enough.. And there still are beds of chinco oysters in chinco;"

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:05:22 PM by Mikie » Logged
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »

Well, then you need to go back and retract this post:"The chinco oyster strain is totally different from a bay oyster. If you cant tell the difference you havnt eaten enough.. And there still are beds of chinco oysters in chinco;"

Put 3 oysters of each kind in a pile and ill sort them out for you.. Just saying. They are different. Your telling me you cant tell the diff between a chinco oyster and a bluepoint? You should turn in your sea legs.. Lmao

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

No, what I'm telling you is if I take them and put them in the same salinity for 2 weeks, and then shuck them in a bowl - you won't be able to tell the difference. You're basing most of your analysis on the size and shape of the shell.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

No, what I'm telling you is if I take them and put them in the same salinity for 2 weeks, and then shuck them in a bowl - you won't be able to tell the difference. You're basing most of your analysis on the size and shape of the shell.

Bluepoints have a whiter meat Wink and the shape of the oyster inside is pretty much similar to the shell. Malpeques are the closest to chincos in my opinion. A bay oyster put into saltier water is still a bay oyster.. Lol. Just like " chincoteague shellfish farms" on the PAX.. Oysters are not even close to chincos in either shape, taste or texture Wink

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »

I'm not going to continue the argument. You believe what you want. Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »

Its facts. Not an argument

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

I been raising oysters for about 10 years.  My best friend is a commercial oyster grower.  He does millions and millions of them each season.  Raises them in the Sound then sells them to a grower that soaks them seaside for 15 days.  FP, when you cross over the new Chincoteague Bridge, look on the south side at all the floats.  They are not raising oysters in them.  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »

I been raising oysters for about 10 years.  My best friend is a commercial oyster grower.  He does millions and millions of them each season.  Raises them in the Sound then sells them to a grower that soaks them seaside for 15 days.  FP, when you cross over the new Chincoteague Bridge, look on the south side at all the floats.  They are not raising oysters in them.  Wink

Used to be minnow floats on the southside.. They have been seeding oyster beds for 2000 years( literally) im not doubting that. Ill start taking some pics of the oysters im eating..  With identification tags Smiley ive been eating oysters for 30 years ... Pretty sure i kno a lil about them. Wink

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »

How long ya been eating soft crabs Bud?  Huh  Wink Grin laugh

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

About the same. Only been makin fresh ones for a few years thanks to some old guy who gave me some pointers.. Lol. I know you had some oyster pics you posted before when you were buying thise big chincos.. I cant find any oyster pics in my files.

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »

You should buy one of my Chinco oyster tins thats on ebay right now. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.. And daddy needs gas money.... Lmao

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »

the shape of chinc. oysters as far as i know are kinda long and narrow,but usually somewhat deep. Is this correct?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home